“Needs alot of updating! and cleaning!” 1 of 5 stars

Pineapple Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   372 Coddington Hwy., off Rt. 114, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York
“Needs alot of updating! and cleaning!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Not my choice to stay here, but ended up staying here. The only pro is that it is a decent size room. CONS: dirty sheets, clogged shower (water wouldn't go down), location is not nice, looks like its from the 1970s, needs alot of updating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Web M, Guest Relations Manager at Pineapple Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
We are always looking for constructive feedback and are renovating the property.

If you brought this to the attention of the Manager, we would make every attempt to resolve your issue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My bf and I were coming for Newport Folk fest and everything was booked. We were very lucky to get this room for two nights (or so we thought). It was filthy. It is pretty much an old school *carport* hotel. Which means one level and you drive up to your door and people hang out in front on the "sidewalk" and drink. I understood that we had 0 options so I didn't want to complain because they would just kick us out but there was mildew all over the shower( I lost the photos!). The sink was unsteady and I believe my sketchy neighbors lived there. It was also expensive because of the holiday weekend I suppose but it is still disgusting. It is a *no-tell mo-tel* for sure. I did retrieve the one photo of the nasty blanket. I really think we should have been reimbursed when I explained on checkout but I just had to get out of there. Although I got a non smoking room, it had once been a smoking room and it was very stinky.
***********************also; I left a jacket on the bed so IF they even cleaned the room they didn't change the sheets on the bed nor make it. when we returned I inquired and they told me that if you leave anything on the bed they do not touch it because of limited responsibility. a jacket? and how was I supposed to know this?****************************
Newport is an expensive area but with a little pre planning you can find a place in Middleton for reasonable money, camping is even a better option.
It did have AC. Of course it was super loud

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management would certainly not "kick you out" for an issue with the room.
We try to provide the best service we can and would try to resolve your concern.

Your title indicates "not cheap" , however during the Newport Jazz Festival comparable motels in Newport and Middletown are > 30% than our rates.
If you were able to find a more affordable rate for that weekend, we would beat there price.
Piscataway, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked a last minute trip to Newport for Labor Day weekend, so rooms were either booked or too expensive at most hotels. This motel was cheap and available so I took a chance and booked it. The room was not as bad as I expected, nice size and although it was not immaculately clean, it was ok to sleep in. Unfortunately, there had been a fire 2 weeks earlier so half the motel was covered in tarp and it reminded me of a scary movie. The shower had no pressure and there was no TV remote. It was not a horrible stay but I would not recommend staying here unless you are strapped for cash.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, we are looking into these issues will resolve them.
Hinesville, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My first time in Newport Rhode Island,i ended up at the visitor center where they also sell peter pan bus tickets.Didn't want to have no room,so a lady at the lodgings desk found me a room vacancy,so far so good at the harbor base pineapple inn at the city limit between newport and middletown.Had trouble with the swipe card,so a nearby resident helped and i got the hang of using it.In the room,nice beds,i slept on top for i believed all places might have a possibility of bed bugs.tv cable worked right.bedspreads looked ok.lights worked.water worked.coffee maker in room.paid $163 for this double bed room.this place looked more like a motel.The sink,when you use it,kinda goes down the sink slowly,like a drain clog but eventually went down each time.Bathroom looked clean,too.So far a good experience except for the sink.Walk out the front of the property turn right go up the hill and you got a rest.called Coddington brewing co./turn left,go for a mile and you got a shopping center.

Room Tip: for this inn,you have to go some distance to find restaurants,either to the right or left.No pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. My wife and I checked out a day early and went to the Marriot. The room was moldy and half painted. There were bugs in the bed, the door didn't lock and the shower was broken. I complained to the front desk and the clerk only offered another room and had no interest in what was actually wrong with the room.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The manager was trying to resolve your issue quickly rather than have you wait.
He promptly checked the room and tried to resolve any issues.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for your inconvenience.
Schenectady
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was the most disgusting place I have ever stepped foot in. My friend and I did our best to put up with a broken t.v. that management switched out from another room shortly after we checked in. The cabinet the t.v. sat in was covered with inches of dust as if it had never been cleaned. The sink had a nasty visible hair clog and the water was slow draining through it. At 6:43am we discovered the toilet did not flush. I went to the room and asked for another room. We moved all of our stuff into this room and the sink backed up. When we demanded our money back, the manager would not refund our previous night. We complained to him and told him that we were going to write a bad review and he didn't care. We left around 7:30am and fortunately were able to secure another night at a Best Western down the road. During the Newport Jazz festival, which is the busiest weekend in Newport all year. Stay clear of the Pineapple Inn, in Newport, RI

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, check the toilet, sink and television before you pay for the room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
new england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I went to a family wedding in Newport last weekend. The bride had made a site visit and determined this place to be acceptable. I don't know what rooms she was shown, but it certainly wasn't the room we were in. We knew for the price we weren't going to get much, but basic cleanliness is certainly not a huge demand. We booked here (along with brother & his wife).Upon entering the room we were assaulted by a very musty, moldy smell. The bedspread was stained and filthy. The carpet was threadbare, stained and did not invite walking around in bare feet. The tub was dirty, the shower curtain had black and pink mold growing on it. We thought it couldn't get any worse but when we got into bed that night, we found the sheets did not fit the bed. Brother's room was just as bad. We felt like we were in a motel that rents by the hour. I don't know what rooms the positive commentor's stayed in but I assure you it was not our rooms. We informed the bride the next day so she could tell the wedding planner so that this place is not recommended in the future. This place should not be recommended to anyone with any sense of cleanliness at all. It's too bad because with a some effort on the owner's/manager's/cleaning staff's part this could be a nice inexpensive place to stay. Where is the pride in your own business?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pineapple Inn? Share your experiences!