“incredible site to see with facinating story” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 attractions in Newport
Type: Religious Sites, Historic Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Dedicated in 1762, this is the oldest synagogue in the United States.
Boston, Massachusetts
45 attraction reviews
“incredible site to see with facinating story”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had the pleasure of visiting this historical site.
Beautiful architecture. Our tour guide gave us an excellent informative tour. Worth seeing if you in Newport.

west central Georgia
29 attraction reviews
“so glad that I went!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The mansions are all lovely, but this is the place that mattered to me because it symbolizes the importance of faith in our lives. I am not a Jew, but I don't need to be in order to appreciate what this synagogue has meant and continues to mean to people of all faiths. The people who work here obviously love this little synagogue! They were all so friendly and eager to share information about it. If I were to return to Newport, I could skip most of the big houses, but I would not want to skip this synagogue! A friend and I walked here from a condo on Thames Street and had no trouble finding it. The web site gives detailed information about opening days and times.

Edison, New Jersey
15 attraction reviews
“Back in time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The docent leading our tour was extremely knowledgeable. She is a member of the existing congregation and was able to give us personal insights into the background of the structure. Interesting story about the role played in developing the bill of rights.

3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful piece of history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Synagogue was not what I had expected. It was beautiful. The tour guide was excellent. It was a short, but interesting tour.

Casselberry, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Inspiring!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've wanted to see the Touro Synagogue since the postage stamp featuring the oldest Synagogue in the USA came out about 30+ yrs. ago. Being able to take my 8 yr. old grandson with me was a bonus. The staff at the front desk of this amazing historical site was helpful, and the docent who gave the presentation in the Synagogue itself was interesting, giving information about the history and origin of the congregation as well as answering all questions. As a Jew, I'd always wanted to visit the Touro Synagogue and wasn't disappointed. It's something everyone should see. Thanks to the staff for their patience with my grandson as he tried to answer the questionnaire and win a prize. You were amazing! The Synagogue is part of the National Historical Monument and accepts National Park Passes to reduce admission.

Visited June 2013