“The PERFECT Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Mill St., Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in Newport
“The PERFECT Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came for an Anniversary weekend. The Mill St Inn is a beautiful modern boutique hotel two blocks from Thames St. and Bowen's Wharf. The hotel was very nice and the staff were extremely helpful. The rooms are super clean and gorgeous and the better than expected continental breakfast was great!! The hotel has a small parking lot and we did not have to move our car once....we were able to walk everywhere!!! The room suites are so big, I would definitely come back here with my kids. I can not wait to go back...this hotel was perfect in every way!!!

• Stayed September 2013

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed in Newport for one night. The hotel was only a few blocks away from many restaurants and shops. We had a King Suite on the first floor (#109). The front desk staff was super friendly and the room was very clean. The sitting area was comfortable with a sofabed, a small alcove with a cabinet that hid the minibar fridge, and two armchairs. The bedroom felt a little narrow for a king-size, comfortable bed, but was roomy and quiet otherwise. The bathroom had a very nice rainfall shower with Aveda bath products and really soft towels and robes. In the morning, there was a nice breakfast room which had an adequate simple breakfast - cereals fruit, baked goods, toast, oatmeal, hot beverages, juice and even soymilk.

Virgina USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights, happened to be during the boat show (which was not the reason we were in Newprot, but that's another story...). Check-in went by with no problems, we dropped our luggage in the room (nice on-site parking, close to the action - the docks, dining, etc). We strolled around town and made it back for the afternoon cookies and tea/coffee. We walked to dinner at Lucia (sic?) Italian. Breakfast the next morning was more than expected after reading some posts on TA. Coffee, tea (english breakfast for my wife would have sealed the deal), juice, cereals with plenty of add-ins (nuts/raisins/craisins), crossants (ham & cheese, plain), smoked salmon, tomatoes, bread, bagels... I'm sure I'm missing somethings, but you get the drift. The front desk is always covered, and they are most helpful. Gave us good info on the cliff walk (some of it is still closed due to Sandy last year). You need to drive to the mansions and 10-mile drive, which are both short distances from the Inn...

Room Tip: We had room 101, first door on the left... no problem with any noise. Don't forget to check out...
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I loved this hotel! I struggle finding the right words to express why it's so great. It was like a mini oasis. The hotel itself has such a unique structure and vibe to it. The rooms were well-decorated (I wanted to copy everything for my own home), and the staff was so nice. It was intimate and charming. Breakfast was yummy. Everything was clearly thought through with care & affection. I hope I am fortunate enough to stay again.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Newberg, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This 21-room inn is a welcome antidote to the frilly B n'B's that populate Newport. Decor is contemporary and nautical, it's in an historic building but has all the mod-cons: free wi-fi, great showers and beds, flat screens, A/C, robes. The rooftop deck has a lovely view and you can take your own beverages up there, which is nice. The continental breakfast includes nice extras such as salmon and fresh fruit along with cereal and assorted breads. You can walk to pretty much everything and it was quiet at night. I suspect that the hotels around the waterfront are quite loud due to nocturnal partiers. Staff is pleasant and helpful, although our room was not cleaned until 4pm one day. Only negative: the decor and interiors are showing many signs of wear and tear: carpets that need cleaning, banged up walls etc.

Pound Ridge, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My review is way overdue since I just signed up with Trip Advisor.

I came to Newport with a friend during the off-season a while back to evaluate properties. I found an incredible rate for Mill Street Inn online and immediately booked. I am a frequent, long standing visitor to Newport and former resident of RI but had never heard of the Inn. What drew me was that it was so modern looking from the pictures. Quite beautiful and not what I was expecting for an inn.

Service: The front staff was very friendly. They were on the casual side, one night staff looked like she was wearing pajamas :) but it was during off-season, and well, I didn't care. They were very pleasant and easy to talk to.

Room: We took the first room at the top of the first set of stairs. The layout is en-suite, conference or dining table, sleeper sofa, sitting area and a separate bedroom and bath. The whole suite is quite large and could be good for families. One staff, maybe owner or manager? gave us a tour of some of the other rooms which was fun to see. He gave us the option of the other rooms but we were happy with what we had. We never saw housekeeping, but our room was very clean during our stay.

During off-season, many places use that time to refurbish as was that case when we were there so off-season guests should be aware.

Complimentary breakfast and afternoon tea/coffee and cookies: It is self-service. Some items were stale but not all but still it was a good selection. A nice touch is providing to-go cups for tea and coffee.

The parking lot is very small (didn't use the garage) but most visitors should understand that during the summer season, street parking maybe only for residents and permit holders, esp. since the Inn is located in the historic part of the city, so free parking should be appreciated. Grand Hyatt on Goat Island charged $25 for parking when I stayed there for a wedding, so points to consider.

Location: Short walk to town, very accessible from all points including north towards Bellevue and south to Thames and America's Cup. It is in a quiet area but there is a small school or daycare across the street and we heard children playing outside.

Would not hesitate to return. I have recommended it to my friend who wound up booking for a guys weekend and he said he loved it. My friend also recommended Mill Street to her now ex-husband who had stayed during his bachelor's party, lol. She said he loved it too, haha.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place has been completely renovated on the inside. It's feels more like a small hotel than a traditional B&B. Your stay includes a continental breakfast which consists of fresh fruit, fresh juice, cereal, muffins, bagels and Fresh Lox which was outstanding. We didn't get a chance to use the roof but it looked like a great place to unwind with a glass of wine. The staff offered outstanding customer service. We also liked the fact that the front desk was staffed 24/7. The only downside was that my wife and I both found small bugs in the bathroom. Nothing outrageous, they were small (very small) red millipede looking bugs. I will certainly return if we can get the rooms at a decent price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mill Street Inn? Share your experiences!