“Your Little Apartment in Newport” 5 of 5 stars

Pelham Court Hotel
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   14 Pelham Street, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #14 of 101 Newport B&B and Inns
San Francisco Bay Area
“Your Little Apartment in Newport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

*I've been lazy and haven't written a review for this place since our trip over a year ago. So not the most current...* Well T.A. reviewers really gave this place some stellar marks and I decided to take a chance on this place and it really paid off! This was the last leg of our mini tour of New England and after staying in Providence for a few days my wife exclaimed, "Why didn't we just come and stay here?"

The grounds aren't huge, they have a lovely little courtyard and the office is located right there. This feels like it was an apartment/condo building at some point rather than a hotel but that doesn't work against it at all. Your close to downtown, mere blocks really. Parking is easy in their car port area.

Accommodations were brilliant. Just like having your own modern apartment in Newport. Kitchen with an island, Full range and plenty of counter space. Nice rugs & hardwood floors. Nothing looked chewed up or overused. Bedroom was a good size and the only drawback was the bed wasn't king-sized and the wife had to endure me snoring up close and personal like. Service was fine and breakfast nook was well supplied. Housekeeping was well done. I had no funky demands though so I never really put them to the test service wise.

Rates were great for the area and I felt like they were a good value. (Errr...$160-$180 at the time?) It was during the late fall and compared to the other older & overpriced properties we looked at, we felt that we arrived at the best place possible. Definitely will stay again when we go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had a really fabulous stay at the Pelham Court last week (late MAR 2013). Unfortunately, for us, it was just a one night visit.

We found the hotel after wading through the mountain of B&B and hotel options on Tripadvisor for Newport RI. We sourced a great deal via Expedia. I guess being mid-week, off season we lucked out with a really outstanding rate.

The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect. We are talking a stone’s throw from America’s Cup Avenue, and walking distance to Thames Street, the waterfront and all the great restaurants and fun bars. This place must really rock in Summer time.

The property was very easy to find and the staff we met (Kate, the Manager and her offsider) were incredibly welcoming and helpful. On site parking was very handy for us also. The hotel is really beautifully renovated, with wonderful watercolours and prints of many of the stunning old Newport mansions, on the walls in our one-bedroom suite and the common hallways. (Coffee station was a nice touch too and we used it a few times).

We opened the door to our one-bedroom apartment to find this huge, bright living space, with gas fireplace, massive couches very functional kitchen with full size fridge, appliances and dishwasher. The bathroom was spotless. The bedroom really comfortable.

I would absolutely stay at the Pelham Court again if I re-visited Newport, RI.

Be sure to do the Sea Cliff drive to check out the jaw dropping mansions for which Newport is famous – and wander the length of Thames Street.

Plenty of dining options around (we tried Benjamin’s for lunch - 3-course seafood feast for $16 - which is located 30 seconds walk from the Pelham Court) and some fine local Rhode Island beers.

Our pick however, was a fabulous little Mexican style place on Bowen’s Wharf (across the road from Pelham Street) called Diego’s. Brilliant food and a mountain of it. Excellent service too. The chef came out of the kitchen, right to our table to tell us one ingredient for our dish was out, so these were our alternatives. Really impressive.

Newport is absolutely gorgeous and for me, a trip to sailing 'Mecca'. I have to come back in the warmer months and jump on a boat.

Room Tip: They are all a little different in layout and style, due to the historic nature of the property. Roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but I felt that this place exceeded all expectations and made my anniversary so special. Classy, spacious, and immaculate! this place feels like a home away from home.

It took me a long time to decide on a hotel since this was my first time to Newport and it was a special occasion. When comparing the price with other local chain hotels it was really an easy choice. My husband and I found the staff was welcoming and helpful throughout the weekend!

I plan on returning to this hidden gem the next time were in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Went with some girfriends and the place is fabulous to stay. The room was clean, perfect location and very comfortable bed!! We will go back to this Inn everytime we come to Newport now, which is a couple of times a year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice and every time have an amazing experience. I have stayed here for a getaway with my fiance and another time with a group of girl friends. This convenient location is great to walk to local restaurants, bars, and shopping. The staff are so friendly and always suggests the best spots in town no matter what occasion. I recommend this spot for any type of stay whether your staying with families, partners,or a group friends. The rooms are very spacious and tasteful and suit any type of stay. It doesn't feel like you are staying at a hotel, but a comfortable upscale condo.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed recently at this lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Newport for a girls weekend in early January. We were able to reserve the 2 bedroom apartment suite, which included two large rooms and a lovely living-room perfect for pre-dinner drinks. The location is perfect, located in the heart of Newport it was easy for us to walk to an amazing waterfront restaurant for drinks and dinner. In the morning we were able to walk the historic neighborhood and take in some shopping. The rooms were very clean and the beds were especially comfortable! The staff was also amazing and very friendly! They were quick with recommendations for area places to grab drinks and dinner, which were both AMAZING! I will definitely be back to stay there very soon!

Room Tip: The large 2 bedroom suite was beautiful with views of the courtyard and extremely spacious. I could...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pelham Court Hotel? Share your experiences!