“An enjoyable stay with a few imperfections” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
50% off the third night
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Newport
London, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay with a few imperfections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I so so much wanted this hotel to be perfect and award top ratings. There were so many things we loved so I will start of with the positives:

Staff: they are unfailingly kind, smily and cheerful. They appear all to love their job, from the lady at check in, the waitress, to the lady delivering room service etc. They made us feel special and they really make the place
The location: yes , is is outside town but what you get in return is an amazing view, garden, sea all round, seclusion and exclusivity. Simply wonderful
Food: lunch is great value, afternoon tea wonderful and included in rate, breakfast delicious. We had room service for dinner, again very tasty.

So why the mark down: although our beach cottage, 27 , Summer haven, was gorgeous with a small kitchen, espresso machine, jacuzzi bath, porch secluded from neighbours, the most amazing sea view and seemed on arrival perfect, things were not perfect when we went to bed. Cushions are lumpy and too soft, bed quite small but the worst is, you share the room with your neighbours. The cottages are semi detached and clearly no money has been spent on sound proofing. Our neighbours arrived back in their room at 1100 pm, when they closed the door, our whole room shook. We then followed their whole conversation, their laughter, when they went to the bath room. They were not noisy, they were having a normal conversation. But we were tired so I knocked on the wall. I felt bad about that. Also it is not just that we heard them , they must have heard us when we got up quite early and used bathroom and made coffee.
I don't hear my neighbours at our appartment in central Boston, why should I pay 480$ to share a room with 2 strangers in a hotel?

Having said this: I would stay again but pay more for a freestanding cottage or bigger cottage.
It is a wonderful spot so just be careful which room you book or take ear plugs.

Room Tip: As per my review: if you are a light sleeper, avoid semi detached beach cottages or take ear plugs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Newport ri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just spent a wonderful two days in one of Castle Hill's lovely Beach Houses. As usual room & bed & breakfasts & service were all terrific.No better place in New England.Very close to the Mansions& great walks along the Ocean Drive.

Room Tip: Off season -Beach Houses are much better value than Beach Cottages
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 8 year anniversary in Newport, Rhode Island and we chose to stay at Castle Hill Inn. Before I get to the Inn, Newport itself is such a breathtaking place to visit. I live in New York but have never been to Rhode Island and thought why not? A three hour drive and you are surrounded by water and beautiful scenery. I told my husband we will make visiting Rhode Island a yearly thing which is big for me considering I am the type of traveler that refuses to go back to the same place year after year when there is so much to see, so many places to visit. Since it is a short drive, I will make time to visit even for just a weekend. Ok, on the the Inn....absolutely stunning place! Beautiful, quiet, quaint, everything you ask for in a romantic getaway. The staff was extremely pleasant and friendly the moment you step inside. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable considering we didn't choose one of the bigger rooms. It is on the pricey side but well worth the bucks!!! I think in the summer I would love to go back and stay in one of the bungalows as we actually stayed in the Inn. Now on the their food..We did not eat dinner there as it was very pricey but breakfast was included and I must say...One of the best breakfast's ever!!!!! I highly recommend the lobster hash. OMG!!!! it was delish. My husband ordered the eggs benedict and a side order of hash as he was jealous of mine and I refused to share. Because I was so impress with there breakfast I will make sure to have dinner there at least one night. Overall, we had a wonderful STUNNING ROMANTIC GETAWAY and I will highly recommend to everyone. I will be back Castle Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at one of the beach bungalows and it was beyond fabulous! Very private and outfitted with everything we needed for the weekend. It felt like home, but with a better view! If you needed anything, the staff would be there within minutes to replenish. So clean and fresh it felt brand new, but with charming old world "costal" cottage flair. With it's private beach for the cottages, the veiw was all beach and Ocean- so close we kept the window open and heard the waves all night. Best sleep I've had in years! During the morning and twilight, time was spent relaxing on the deck. Close to the mansions and "Cliff Walk" so you can spend all day sightseeing or a short car ride to the charming center of Newport. The cottages are pricey but oh-so worth it for a special get away. The Inn dining was grand at breakfast and the lovely outdoor patio for lunch with outstanding water views, but stuffy for my tastes at our one dinner there. Newport has so many options for fine dining.

Room Tip: The private beach bungalows are fantastic. We stayed at the "Nautilus".
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Don't have much to add that hasn't already been noted, this place is simply fabulous. Service was second to none and the beach cottages can't be beat, especially in nice weather. Found the food and drink service to the beach to be impressive given that it is down the street from the rest of the inn - we wanted for nothing all day. The meal we had in the restaurant was one of the most memorable dinners ever in terms of service and setting. 5 star in every way and will certainly be somewhere to return as often as possible!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Greenwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

What can I say other than, "outstanding"?! We enjoyed 2 idyllic nights in a cottage (note: the Nautilus is the only free-standing cottage). Staff were superb. The inclusive breakfast was perfection. Exactly the getaway we hoped to have.

Room Tip: Only downside is that if you plan to come and go from your room to do other things in Newport, it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your winter Newport getaway in one of our Beach Cottages. Watching winter seas and rolling breakers from your room while your fireplace is warming you and your loved one is the ideal winter warm-up. I noticed you had mentioned our distance from Newport. Actually, we think that is one of our best features, in both winter and summer. We're only ten minutes and four miles from the center of Newport, and yet you can escape to the sea, and your fireplace, at Castle Hill. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Brian
NORTH HAVEN,CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I went here for our 25th anniversary. We stayed in the Turret room which was the most expensive room but well worth it. The bathtub, which was a few yards away from the bed overlooked the 300 degree view of the water. There also was a full bathroom with a large shower. The room was elegant with a fireplace and the room was dark blue tile where the tub is and decorated with all wood including the ceiling. A spiral staircase is in the room which takes you up to the top of the turret. A small seating area as well as a telescope was a nice touch. The staff sent up complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary. We went to tea at 3:30-which is complimentary although I encourage a tip because the staff really pays attention to each guest. They had tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, homemade scones & cookies. Very lovely. Then to dinner at 7. As one diner put it, "this food is ridiculously amazing." He was spot on. Absolutely unbelievable. The meals are prix fixe and you can get a 3 course meal for $75 each and they are very knowledgable about wines. The also have a 5 & 8 course prix fixe meal. The bed was comfortable & with the fire going it very pretty. Breakfast too is included and there is a nice selection. There again tipping is always a nice thing to do. Seems like all we did is eat but it was freezing outside & we only stayed one night. The woman that greets you and goes over your reservation offered me a to go beverage when we left. I believe there are 21 rooms. Can't wait to try it in the summer! Nice for weddings as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Hill Inn? Share your experiences!