“The best in Newport” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in Newport
Corona del Mar, California
“The best in Newport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I had a fantastic experience at this great, boutique hotel when traveling on a combined business and pleasure trip. The staff was very well prepared and educated – welcoming and attentive but not intrusive. The hotel has all the amenities I needed for business (and a couple I didn’t need, but were fun to learn about). I was comfortable in all respects and close to everything I wanted to do. The evening I spent on the deck bar and restaurant was particularly enjoyable. It was a big crowd and the staff was literally running between tables, the bar and the kitchen. I was not in a particular hurry but really appreciated the staff member (not a waiter) who was willing to take my order and see that I was served promptly. “Pinch hitting” in this regard seemed to be an attitude pervasive throughout the staff and management. The response to special requests seemed to be “I’ll see what I can do and get right back to you” - which they did.

The property itself is beautiful and in a fantastic location right on the water. I looked at a variety of rooms, from very reasonable to “over the top” luxurious. I was pleased to enjoy a room with a view which I thought was great value.

When back in that area, I will stay with 41 North again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have been fortunate in staying at 41 North three times this year, once just a week after they opened. That first stay told me everything I need to know as the service was just about seamless despite their having just opened. I have stayed at other hotels which were just as new and always experienced opening glitches. Not at 41 North! If anything, they have gotten even better over the months and are one of the best hotels I regularly visit (and I am fortunate enough to stay at some pretty great ones--Halekulani in Honolulu, Peninsula in Chicago, Fairmont Olympic in Seattle, Waldorf Towers in New York, etc.). The staff goes the extra mile, the restaurant and room service food is excellent and the rooms are modern and exceptionally well designed. Now if I can only figure out how to use all the features of the IPad that is in each room!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I had a wonderful time while at Forty 1 North. The decor was beautiful and well thought out. It had a cozy yet classy feel. The lounge area near the fire place was a very comfortable and relaxing place to hang out. The dining area was elegant and made for a very nice atmosphere. The food was great and my dark and stormy cocktail was delicious!. My favorite food of the night were the oysters and my veal porterhouse entree. The tater tots were amazingly good and the creme brulee for dessert was the perfect end to the meal. The presentation of the food was very nice and the waiter was very accomodating. It was a very nice evening, I had a great time, and I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

My family and I travel to Newport often and wanted to give this newcomer a try and were we ever sorry. This hotel offers nothing but a good view but you don't have to spend serious $$$$ staying here to see it.
They were quite possibly rudest staff I've ever encountered at a hotel. We felt as if we were bothering the staff if we asked about anything. They really do think they are something that they are not. On top of it, the food is poor and extremely overpriced as is the hotel itself. Worst of all is it's loud. We thought at the very least we'll get a good nights sleep. Not really. If you are looking for that you should definitely stay at one of the other infinitely better Newport area hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
North Truro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Trying to be something they are not. Loud music in room. Fancy iPod that did not work. Rude staff for turn down service. At the restaurant, the Grill, another table smashed a water glass and no one noticed. Patrons were left fending for themselves with the cloth napkins. Wish I had spent less elsewhere . Very sorry to report this. Had high hopes going in.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

New this year, Forty 1 North beats anywhere I've ever stayed (including New York). Don't be fooled by the traditional New England exterior as you approach from Christie's Drive - inside and down below (the bar and harbor) is so hip, so cool, and so beautiful, it's worth just walking down the drive and acting like you're staying there to check it out.

You have to be feeling like a huge splurge if you're going to stay there - the rooms run around $750 a night. But we were feeling like a splurge, and after talking with someone really helpful in reservations, decided to go with the Red cottage which has two floors and was able to accommodate our small group of 3. The cottage almost seems out of place on this property, but is a wonderful place to stay. It has been well insulated to block out most of the surrounding hubbub (this is right on the harbor) and seems like a world apart.

There is a thriving bar and dance scene that I fear might waft up to the ocean-view rooms in the hotel. It is, however, something not to be missed. If only we could be part of the beautiful people all of the time.

I usually have more to say, but must admit to being somewhat speechless over this experience - see my photos. Someone has designed an amazing spot in Newport.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Old Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We spent 4 days here and would have loved to have stayed longer. Even though the new building was being built there was no intrusion. Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort? Share your experiences!