“Average and a bit high priced” 2 of 5 stars

Pineapple Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   372 Coddington Hwy., off Rt. 114, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Calgary, AB, Canada
“Average and a bit high priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

There are certainly some good things to say about the motel. The location is good and convenient. I like parking right at the door to the room. The rooms are large and beds are OK comfort-wise. No bugs for me. Newport is expensive, so for the price, an expectation of "so-so" could be expected.

My 2 big disappointments were the lack of some conveniences I come expect, such as a hair/blow dryer; and given this is a one floor property, I didn't expect noises overhead, but there where animals running on the roof at night and early morning that woke me up unexpectedly (racoons, I would guess?).

If you are looking for comfort, amenities or even bare minimum luxury, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Probably better to choose a different hotel and pay more. . .
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were two couples visiting expensive Newport on a holiday weekend. We paid $120/night for two nights at Pineapple Inn. This place fits your "stereo-typical" image of a low-end motel with bad rooms and bad service. We had a fairly large room on the "far" side of the office - our friends had a room that sank their heart; dark and with a "stuffy" feel. Their room was right next to the office. Check in and check out was confusing and disorganised. Forget about asking for any local area information. We both had problems with our bathrooms : shower controls not working - bathtub didn't have a plug. Sheets were a downright disgrace : cigarette burns and utterly worn out. As our room was a bit better we would meet up there to plan the day or to have a coffee at the end of the day. Sit outside on the asphalt like everyone else rather than in the room ! The location was actually not bad ( a few minutes by car to the downtown 'action' where all the stores and restaurants are) and Newport was completely "sold out" so no possibility of relocating elsewhere. We spent as much time as possible out and just made the most of it. We obviously had an unrealistic budget for Newport so be prepared to pay 3 or 4 times this amount for a place with "regular" standards ( high 300's). It's just that 120$/night is not "cheap" in my books for a motel and even at 50$ this place would still be a dump.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms in the same "wing" that houses the office - the "other" win...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Motel 6 where full so booked in here for $140 for a night. Room was large, 2 queen beds with tv and wifi. Not a bad room and only 5 minutes from the town, but book somewhere in advance and get somewhere or here cheaper. Felt robbed because it was a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: 123 is a good size and away from the road.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you are looking to stay for a nice weekend in Newport than this is the place for you. While checking in you will experience (if lucky enough) a lady of the night reserving a room. Once you get to luxurious and spacious room you will realize that bugs are unwilling to share the bed. Make sure you lock your doors... if your room actually has a lock. Make sure you are not to loud though you don't want to disturb the drug deals going on all around ( that would be rude). In conclusion (never thought i would say this,) go a half mile down the road and stay at the motel 6. They will keep the lights on ...at least they have lights.

• Stayed May 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The place is run down and the clientele is sketchy looking, but it's arguably worth the $49 dollars, but not much more. I would not recommend this place to germaphobes. The closer u look the scarier it gets. My girlfriend and I stayed here in the off season and only used the place to sleep and shower so it was fine for us. Although we were happy we bought our own pillow cases and sheets. Relatively speaking it was clean(ish) and safe. Which is all I wanted and expected for $49.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Not my choice to stay here, but ended up staying here. The only pro is that it is a decent size room. CONS: dirty sheets, clogged shower (water wouldn't go down), location is not nice, looks like its from the 1970s, needs alot of updating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Web M, Guest Relations Manager at Pineapple Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We are always looking for constructive feedback and are renovating the property.

If you brought this to the attention of the Manager, we would make every attempt to resolve your issue.
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My bf and I were coming for Newport Folk fest and everything was booked. We were very lucky to get this room for two nights (or so we thought). It was filthy. It is pretty much an old school *carport* hotel. Which means one level and you drive up to your door and people hang out in front on the "sidewalk" and drink. I understood that we had 0 options so I didn't want to complain because they would just kick us out but there was mildew all over the shower( I lost the photos!). The sink was unsteady and I believe my sketchy neighbors lived there. It was also expensive because of the holiday weekend I suppose but it is still disgusting. It is a *no-tell mo-tel* for sure. I did retrieve the one photo of the nasty blanket. I really think we should have been reimbursed when I explained on checkout but I just had to get out of there. Although I got a non smoking room, it had once been a smoking room and it was very stinky.
***********************also; I left a jacket on the bed so IF they even cleaned the room they didn't change the sheets on the bed nor make it. when we returned I inquired and they told me that if you leave anything on the bed they do not touch it because of limited responsibility. a jacket? and how was I supposed to know this?****************************
Newport is an expensive area but with a little pre planning you can find a place in Middleton for reasonable money, camping is even a better option.
It did have AC. Of course it was super loud

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management would certainly not "kick you out" for an issue with the room.
We try to provide the best service we can and would try to resolve your concern.

Your title indicates "not cheap" , however during the Newport Jazz Festival comparable motels in Newport and Middletown are > 30% than our rates.
If you were able to find a more affordable rate for that weekend, we would beat there price.

Been to Pineapple Inn? Share your experiences!