“The Mill Street INN-considerate” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Mill St., Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derby, CT
“The Mill Street INN-considerate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Would have given 3-stars if not for such a horrible experience regarding their billing issues (I had to cancel my credit card to prevent fraud as a result). I'm honestly perplexed by the four and five star ratings from other guests. We visit Newport in the summer each year and have stayed at the Marriott, Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, The Attwater and The Vanderbilt which all surpass the Mill Street Inn. THE POSITIVES: There is no charge for parking which is provided at a tight squeeze both underneath and along side the building, modern/trendy decor, free continental breakfast in the basement, the roof-top deck, only a 1-1/2 block walk from Thames Street. THE NEGATIVES: Overpriced considering the lack of amenities, the MUSTY odor that greets you once you enter your room, no elevator, no valet, basic cable TV channels (no movie channels). I only mention the lack of TV entertainment because we had dismal weather for most of our 5-day vacation (usually spend most of our time on the beach) and once I asked the front desk if they had movies, I was provided with a list of outdated DVDs to borrow. Our balcony (room 214) overlooked a neighbor's driveway and the street (see photos).

My biggest complaint? Once we returned home I received a call from the Visa fraud prevention center stating that the Mill Street Inn attempted to make 7 charges to my credit/debit card for 7 different amounts! The manager claimed that they charged us for the total nightly rate, then attempted to void the original charge to add a $5 charge for a candy bar from their "honor bar". First of all, we did not eat a candy bar as the cleaning lady claimed (we actually walked a block to the convenience store to buy snacks). Secondly, if the staff member is honest (highly doubt it), wouldn't they think that making 7 attempts to charge my card would send up a red flag? I HAD TO WASTE MY TIME MAKING MULTIPLE PHONE CALLS CONTACTING VISA FRAUD PREVENTION, MY BANK AND THE MILL STREET INN TO CLEAR UP THIS RIDICULOUS MESS AND CANCEL MY CREDIT CARD! So, the Mill Street Inn either has crooks on staff or employees that are seriously lacking common sense and consideration for their guests. Either way, I wouldn't recommend staying here. Now that I think about it, we should have a BOX of candy bars sent to us!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Caron R, General Manager at Mill Street Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate all of our guests who take the time to write reviews of their stays with us, as we can always learn from our errors and continue striving to improve.

Per our previous conversations regarding the issues with the charges, it was truly an extremely uncommon and very unfortunate error for which we again genuinely apologize. As previously discussed we are happy to pay any fees associated with the situation and additionally, I am more than happy to make any calls that need to be made to clear things up. At the time of our conversation unfortunately I was not notified that you did not use the mini-bar or of any additional dissatisfaction with your stay, which has been noted here.

I assure you that our guests satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and please don't hesitate to let me know of anything else I might assist with in this situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am so happy we stayed at Mill Street Inn. The hotel is well located. The staff was amazing they could not do enough for my family. They made great suggestions for restaurants and things to do around town. They made reservations for us. The staff was great to my 3 year old and made sure she got a cookie or cupcake. I stayed in the junior suite which was perfect for my family of 3. I would definitely recommend and stay at this resort again.

Middle Village, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Came up from NYC for a 2 night getaway. The hotel's location was great, just a few blocks off Thames street. Complimentary parking was a big plus, as street parking can be tricky in Newport. Hotel staff was very kind and accommodating. Our Townhouse Suite was well furnished, clean, and had a nice view of the Newport harbor. Although we didn't spend too much time on the first floor of the suite, it was a nice addition and offered plenty of seating and desk space as well as a mini fridge. Bathroom was nice and clean, everything you'd expect from a SLH.

Complimentary breakfast was great, especially if you like a light breakfast like myself. Staff was very attentive and there was coffee and tea throughout the day in the main lobby.

Overall a great and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Mill Street Inn is a good, well-located small hotel that is conveniently located. The highlight is breakfast outside on the terrace overlooking the town. It is on the expensive side--but, then again, this is Newport.

Keller, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Mill Street Inn for 2 nights recently and highly recommend it. The location is perfect - a couple of blocks away from the crowds and quiet. I slept very well in the most comfortable bed and the nice touch at bedtime was pineapple gummy bears one night and blueberry jelly beans the other! I liked the set up of my room with the downstairs TV area and the upstairs bedroom and felt it would easily accommodate a family of 4. I had no problem regulating the temperature to my comfort level had absolutely no concerns about my stay. All the staff was friendly and accommodating and the ladies assisting at the breakfast were great. The food selections were good and provided enough variety to satisfy everyone. I definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has potential for five-star rating if they paid more attention to the little things that make the difference between very good and superior. For example, our beautiful and large suite's stall shower had missing grout and the door to the bathroom wouldn't stay closed. A stained carpet in the living room also took away from the overall quality of the suite.

That being said, the hotel is perfectly located for whatever your Newport pleasure may be. The staff is friendly and helpful and the complimentary breakfast and afternoon tea are well catered. The bed was very comfortable as were the other furnishings.

We would recommend this hotel for couples as well as families.

Stayed July 2013
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed in the mill street inn in June with my fiancé. The moment you walk in you feel at home. The hotel is conveniently located about 2 1/2 blocks from all the shops, restaurants and waterfront. There is complimentary parking tea coffee and fresh baked goods. Our room was spacious complete with everything you need and we had our own balcony! I am so impressed I am looking forward to returning very soon...

This is the place to be!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mill Street Inn? Share your experiences!