“Unless you are in a big big group avoid it. Not for family.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 21 hotels in Buffalo
Plano, TX
“Unless you are in a big big group avoid it. Not for family.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Eek !

Never never stay here. Pay $20 more and choose a better one please.
Reasons :
1. This hotel gets 100s of one-night guests courtesy New York - Niagara Tourist buses. So staffs are tired and rude. They don't care. No Service.

2. They say its 3 stay and dont even have a mini fridge or a decent TV. Rooms are very small and smelly. Curtains are very old. Every where it smells of damp and mould

3. Hotel staff have forgotten whats Customer Service. They are the king and treat guests very badly.

4. Ask for a King bed and they will make you wait for 1 hr before giving you one.

5. Finally because they get all sorts of men as guests they go through a lot of bad people. So slowly they come to think everyone in the same way. Image you walk to the front desk and complain that your room is smelly or whatever .. and a security and that too armed comes over and threatens you. Threatens you to throw you out of the hotel at midnight with all your family/kids. I just cant imagine. Its not Somalia .. its US 21st century .. wake up. Unbelievable. I just left the hotel immediately at 2am in the morning even though we paid for 2 rooms.

Never never stay there unless you are traveling in those tourist buses and don't care for anything.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Stayed in this hotel the second week of July on business and I'd have to agree with most of the other reviews. This hotel is old and shows it, my bed smelled of BO and mildue although the linen was clean and the cleaning service was fine. It really does need a serious refurbishing. The street noise at night is unreally considering the town is virtually dead at night, but it seems some trucks and motorcycles enjoy using this downtown road at night. Also be prepared, this is more of a tourist hotel with a number of tour goup busses stopping there and the assorted noise that's associated with groups in the halls etc. There is no fridge or safe in room, pretty basic.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Forest City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

This hotel is great when in Buffalo. The rooms are a bit dated but very clean. The front desk staff are super friendly and helpful. A wonderful pool during the summer months. It is an outdoor pool. The restaurant is great for breakfast. Good high speed internet as well. I will stay here again when in Buffalo.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Barrie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

Hotel is well used but clean. Beds, pillows, sheets and amenities were good. Bathroom needs upgrading, cracked tiles, caulking turned black in some areas and paint on doors has been spilt on the floor. Staff very nice and helpful. If you are looking for a restful stay do not go on the eve or day of a Sabres game or a Bills game. Cheering still going on @ 5AM!!!

• Liked — Staff, pillows, bed
  • Disliked — old bathroom, late night partying
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

When my husband and I checked in, we noticed the major multi-room party happening on our floor (#3). Before unpacking, we called down to the front desk, and asked if this was going to be a problem as we were in town for my husband’s mother’s funeral, and needed quiet time for rest. I was assured that these parties, happening all around us when we checked in, would not be an issue, and all we needed to do was call the front desk, and the hotel security would take care of it immediately.

Because we were out at the funeral home making arrangements for our first evening, we came in, and at about 12:45 AM we started to call. The door slamming, which occurred EVERY time anyone entered or exited the rooms both directly across the hall from our room and in the room next to us, was EPIC in proportion, and though we were assured it would be dealt with swiftly, nothing happened.

The literally CONTINIOUS door slamming (Imagine this for 11 or 12 hours straight) occurred all night and into the morning until check-out at 11:00 am the next day, as these people apparently never slept, and the management didn’t care that neither had we. After 10 hours of effort, I was assured it would be all over at check out time, as they all were going to "the game."

Though the staff was very pleasant with me the embarassingly numerous times I had to call downstairs to attempt to have this dealt with, and the manager on duty DID give us credit for the first night we were in the hotel, in future stay consideration, I would think twice about booking at this hotel on a Buffalo Bills game weekend or any other major event, as the hotel management priority is CLEARLY geared toward accommodating the whims of the drunken partiers with multiple room bookings. Good news for them.

I would recommend Buffalo Downtown Holiday Inn be completely upfront and honest about this priority with their guests, explaining that should they book the Buffalo Downtown Holiday Inn during the Bills season on a football game weekend, that the comfort of non-Buffalo Bill game-going guests fall very low on the comfort priority level totem pole, so-to-speak, ESPECIALLY those grieving for the loss of their mother by an unexpected death.

Be clear that their sleep, peace of mind, and comfort comes a far distant second to anything the incredibly drunk and obnoxious Buffalo Bills fans may have in mind for their party weekend. After all, the Bills fans ARE booking the majority of the rooms, and there is no way in hell Holiday Inn management is going to kick the drunkards out because a single room occupant can’t sleep the night before their mother’s funeral. No way. I would encourage The Holiday Inn management to be honest about this preference and clear proirity. This policy should thin out those annoying potential customers who may come to your hotel to actually sleep.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I was in town with my wife to enroll my daughter at Buffalo State College. After a long bus ride, I was impressed by the fact that not only did they offer shuttle service to the hotel, but that they allowed us to check in 5 hours early.

The front desk was courteous, helpful, efficient and knowledgeable. Check-in was a breeze, taking less than ten minutes.

Upon entering our room, we were greeted by a clean, well-kept environment. The beds were fluffy and comfortable, pillows soft and oversized and the bathroom was immaculate. We hit the beds right away and slept like babies in a womb.

The in-house restaurant was a little pricey ($8.95 for an omlette) for my taste, but the neighborhood has a lot of places you can eat for cheap (e.g. Arby's).

The neighborhood was quaint, quiet and had a kind of historic
feel to it.

Overall, I enjoyed my stayed and look forward to my next trip to Buffalo and checking back into the Holiday Inn Downtown. I highly recommend this place to anyone who is planning a trip and want to bring the kids with them.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

The Holiday Inn was the hotel chosen by my family for our 2008 Family Reunion. Our stay there was horrible. Maggie Connelly who is suppose to be a manager there lied to us about our room not being available for the next day because it had been reserved by another party.

When we got back from our family outing. Ms. Connelly told us that we had to get our things and vacate the room and that she would escort us personally to get our things.

Ms. Connelly also made accusations that we were trying to sneak into the room we were staying in for free. None of which was true. Once we made it down to the hotel lobby, Ms. Connelly comes back and tells us less than five minutes later that there had been a room cancellation.

What a coincidence! The room that had been cancelled was the same exact room my sisters and I had stayed in the night before. What a miracle! Not! The room had never been reserved and Ms. Connelly could have given us the room for the two nights that we had requested when we checked into the hotel.

The nightmare does not end here. It continues on after we check out and pay our bill. My sister and I both had our cards charged for two nights stay when the charges should have been split. We also found out that we were both over charged for what the hotel calls incidentals, which we never even turned on the television during our two nights stay.

My sister and I both found out later that there were several other relatives who had the very same thing done to them regarding their cards being over charged and having to still fight with the hotel to have their funds released.

I would not recommend this hotel to any one. The service there by Ms. Connelly and the staff at the hotel and who I have had contact with via telephone since I have been back home has been terrible to say the least.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The way management treated me and my family
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown? Share your experiences!