“Stunning hotel, perfect location and even better service” 5 of 5 stars

Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   351 Thames Street, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in Newport
Adelaide
“Stunning hotel, perfect location and even better service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I arrived in Newport on a perfect winter's day, in December 2012. We drove straight past the hotel, thinking it was someone's house, albeit in an odd location, considering the car park in front of it.
When we finally walked up the beautiful staircase and in through the solid wooden doors, we were greeted by a gentleman who looked like he could have been a guest. No stuffy check-in counter, just a laptop sitting on the corner of a bar.
We were taken up to our room, which had marina views, and shown the room "fob" - not a key or a card, just a little grey fob- the iPad, to get all the details about the hotel etc and the iphone for pretty much everything else. We were then left to our own devices but with the assurance that if there was anything we needed we only had to ask.

The bar/dining room downstairs is just beautiful and on our first night I wasn't hungry, so I ordered a bowl of pumpkin soup. It was absolutely perfect and just what I needed on a cold crisp winter's night.
They have private dining rooms too, which would be perfect for a celebration dinner.

Waking up to the view of the marina each morning, with the odd fishing boat still chugging in and out was just beautiful.

The hotel is perfectly located, close to all the shops and cafes, but far enough away that you can still enjoy the peace and quiet.

I can imagine that this hotel would be "the" place to go in summer, and I look forward to trying that theory out, the next time we are in Newport. I honestly couldn't imagine staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room with a marina view. It will be a bit more, but it's so worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked an executive dinner event at 41 North for 22 people. The process was simply perfect from beginning to end. Melisa, the Corporate Sales Manager was extremely helpful and responsive in helping ot select the best location for our event, as well as the most suitable menu for my guests. We started off with a cocktail hour in the library and then moved to the main dinning room for our dinner.

The entire staff was attentive to all of our needs. They also went out of their way, to deliver a gift to the CEO of my organization, after watching a presentation of gifts to the rest of our group. It's a long story to write, but let's say, one of the staff memebers ran to a store to purchase a token, that in turn we were able to present to the CEO of my organizaiton. It was one of those things that completed the evening, was never expected and exceed every expectation of myself and my group.

Keep up the great work team!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to Newport many times. We went for a little getaway in December and our only disappointment was we only stayed one night! The bed, the linens, the pillows, the fireplace, the bathroom, etc were scrumptious! I didn't want to leave the room. Even though it's a slow time of year, the service did not disappoint, in fact they could not have been nicer or more attentive. Beautiful rooms, and common areas! You can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at a forty 1 north at the beginning of November for what I like to call our "mini-moon" - a quick weekend getaway after our wedding. I found an amazing deal for this hotel on jet setter and I'm so happy I booked it- the price was a little over our budget otherwise. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous- chic & beautifully decorated yet the rooms are still cozy with a comfortable bed and gas fireplace in each room. The location is great- right on the harbor with wonderful views and within walking distance to all that Newport has to offer. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a lovely boutique hotel experience in Newport!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Overall I was extremely pleased with this hotel. The design and decor are beautifully selected. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathroom was gorgeous with a full bathtub and separate shower. There were only a few minor problems, no staff once we arrived, empty pepper shaker & I could not figure out how to use the IPod docking station. To the hotels credit I did check in after 10pm in the slowest month of the year. I am sure they we have it together upon my return. Because, yes I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed January 2013
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

As you approach the hotel, you would never know what lay beyond the beautiful, oversized front wood doors. As you enter, your first sight is a stunning, wall sculpture made of seashells. Then as you continue into the first floor, you do not enter the typical front desk, rather, you are greeted by friendly staff with macbooks to register you and take you up to your room. The Waterview room is large, airy and comfortable. An Ipad and ipod are ready for your use in the room. The decor is hipster chic, the bed large and inviting, the bar (not free) over-flowing with drinks and snacks, and the large TV above a beautiful gas fireplace. The bathroom is well laid out, the very deep soaking tub a treat (although the water pressure could be upgraded for a faster fill), and the shower a real treat (either overhead or side jets or both at the same time). The main floor of the hotel has a restaurant, a beautiful oval bar, a second smaller bar, two fireplaces with some comfortable seating and a pool table in a separate room. The view of the water is lovely. This is a wonderful hotel for couples looking for a romantic Newport getaway. It is right in the heart of Newport, within walking distance of shops, restaurants and the movie theater. The staff was also very responsive to all of our questions or needs. They even dealt well with the unexpected fire alarm at 9:00 pm, offering us a drink at the bar when we all got back in. A great stay in a great hotel. Excellent value with the special Winter Escape package offered by the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent two nights here back in October. We were there during the week, so the hotel was fairly empty. We were greeted by name upon arrival, checked in promptly, and were brought up to our room. They had upgraded us, which was a very nice surprise. The room was lovely - beautifully decorated, a comfortable bed, and an amazing bathroom. The room had a balcony that looked out over the marina, which was also lovely. We did have a little glitch getting the iPod to work, but they sent someone up immediately to fix it, and we had no further problems. The iPads were a nice touch as well.

The location is perfect. It was so convenient to everything downtown, there was no need for us to drive anywhere. We enjoyed being able to leisurely enjoy the town as it was our first time there.

We did find the restaurant and bar were a little on the pricey side, but for the quality of hotel, we weren't surprised. Everything was wonderful and we would definitely stay there again on our next visit to Newport.

Room Tip: I can't imagine this hotel has a bad room, but we stayed in one of the harborview suites, and it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Forty 1 North Hotel and Marina Resort? Share your experiences!