“Charming and Comfortable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
louisville
“Charming and Comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

I booked two rooms for a "girls" weekend at the Yankee Peddler via Hotels. Then I read the reviews and needless to say I was very concerned. Our time at the Yankee Peddler Inn was marvelous. The rooms were clean, beds comfy and the staff pleasant. The "morning room" in the basement was charming and provided a gathering place where we ate and drank "carry in" without disrupting the house. On-site parking was a plus and without problems. This inn is old but quaint with nice ambeiance and cozy. I loved it and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

Beware, this inn has abysmal customer service. Better to spend your money elsewhere!

Stayed April 2006
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2005

I must admit we was pretty nervous about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but we were pleasantly suprised. We stayed with our two year old son on the first floor in the room next to the front desk. I would describe the room as spacious, clean,charming and simply comfortable. We felt as if we were staying with family because the staff was so friendly and accomadating. We experienced a stay that felt much more personable and relaxed than the five star hotel located down the street. I think the one critism about our stay would be about the common area in the basement. It was very cozy and Coffee and tea are available with some prepackaged cookies, cereal and a fruit bowl. More of a grab and go type layout. It was nice that there was a small fridge in the kitchenette area to keep milk for our toddler but I would also suggest that the inn update the kitchenette with a more cleanable floor surface.

Stayed July 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2005

My daughter and son-in-law booked us a room at the Yankee Peddler Inn for the Veteran's Day weekend. We found the Inn to be a charming space. Our room was large, with 3 oversized windows which provided ample lighting, and a large bathroom. The room was immaculate and the beds, while not the most confortable I have ever slept on, were adequate. The staff at the Inn couldn't have been friendlier and more helpful. The breakfast room was cozy and comfortable with ample food for any taste: the Inn's convenience to the shopping and dining on Thames Street is definitely one of it's best assets. My husband and I also brought along another couple who found their accommodations just as suitable as we did.

• Stayed November 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2005

Iadequate parking (signs on street states parking w/o resident sticker will be tolled). Told to leave car key at front desk so if someone had to get out (cars paked in the middle) the cars will be moved. Attendant admitted she did not know how to drive a stick (manual transmission car) . No public parking in area except downtown. Employee called & moved us to another one of the owner's inns (told we will be refunded the night we were charged at the yankee peddler) instead i found out through my credit card that we are to be charged for both inns. After calling inn to inquire about the charge the assistant manager hung up. room small. we were not in the main house though we booked for a superior room.

Stayed September 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for only one night. Thank goodness! We had a room in the carriage house. It was very noisy. I havn't slept that bad since my son was an infant! Between the old air conditioner noise and the street traffic, it was awful. The bathroom needed updating. The tile shower was covered in mildew. There is nothing worse than a dirty shower! The parking situation was horrible! We had to park in the lot and leave our keys with the receptionist in case she had to move it to let other cars out (which she did often). They were less than friendly and inviting. I would spend the extra money and stay somewhere new and up to date. The Inns in Newport can be very old! Your lucky if you find one that you are comfortable in.

• Stayed July 2005
Mass.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

We stayed at the Yankee Peddler the last weekend of July.
We should have paid extra and stayed at the Marriott..
The rooms were dark, poorly lit and musty smelling.
If your over 5 feet tall, and weigh more than 90 lbs, then you will not
fit into the shower!. You can not take a comfortable shower without
banging your head or elbows.
The sink was so small you could barely brush your teeth without getting the whole entire bathroom soaking wet.
No phones in the room, and the television is so small you have to squint to
see it from the bed. The furniture is falling apart, with broken drawers.
They call the furniture antiques....more like ready for the dump....
Do not stay here,,, pay a little more and stay somewhere else...

• Stayed August 2005
, Inn Manager at Yankee Peddler Inn, responded to this review, May 12, 2006
I would like to thank all of our former guests for expressing their thoughts and opinions of their stay at the Yankee Peddler Inn. It is very disappointing to hear that people experience discomfort or displeasure when staying with us, as we at the Yankee Peddler try so hard. We are friendly and accomodating. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to provide a clean and comfortable room for each guest. I understand that this is not the Inn for everyone, but I do understand that it is the Inn for many. We are a successful business not because we offer dirty rooms and unfriendly customer service. We have many repeat guests who understand our quirks and find them quite charming. Our parking lot is small and at times the front desk staff valet park cars as needed. We provide free parking in a town where it is at a minimum and towing is a regular occurance and we try to accommodate guests by offering to move their cars so they may go about their leisure. We inform anyone who does not wish to park here of the paid off-street near by, which they may choose instead. As for the noise level from the street etc., we are located in downtown Newport, a busy vacation place. The rooms all have private bathrooms. Some are larger than others and most have been recently updated. Each room has window type air conditioning that is installed by Memorial Day weekend and unistalled by Columbus Day weekend. The Yankee Peddler Inn is an old building built in the 1830's and 1850's. We have tried to maintain some of its original charm. Our common area is located in the lower basement level where the original brick oven and cooking area is visible. If you are considering coming to Newport and staying with us, do as several former guests did after reading Trip Advisor and call us. I assure you; a friendly, informative reservationist will greet you and be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Laura Kay Coggeshall
Inn Manager

Been to Yankee Peddler Inn? Share your experiences!