“Excellent value hotel in downtown Buffalo” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Weekend HHonors Points
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Buffalo
New York City, New York
“Excellent value hotel in downtown Buffalo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed on Oct. 19th using our Hilton Honors points and got a great rate for a Friday night stay. At first glance, it appears as though the hotel is in a sketchy area (especially as we arrived around 9pm) because there aren't many people milling about the neighborhood. However, you'll see that the hotel happens to be in university research area near a hospital, and is not far at all from the actual downtown - maybe 5-10 min by car. Most of the people that you will notice on the street are hospital employees stepping out for smoke breaks, and all the buildings nearby just look as though they're part of a research campus. We found that the area was actually quite safe as we opted to park our car on the street and had no fear of going back and forth to retrieve items that we needed.

As soon as we checked in, we were greeted warmly and were given chocolate chip cookies which was a nice gesture. We were immediately informed about local dining options and given menus for recommendations in the area. We didn't end up using them, but it was nice for the clerk to have those on hand and offered before we even asked.

The hotel itself is very clean. As soon as we stepped off of the elevator, it was evident that they had cleaned and vacuumed as the air had the scent of freshly picked apples. We were given a room on the 2nd floor, and when we called to request a room on a higher floor we were politely informed that there was a wedding party being hosted by the hotel. The explanation was perfectly reasonable and our room was so comfortable that we didn't make any fuss. I am borderline OCD about cleanliness and it was clear that the room was meticulously cleaned. There were no spots or stains on the linens, the carpeting looked fairly new or at least well maintained, there were no traces of towel wiping on any of the furniture surfaces - but it was clear that they had been cleansed of dust. The bathroom was spotless and was a good size for a king room. There were the standard coffee/tea and complimentary bottles of water available. As far as comfort goes, the bed was very comfy. My husband appreciates some firmness to a mattress, while I truly adore all the softness I can get. We were both happy with the sleep that we got.

All in all, it was a great place to stay. The entire hotel looks and feels clean, and it's evident that the staff that run the hotel are accommodating to their guests. When we pulled up, the valet offered valet services but was helpful in letting us know that we could park a few blocks up the road on the street, as well as take advantage of private lot parking. It was nice that he didn't try to scare us into valet parking which is actually fairly reasonable - $13 per day. We'd definitely go back even if we don't get a good deal next time. And, they have bath products from Crabtree & Evelyn which was a nice addition. All in all, it was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeBuffalo, Assistant General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest; thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Our goal is to consistently strive to deliver an exceptional experience and I am happy to hear you had an excellent stay with us! Should your travels bring you back to Buffalo, we hope you will stay with us again. A warm DoubleTree cookie will be waiting for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Indonesian first
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recently spent a week at this hotel. The staff was amazing. Everyone was very friendly, from the people at the front desk to the housekeeping staff. The rooms were very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Spetch; the team at The DoubleTree Club by Hilton Buffalo strives daily to engage and exceed our guest expectations. We appreciate you sharing your comments!! Thank you for your patronage.
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here Oct. 5/12 for one night on our way to Pittsburgh from Ontario. The area is not inviting at all...however...once you get in it's great. We were greeted not by 1, but 3 staff members. After getting our vehicle valet, and our cookies (very nice) the supervisor was so helpful in getting us to a restaurant we wanted to go to. It was out of the "shuttle" area, but that was fine, we understood and had no problem getting a cab, which they arranged for us. The room was very spacious and the bed was so comfy (had the best sleep in a while). If I were doing the same trip I would definitely consider this hotel again.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had a one night stay here. Clean, modern and well kept. Lobby was pleasant and inviting. Our room was spacious.
One negative though, view from window was a brick wall.
Staff were pleasant and helpful.
Otherwise good visit.

Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

For a hotel next door to the Roswell Park Cancer Institute and Buffalo General Hospital, I could only find strange the note card left for comments on the room desk is entitled: "Your parting thoughts." I suspect these cards are sent from corporate headquarters, but it might be thoughtful not to have this title in this location.

Otherwise, staff was very helpful, room was clean and big. The restaurant/breakfast needs more staff and the coffee is just awful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Springfield, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and was extremely impressed with it. The front counter service was helpful, polite, and very accommodating with several recommendations for food . My room was an incredible suite that was as big as my first apartment, very clean, with a huge bathroom. I did not eat in the restaurant but took advantage of the in-room dining. The only downsize was there was no pool, but since I was in town for business, it did not play affect my stay. Do not let the proximity to the hospital worry you. In 5 days I was not disturbed by any emergency traffic. The hotel is located so close to downtown dining that food options are plentiful. If in Buffalo for business or pleasure, I will be sure to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our recent stay at the Doubletree "Downtown" Buffalo was average, on average. There were aspects that were very good - the daytime front counter staff, the room, the morning waitstaff (very pleasant woman who was attentive); but there were aspects that fell short - the restaurant (slow and servers who were not attentive and left dropped plates on the floor only to have guests step on them) and the location. When I read downtown in the name of the establishment I thought it would be downtown - it isn't. There is a shuttle to take you places which is nice but that is not the same. The neighbourhood is a wee bit dodgey so we didn't venture out at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
esarkis, Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Sorry to hear you were disappointed by our hotel. Although we are a few miles from City Center, we do try to compensate by making the Courtesy Van available to get our guests there and to other locations they may find interesting. I am sorry you encountered less than satisfactory service in the dining room and I will be sharing your comments with both the management team and with the staff. I promise that we will follow up appropriately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Thank you again. Elaine Sarkis, GM

Been to DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown? Share your experiences!