“Don't do it!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Newport
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Don't do it!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

I stayed at the Mill Street Inn Friday January 13th through Monday January 16th. I booked the Inn based on the good value of the hotel and the hotel website. I read the reviews and was a little scared to stay there but figured how bad could it be. On the hotel website it looks like an old converted Inn and you think it is going to be this cool loft style hotel.

To say I was diappointed is an understatement. The hotel looks promising when you first enter the lobby. The lobby is clean and Very contemporary. Thats were your happiness ends. We booked a Townhouse suite which was on the top floor. No elevators and I had to slup my lugguge up 2 flights of stairs with no help from the hotel. Then we get to the room and the party is completely over. You enter the living room which is tiny and very cramped. The couch is so uncomfortable I would need traction to sit on it, but thats not the worst part. We then went up to see the bedroom and the bedding was something you would find on clearance at Value City. The door handle to the deck was broken, the bathroom had mold, and the decor was very cheap 70's hotel.

The Motel 6 would have been nicer by comparison. Then can believe it got worse> It was raining when we arrived on Friday and pretty much rained until Sunday morning. To our surprise, The hotel had leaks everywhere. Our brick wall in our living room became a waterfall literally. The entire hotel has foundation issues and leaks when it rains. The mildew smell was horrible and the living room was like a swamp. I figured based on what we paid, I was not going to be staying at the Ritz, but I would have been happy with the Motel 6 by comparison.

This is not a nice place to stay at all. I heard in the summer the Mill Street Inn is over $300 a night. Let me give you some advice from a seasoned Newport traveler. There are much nicer places to stay that are about the same price. I usually stay at Vanderbilt Hall, The Hotel Viking or the Cliffside Inn. Vanderbill Hall was closed for renovations, the Cliffside Inn was sold out and the Viking Inn was available for about the same price, but we wanted to try something new. We learned our lessone and will never do that again. For now on I listen to other review on trip advisor if most are negative you have to take heed to the warning.

Please if you are going to Newport, do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. This place was a definite no no for anyone who likes a hotel nicer than the Bates Motel!!

Email me if you have any questions!!

• Stayed January 2006
, General Manager at Mill Street Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2006
My name is Dean Maki I am the manager of the Mill Street Inn. If you are considering not reserving a room with us due to this or any negative review, my staff and I beg you to please drop an email or give me a quick call. You can see by the photographs on the website that to compare this beautiful Contemporary Hotel with the Bates Motel is dishonest. We can take care of most problems during your stay such as to carry your luggage to your suite(hard to do, when you first read it on tripadvisor 2 weeks later). At check-out we ask every guest about his or her stay. The truth is more than 95% of the guests tell us personally that they loved the hotel and enjoyed their stay. Everyone on the staff is devoted to providing the highest level of hospitality to all our guests. We would love to have the opportunity to prove it to you!

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Midcoast Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2005

We loved the 2-night midweek package ($119 for two nights). This is a clean, classy place, with top-rate continental breakfast, afternoon tea, and an excellent staff. One day it rained, and we congratulated ourselves on having a comfortable suite to pass the time. The location is about perfect.

• Stayed December 2005
Brigantine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

We stayed at the Mill Street Inn over Thanksgiving vacation. When I made the reservation, the woman at the front desk went out of her way to recommend places to eat on Thanksgiving Day. We followed her advice and were very pleased with our meal.

Another employee checked us in and was incredibly helpful and friendly. She gave good directions, offered to help us with our bags, and was just generally a pleasant person who was able to assist us with our requests.

The contemporary hotel lobby is very attractive and inviting. The rooms, however, were quite disappointing. The decor was random - some of the furnishings were southwest, others were victorian, while others just looked like garage sale finds. The room was not particularly clean. The dark green carpeting was covered with bits of food and hair, the bathroom wall had some apparent water damage, there were stains on the couch cushions, mold in the shower, and holes in the linens. There was also a thick layer of dust on most everything. On the second day of our stay, our room did not get cleaned at all. When I mentioned this to the front desk person, she said "They must be slacking." Nothing more was done. There was a housekeeping gratuity added to our bill, however.

We paid a little extra to have a room with a hide-a-bed for our daughter, but the mattress was completely shot and very uncomfortable. It was also (surprise!) dirty.

The breakfast was fine - muffins, juice, coffee, cereal - nothing fancy, but tasty and filling. They also put out cookies and tea in the afternoon.

In summary, what the Mill Street Inn has going for it is its convenient location, friendly staff, and decent continental breakfast. On the downside, the rooms are in very poor condition (on par with some of the older motel 6's I've stayed in). As an artist with an architect for a husband, we could see that this place has incredible potential. Hopefully the owners will realize what a gem they have and bring it up a notch or two.

• Stayed November 2005
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2005

We stayed for one night in September. Loved the location, walking distance to the shops and restaurants on the water. The only negative was that the window air conditioining unit in the bedroom made quite a racket even when it was only in the "fan" mode. Like someone was banging on it from outside all night long - - enough to drive me crazy. Good thing we were only there for one night.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Mill Street Inn? Share your experiences!