“This is a five star!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
Folsom, California
“This is a five star!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Out of all the places I've stayed this one is the most deserving of five stars. The property is nice, clean and in a great location in Newport. My room large, with claw foot bath tub and was very nicely decorated. The beds and bedding are comfortable and inviting and there was a nice antique looking couch in our room that I really wanted to take home. Unfortunately it didn't fit in my suitcase as easily as the bottle opener did :-) The inn keepers are just as nice as their inn. When we arrived he took us up to our room and showed it to us prior to checking in and asked if it was what we were looking for. I was a little surprised he thought there was a chance we would not such a nice room. After checking in he carried in my fiancé’s 60 pound suit case upstairs and then we had some wine and a large variety of appetizers. There were so many good tasting appetizers that I was almost too full for dinner later that night. The inn keeper suggested a very nice restaurant and even got online and printed us the menu. The next morning at breakfast they told us the special was pumpkin waffles, that sound really good, but I'm not a big sweets person and asked if I could have an omelet instead and they made me an excellent omelet with bacon, toast and potatoes on the side. I think while we were there we ate the cost of our room between the evening’s wine and snacks and breakfast. Checkout was a breeze and the area is so nice. I can't stress enough how friendly the whole staff was. If you are considering a stay in Newport than this is the place you should stay. Thank you for providing such a wonderful end to our trip.

Room Tip: If you're staying here than you already have a good room--
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
We are so glad that your travels brought you to the Cliffside Inn. I agree that the vintage Victorian fainting couch in the Adele Room is very special - as are the cork screws! We really appreciate all your kind words and hope if you are back in New England we'll see you again.

Nancy and Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Garden Suite for a night over the Veterans Day weekend and I cannot begin to tell you what a lovely place it is. Before I went there I couldn't understand why reviewers made such a big deal over the way Bill and Nancy and their top-notch staff care for the place, but I get it now. I've never been to a cleaner or more cared-for inn in my life. Even better, all the guests really seem to get in the mood and interact with each other during the evening wine and snack hours and breakfasts; we talked to so many other happy couples during our short stay! At breakfast on the morning we left, we were remarking about how it felt like the last day of summer camp. In closing, we highly recommend the Garden Suite and its heated bathroom floors and jacuzzi tubs and we can't wait to return and see Bill and Nancy again.

Josh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so glad you had the same wonderful experience that we try to provide all of our guests. I'm just sorry you were only here for one night! I hope we can change that soon.

boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our fourth visit to the Cliffside and as usual, we did not want to leave! Cliffside really sets the standard. My husband and I stay in inns about 12 nights a year and every inn that we go to, we find ourselves comparing it to the Cliffside. The rooms are super clean, the toiletries excellent, breakfast never disappoints (They do a great job with gluten free. I have not had such delicious treats since being diagnosed!), the wine and cheese hour is fantastic and the turndown service is simply superb. Thank you Nancy and Bill for another fabulous stay.

Room Tip: Room tip: the Turner Suite is marvelously comfortable BUT the tub in the bathroom is really high. Y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
It is always wonderful to have you both here. I'm glad we were able to accommodate the Gluten Free and I hope that is helping you feel better. We'll be back on for Thanksgiving next year and hope to see you before then.

All the best,
Nancy and Bill (and Koty - who is looking for scratches next time).
lenox, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed here last week as part of a very astute group of people that know what makes an inn work well. The Cliffside is not only gorgeous, it is run perfectly.
The room was very well equipped and maintained; the turndown with home baked cookies a nice touch.
Breakfast was delicious, elegant and plentiful.
The staff were friendly, efficient and knowledgable about Newport (our first visit).
Thank you Nancy and Bill for a delightful stay. We shall return!

Room Tip: I have stayed in many a hotel around the world - I have never had a shower like this in the room! d...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
This is quite a review coming from such an accomplished traveler like yourself. Thank you. The shower in the St. George's Suite is really something spectacular. We are so glad you enjoyed it. Looking forward to having you back in the future.

Best,
Nancy and Bill (and Koty)
Lower Waterford, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just spent two heavenly nights at this wonderful inn. It is fantastic on every level. A perfect place for that well deserved relaxing & romantic escape. Lots to do nearby. Get yourself here - you'll be glad you did. Thank you Bill & Nancy for everything! We look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Leslie and Brian,

We are so glad that you were able to squeeze and extra night in with us during your Rhode Island tour. I'm sure it was great to see your family, but it is always nice to have some alone time first. We thoroughly enjoyed having you both here and getting to know you better. We are looking forward to seeing you again in April.

Fondly,
Tarrytown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The house has been restored with much care, consideration and taste. The beds and linens are incredibly luxurious and comfortable, there's a fireplace in every room, a wine and cheese reception upon arrival, a delicious breakfast in the morning, a free book to all guests about the painter who lived in the house, friendly and generous owners . . . what's not to love? And if that weren't enough, Bill offered to upgrade us at no additional cost.

Crystal,

We are do glad that you came back to visit us and that you brought your parents with you. It was wonderful to meet them and we are glad we were able to upgrade you to adjoining rooms. You all seem to have such a great time here and we are so happy that it was a perfect stay.

Looking forward to the next visit.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My best friend and I stayed one night in late October 2013. The room was beautiful and our hosts were very friendly & helpful. My best friend has both gluten and dairy allergies and they were extremely accommodating. At the cocktail hour the day we arrived, they made separate canapes specifically for him. At the breakfast the next morning, they made him gluten free muffins and a separate entree, so that he could have a proper breakfast before we headed out for the day. Both of our meals were delicious. The homemade granola was amazing and they provided me with the recipe :) We enjoyed visiting the mansions nearby and doing part of the Cliffwalk (note that some of it is still closed off due to damage from Hurricane Sandy). We would have liked to have stayed longer & if we hadn't had reservations in Cape Cod the following night, we certainly would have. The next time we are anywhere nearby, we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sun Room on the 2nd floor and found that we did not hear any noise at all from the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Cliffside Inn for your "big" birthday celebration. It was lovely to have the two of you, even if only for one night. We are so happy that you both enjoyed the food. We can't accommodate everything, but we try to make folks with dietary restrictions feel as special as all the other guests!

We do hope you'll come for a longer stay if you are back in the New England area.

Nancy and Bill

Been to Cliffside Inn? Share your experiences!