“Rude Staff. Poor management” 1 of 5 stars

Castle Hill Inn
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   590 Ocean Drive, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Newport
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“Rude Staff. Poor management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were treated as second class citizens behind the people staying in the actual hotel even though I was a part of a wedding party, that I would imagine spent $5k-$10k on food and drinks.

When complaints were made to management about some of the staff's rude behaviour, the management did nothing to fix the situation and actually defended some of the behaviour.

The place has nice views, but I would never spend a dollar here given the unprofessionalism and generally condescending attitudes of staff and management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
I was sorry to learn of your disappointment, but I truly feel that our staff were trying to make the best of a challenging situation. which revolved around competing requests to view two different college football games on television. Our dining room managers had approached your party in reference to an animated request to turn the television in the small lounge adjacent to your wedding party to a different game than the one that was being shown. Two of our other guests who were already seated in the lounge were enjoying that game, and your party were insistent about your request to change the TV to another game. The lounge is a small one, with one television, and is certainly not a sports bar,. Our practice is to maintain the channel that is being watched, unless the guests come to an arrangement to share or change the channels.

Unfortunately, a member of the wedding party became verbally and physically abusive to the those two guests, using profanity, and our staff had to intervene. What should have been an enjoyable evening for all turned into an unfortunate incident, but our staff reacted appropriately.

Please feel free to contact me at 401-324-4507 should you wish to discuss further.

Brian Young

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Even if you can't afford to stay at this beautiful property, drive over for a sunset drink on the patio. A friend suggested that we had to stop here for AT LEAST that and it was magical. We watched a gorgeous sunset over Newport harbor, saw a cruise ship leave, and were blessed with a dual rainbow on each side of the setting sun. Yes, magic, for the price of two martinis!

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location is stunning... No argument there - some of the staff are good - Jo stood out as a good example. Sadly the overall impression we got was that the staff were generally young and inexperienced - the place is over-worked with far too much happening - weddings, lunches, cars coming and going - the level of activity distracted from the opportunity for this resort to be a relaxing or romantic place. We paid just under $1,000 per night (incl taxes). We had just left Blantyre Luxury Country Hotel which was exceptional... Our hopes were high - but we were disappointed. I don't want to totally can it - but if you are looking for calm relaxing avoid weekends - I am told there is a wedding there pretty well every Friday and Saturday night.
We stayed in the beach cottages. Very sweet... The beds are queen sized which is not my preference, and frankly the cottages are smallish and basic for $1,000 a night! If you are expecting luxury you may be surprised!! But the views are superb, and amongst the chaotic busyness of Newport and the main house of the hotel, the calming beauty of the beach was great. We enjoyed a beach fire evening with Hayden which was low-key and very pleasant. It was nice chatting with other guests in a casual environment.
Bizarrely the cottages are far from sound proof - in fact the sound transference was very poor. We had a horrific first night when the neighboring cottage indulged in a sex feast that pretty well prevented sleep for us - and the hotel gave us a 20% discount on that night as a result - but I am still stunned that the walls are so thin - it was like sleeping in a seedy motel in Vegas! Thankfully the following night was peaceful!
We chose not to test the restaurant, but we did order room service that unfortunately was ordinary and cold. By this stage our expectations had dropped considerably so it was par for the course!
If staying in Newport is on your agenda I suspect there may not be a better option. Be prepared for busy and go in with the knowledge you are paying a lot for a special location - and pray your neighbors are not exhibitionists!!!

Room Tip: There is one beach cottage which is not joined to others - request that!!!
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have previously stayed at International Relais a Chateau properties so we had high hopes for our 25th Anniversary. What a disappointment. The list is endless but here are a few examples:
At $ 700 per night I don't expect plastic table mats on a bare table for breakfast, I expect linen table cloths.
I don't want my morning tea and coffee delivered wrapped in shrink wrap. I would also like it hot, Additional phone call to ask for milk and sugar should not be necessary.
Being a delivered a meal at the beach area was nice, plastic cutlery was not what I would expect.
Arriving and hour early we were invited to have a drink at the outside area. After looking at the menu we asked just to have something to drink, we were then rather rudely advised that to sit here you need to eat so push off, just not 5 star treatment.
The location is great, a swimming pool would have been really superb to sit around.
Training your staff during the meal - no thanks
Breakfast offered one choice from a reasonable menu, a croissant or two could have been nice.
My wife's egg bake was served too raw.
The cappuccino machine was not working.

Room Tip: Stay away - Over priced 3 star Guesthouse.
Westfield NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Every level of service was exceptional. The setting has to be seen. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary (with our immediate family)and came away with great memories. I have always tended to stay away from hotel food. You will make a mistake if you do not experience the fine dining at Castle Hill

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

My mother and i were on vacation in august. We did not actually stay here. We drove around on ocean drive and thought we'd find the lighthouse, but instead, Great surprise found Castle Hill Inn. Wonderful service, pricey but Excellent food. The Rhode Island Muffaletta is too die for. The best part is the view and location. I'll say it again, Beautiful view, you are looking at the sun over the narragansett bay.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The valet parking attendant had left our windows open overnight and we had a difficult time clearing up the windows and the windshield. Rather unexpected given the level of service we had experienced. Also, we had to leave earlier than expected and found that they hadn't billed us for the previous night's expensive dinner. Called their attention to it and after a LONG wait, finally got the bill sorted out properly. I was just doing the right thing, so to speak, but I expected some kind of gesture of gratitude given that it was a sizeable bill that I reported.

Otherwise, it was better than I had imagined. Photographs did not do justice. Service was otherwise impeccable and everything was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thanks very much for taking the time to write about your visit to the Inn. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay, but was concerned about the two lapses in service that you encountered. Please accept my apologies for our not having prepared your car appropriately for the evening, and I am sorry you were the one who had to bring our billing error to our attention. Thank you for being so honest! If you have time, I'd very much appreciate speaking with you about your experience - please feel free to give me a call at your convenience. My direct line is 401-324-4507.

Kind regards,

Brian

Been to Castle Hill Inn? Share your experiences!