“Best get-a-way trip ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
50% off the third night
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Northport
“Best get-a-way trip ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I cannot thank Castle Hill Inn enough for giving my husband and I the very best get-a-way for our 10 year anniversary. Every single staff member we encountered was gracious, friendly, courteous, and helpful! Your beach cottages were nothing short of amazing and beautiful. Even though the weather was pretty awful for our stay, the setting made it all ok. Our experience at your restaurant was an absolute pleasure, both service and food was extraordinary. I am counting the days until we can hopefully return to this amazing place. Thank you, thank you so very much again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear E A:

We were delighted to have you and your husband stay with us for your tenth anniversary. We're sorry that the weather wasn't better during your visit to Newport, but hope that the fireplace in your cottage took some of the chill off!

We look forward to welcoming you back, and I'll be sure to share your kind comments with our staff. We're very proud of them!

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
South Riding, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I first discovered Castle Hill in 2000, after our first trip to Newport. It was love at first sight for me! They had just built the new cottages, beautifully decorated like a Ralph Lauren catalogue! A fireplace crackling in the back and waves crashing on your private beach in the front! Breakfast is always on point, and high tea is magnificent! After my return from being deployed for a year overseas, the staff - who by now new us bc we would stay about 4x a year, gave us the Turret Suite in the main house...gorgeous! Unfortunately we had to relocate from CT to VA, so, we haven't been back as much as we would like, and we miss it something terrible!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks so much for your note! Even though you and your husband live a little further away from New England, we hope you'll make it back often.

Kind regards.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

After a few years of not writing reviews, my recent stay at Castle Hill Inn prompted me to write one. We recently stayed for one night in a bedroom cottage at $1180 (price plus taxes/fees). Having been to Newport several times in the past, I always wanted to try this property particularly because it was a Relais and Châteaux. I routinely travel and prefer the higher end establishments (Four Seasons, Aman Resorts, Relais and Chateaux) for the quality, reliability as well as intimacy they provide. Overall, I must say I was highly disappointed.

The pros:
1) Room: The bedroom cottage was as advertised- cozy, well appointed, charming. After surveying the property, these are the only ones I would consider. They are a little on the small side though.
2) Breakfast: Breakfast was included in the room rate and the food was good. The outdoor dining on the patio was great and during this time of the day the inn is actually more exclusive- only inn guests (see below).

The cons:

The inn and resort are anything but exclusive- large crowds of people throughout.

1) Crowded: From first arrival, this was blatantly obvious. There were 4(!) car valets and the line to get to them was about 5 cars deep. There is a large parking lot in front of the inn and this was full- this now explained the overflow lot (noted as collection of cars “parked” on the grass on the driveway toward the inn). I had made the reservation to stay only the day before and had specifically asked if any events (parties/weddings/etc.) were planned and was told “none that (she) was aware of for the day in question.” I inquired about the large crowds and was told that a wedding was scheduled for the afternoon/evening. Clearly, this was known at the time of my inquiry. Upon asking the valet escorting us to our room, he said that there are usually weddings held on the property 4 days a week (note that the event facilities are right next the hotel).
2) Beach: The beach is marketed as private. Chairs and umbrellas are provided for the guests only but the beach is directly accessible to the public. The beach is located right off Ocean Drive and this is a main tourist thoroughfare. Numerous people and particularly children were noted to walk from the road onto the beach. The beach may be marketed as private but it was clearly open access.
3) The Lawn: The pictures and descriptions of the Lawn on the website paint a beautiful area and describe a serene experience. The inn / property is small in regards to total rooms and the Lawn (its Adirondack chairs) are clearly stated to be on a first come first serve basis. What is not stated is that the Lawn is first come first serve for the entire town of Newport. The Lawn abuts the large outdoor restaurant and bar. In the afternoon and evening, the inn is overrun by a mix of large groups of people and families with young children coming to the restaurant / bar and to the Lawn. My best estimate was both during the afternoon tea and at dinner, there must have been 100 people on the Lawn alone (and at least 100 at the outdoor restaurant). There was a direct line from the parking lot to the Lawn.
4) Terrace restaurant: The restaurant / terrace is a great location but again inundated with large crowds. Castle Hill does create a small area of the terrace for “resort guests only” but this totaled 7 tables and was not really separate from their main restaurant business that had probably 30 tables. Again, the view / experience would have been great but for the noise, constant stream of people walking in front of the patio to go to the Lawn and restaurant as well as the proximity to the bar.

