“Avoid at all costs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Manor Inn

You added University Manor Inn to your Saves list
University Manor Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3612 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14226 (Formerly Travelodge Buffalo University District)   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Buffalo
rt1976
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was in Buffalo for a conference and waited too long to book a hotel, so I got stuck out here. All the reviews are true. A taste of what I found there:
Peeling wallpaper
Broken and torn window screens
Stains everywhere: walls, carpet, ceilings
Leaky bathtub: after a three minute shower the floor was flooded (curtain liner had no effect)
Moldy smell throughout the room
Sticky bathroom floor
Old, worn out, scratchy blankets
And, as one reviewer pointed out, one of the especially weird and unsettling things was the wireless network, ICanSeeIntoYourRoom, which was obviously coming from the house that's less than ten feet away from all the bathroom windows in the motel (none of which have curtains).
The motel's wireless network was very spotty and almost completely useless. The "complimentary continental breakfast" was set up in the same very small room where people check in, with space for one tiny table and two chairs. They had a bunch of bananas, a waffle iron, some prewrapped Little Debbie-type danishes, and coffee that tasted like they reuse the grounds.
I don't know if it's a welfare motel or not, but there were definitely people living there.
To cap it off, it's in a really sketchy neighborhood. I asked around about the area while I was at the conference and they all got very worried about me staying out there.
Also, you'd think for this place, you'd get a bargain--nope. Paid $109 per night.
If I was doing this again and it was this place or nothing, I'd cancel the trip altogether.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Cambridge, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Wish I had read other reviews before booking my nonrefundable stay. I was given a room that reeked, with wallpaper peeling all over the place and large dried vomit all over the floor next to the bed. There appeared to be illicit (prostitution) activity occurring on the premises. My heart was pounding and I felt unsafe. After seeing the room, I promptly returned the key to the front desk. The man simply nodded when I told him that I could not possibly stay the night. Naturally, I received no compensation from my cancellation. That said, it was worth it not to stay at this horrible place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My family's experience was the same as the other four reviews I've just read. I also used the "three star for two star prices!" offer from Expedia and I'll NEVER do it again! The minute our car of three female travellers pulled into the parking lot, we were shocked. There was a family sitting outside one of the units that they obviously live in. Pretty obvious when you see the "weekly rates" sign outside the hotel. Our bathroom was dirty - miscellaneous hairs, sluggish toilet and tub, no regular source of hot water and the rusted light fixture - along with permanent stains on the sheets. At 9 pm a group of bikers rolled in for the night and kept revving their engines during the evening. My adult daughters had a very hard time sleeping, so we didn't bother staying a second night - it just wasn't worth the "savings" from this misleading offer!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Be warned: This is not a real motel. It's a welfare motel that also rents out vacant rooms as a hotel. What to expect? Dirty rooms. Cleaning consisted of making the bed. Sweep the floors? Clean the mirrors? Wash the floors? Fuhget about it. Enjoy the poverty stricken residents sitting outside your door arguing over the last cigarette etc... The continental breakfast was a disgusting, pitiful, selection jammed into what also serves as a front office. DO NOT BOOK A ROOM HERE. It sucks!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
rio grande, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

It is a nice location across the street from university ..clean room..good service... resonable rate compare to other hotels in buffalo down town...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Now called University Manor Inn, this motel is currently going for $100 on Expedia. Good thing I didn't pay that! When I booked a few weeks ago for a stay last weekend, it was going for $80. I paid $77 for a $3 "deep discount" on a 3-star hotel in the Amherst area. I was expecting a 3-star as promised and was shocked when I saw the non-refundable booking (which was still $4 more than if I had simply booked this motel directly without Expedia). I don't mind a 2-star hotel (even that is generous here), but having lived in Buffalo for 8 years, I immediately knew this was in a "rough" part of town. (I woke at 3 AM to a couple arguing during my stay, but at least no shots were fired.) The breakfast is a couple loaves of bread/bagels and a waffle maker in a small 2-table room by the office. Wifi was spotty, but found it humorous that one of the local secure networks was called "Icanseeintoyourroom", which indeed they could, as my shower was directly across (10 feet) from a house's windows, with no curtain! Expedia would do nothing for me to cancel this booking, so I vow never to use their service ever again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Mississauga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I booked my hotel using the "unpublished rates" option on expedia- this is where they don't tell you what hotel you're getting-but are guaranteed a certain star rating- and deep discounts off of the published rates. I was promised at least 3 star accommodations- which this ABSOLUTELY is not. Also, I checked the "published" rates to see my discount.......I saved $2.

I had the below issues during my 2 night stay:

2 light bulbs were burnt out
unrepaired holes in the walls
Stained carpet
rusted light fixtures
malfunctioning A/C
no drain plug in the sink
clogged shower drain
rust stains throughout the shower
extremely noisy- when people would flush their toilets or run water in units near me (above or beside) it sounded as if they were right beside me.
hard as a rock bed and pillows (and I really like a firm mattress).

Also- no night staff- which meant when I encountered some of these issues- there was no one to help!

Extremely dissapointed- both with Expedia and the hotel- and suffice to say, I will never use either again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to University Manor Inn? Share your experiences!