“Serious security issue followed by filthy room” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 20% Off
Ranked #9 of 22 hotels in Buffalo
Toronto
“Serious security issue followed by filthy room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had a terrible experience at the Hyatt Regency on the night of Nov 7, 2012. I can overlook the slow elevators (at least it's because they are upgrading them). However, there are serious issues that can never be overlooked. I was first able to get into my room around 5:30pm. About 30 minutes later, I received a phone call in the room from the Manager, asking for me by name, saying there was another issue with my credit card (there was some confusion when I first checked in). I was already heading out, so I said I would head to the front desk, which I did. There I learned that there was no issue, and then asked about this 'manager', who turned out, didn't exist. Switchboard confirmed that they had transferred a call, somebody who asked for me by name - violating company policy to start.

Realizing this was a ploy to get me to leave my room, I quickly turned and returned to my room. Everything was still there...which I took, and then returned to front desk to get a new room. After some hemming and hawing, I was given another room. While housekeeping had obviously been there (bed was made, etc), the room was disgusting. There was dried urine on the toilet seat and on the floor in front of it. The TV remote was covered in a mix of dried 'stuff', and I didn't dare touch it. Not trusting the rest of the room, including check for bedbugs (there were 4 different layers to check so I really hope I checked enough), I had to continuously wash my hands.

I won't stay at this hotel again, and it will take some effort for me to not associate Hyatt with filthy, unsafe hotels.

Room Tip: You'll find a cleaner, safer room down the street at another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
I am deeply sorry for the difficulties you experienced during your recent stay. This is not typical of the level of service and cleanliness we are known to provide. It is not hotel policy to transfer a call unless the room number is provided. Our Rooms Executive will be reviewing this policy with all staff to ensure that the proper procedures are being followed.

We are currently in the midst of a $1.4 million dollar modernization project of our elevators to include increased speed and efficiency, as well as completely remodeled cabs with digital media and information panels. During this time one elevator is out of service at a time. We have made a service elevator available to help avoid delays during peak times. Each cab takes approximately 16 weeks to complete. Our first newly renovated elevator came online in the last two weeks. We expect the second to be completed by New Year's Eve and the third by early 2013. We certainly do understand your frustration with the elevators and appreciate your patience as we work to improve them!

I would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. Please contact the hotel directly if you would like to do so. We certainly do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to Western New York.

858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Brampton, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Regency Hyatt Buffalo, as we were attending a Rush concert. From check-in to check-out we had a friendly and helpfull experience. The accomodations were very clean and comfortable. Kudos out to Bradley, the Bell person, he went "above and beyond" with his helpfulness and kindness as well as other staff. A delicious buffet breakfast was served in the bar/lounge area. Will definitely stay here again when in the area.
Jez.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Alice Grzesik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for one. Ought for a hockey game - right on the tram line it was easy access to the game with no hassles. Before hopping the train, we bar hopped a few blocks over and entirely had a wonderful time! Clean rooms with good taste!

• Stayed December 2011
highstandards1034
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Nice property, room very clean, very quiet which is important to me. Bell staff and really all staff very pleasant and helpful. Was there for a conference and the housekeeper came early in the day which I love. Nothing worse than finally getting back to your room late in the afternoon and still have room not made up or have to leave your room for them to do when you are looking forward to a break. This was the earliest I have ever had. Room service very prompt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New Castle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was recently at a convention in Buffalo, NY, staying at the Hyatt Regency. From check in to check out, all of the personnel were friendly and competent. Our early check in was no problem, the valet and the porters were especially friendly. The room was fine and housekeeping was great. When seated at the bar, the service was prompt,and friendly and drinks were perfect. Bar service at the tables was a little slow, but not unacceptable. The only food we had was at pre planned parties, but two of these were in the hotel and the food was great. In short, I would recommend this hotel. Valet even went out of their way to point out a parking garage that was $5.00 per night than their service.

Only two caveats, valet parks cars outside, so if this is an issue, use the parking garage, and the neighborhood is dicey, so take cabs at night, rather than walk. There were a couple of murders two blocks over, just before we arrived.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Accomadation fine, very nice staff. One issue with room was lack of products in fridge. No water etc. No table in exec. room if we had decided to order in room service. Nice breakfast with friendly staff

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We purchased a two night stay at the hotel through a jaunt.ca package. We were pleasantly surprised by the value we received for our money. Our room was very clean, quiet, and updated. They were undergoing an elevator renovation, so elevator service was slow. The hotel staff was exceptionally friendly. Valet service was included with our package, and while it's not something we usually go for, the staff were very efficient when it came to retrieving our car and very helpful with recommendations for shopping and eating. There is a Starbucks kiosk on site in the morning, but it's slow and the food options are subpar. Room service is excellent--friendly, efficient and delicious, too. We would definitely consider staying here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Hyatt Regency Buffalo? Share your experiences!