Summary: The property is a restaurant/bar first, then an inn/hotel. If marketed as such, the property would be great. I left feeling conned that I spent almost $1200 dollars for what I thought was an exclusive inn/property- I felt like I was paying for non-resort guests to enjoy the property. Usually the Relais and Châteaux name means a more expensive hotel but one that Ieaves me feeling good about having paid for the experience. Both Castle Hill Inn and Relais and Châteaux let me down.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Castle Hill. The weekend you stayed, Independence Day weekend, is the busiest of the season for us, both at the Inn and throughout the city. I apologize that our staff was not as clear as we should have been in describing the guest experience that weekend, as Castle Hill has become known as a prime spot from which to enjoy the fireworks and other festivities.

I can assure you that our beach is indeed private, but consists of two sandy coves, separated by a rocky outcrop and dunes. The more southerly beach which fronts the Beach Cottage and Beach house rooms, is dedicated for registered guests of the Inn only, and is staffed and serviced by our employees. The beach closest to the entrance of the Inn from Ocean Drive may be frequented by a select group of homeowners whose homes border our forty acres, but that, too is not open to the public. As you mentioned, The Lawn and Terrace, though, are open to one and all, with prime areas reserved for registered guests of the Inn,

I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations, and would very much like to put things right and restore your faith in both Castle Hill and Relais & Chateaux. Please give me a call, if you wish, at 401-324-4507. Thank you once again for your comments.

Dumfries, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The literature says, "Quiet luxury of 19th century seacoast life." That is certainly NOT what you find at Castle Hill Inn. There is a permanent 'wedding' tent on the back lawn and a permanent full bar and restaurant on the front lawn. This leaves the paying Inn guests to beg for attention of the staff. If you want a nice view of the bay and burger and fries accompanied by slow service on the lawn, go there. But don't look for anything like the advertised, "Quiet luxury of 19th century seacoast life" - it only exists in the brochures.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear PR:

Thank you for your comments; we too were disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. As I and several members of our team mentioned to you during your stay when you voiced your concerns, Independence Day Weekend is one of the busiest weekends of the year for us in Newport. This, certainly, is the case at Castle Hill, as we have become known as one of Newport's iconic spots from which to view the region's fireworks and sailing activities on Narragansett Bay. We reserve the choicest seating on the Terrace for our overnight guests at all times of the year, and make every effort to ensure that they are especially well taken care of during holiday weekend. During your visit, we made attempts to recover your experience by removing the charge for your dinner and extending an offer for a return stay with our compliments during a quieter time of the year. Despite these efforts, we clearly disappointed you, and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies on behalf of our team.

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Went here for an event on a Sunday afternoon. The grounds are beautiful with stunning views. The service was what you would expect from such a highly acclaimed property. I can't talk to the specifics of rooms since we didn't stay here but I would expect them to be excellent based on everything else we saw. The food was very good and the staff friendly. Would definitely look to stay here on our next visit.

Arnold, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is a beautiful historic inn with an incredible location just outside the downtown area. It was a perfect place to view the beginning of the Newport Bermuda race and watch and all the lovely sailboats in the bay. The inn has a marina if you come by boat. Their restaurant overlooks the bay and serves fantastic lobster rolls, the best we had our entire stay in Newport. The staff is fantastic meeting every need we had. We will definitely be back the next time we are visiting Newport.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Northeast, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Ideal quick getaway for couples. Fantastic spot, great food and clean lovely rooms. Outdoor bar. Unique spot with a Relaxing atmosphere. Beautiful walking area. Newport around corner with great shopping and restaurants. Breakfast at the inn is the perfect start to the day

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Castle Hill Inn? Share your experiences!