“Nice location, Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Church Street, Buffalo, NY 14202   |
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Buffalo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Upper Marlboro, MD
“Nice location, Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I spent two nights at the Adams Mark (Buffalo) this past weekend. It is conveniently located downtown and within walking distance of the minor league baseball stadium and several quality restaurants. The hotel lobby, bar, and restaurant were attractive and served as a great place to meet with friends. Room-wise, we have no complaints. The room was clean, beds comfortable and bathroom well updated. We did request a change of rooms upon check-in as the first room they assigned had an inside window that overlooked the atrium and bar area - the music from the bar was easily heard through the window pane and would certainly have made sleeping difficult. But upon request, the hotel staff immediately assigned us a new room facing the outside of the building with very little outside sound penetrating through the window. We ordered breakfast off the menu in the hotel restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality. Service was a tad slow, but the food was good - and plentiful. One last note... the business center computers and printers are in desperate need of an upgrade. We were unable to print our boarding passes on their PCs despite multiple attempts. That being said, Adam's Mark was a nice hotel overall and we would certainly stay again if were were in Buffalo.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We value your feedback and appreciate your business. I will look into the business center computers and get them up and running properly. I am looking forward to your return visit. Check out our Play Ball Package that includes a room and two tickets to the game.

Yours In Hospitality

Jim Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paterson, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I arrived at 7:30 am and was given an early check-in. I appreciated the early check-in, thank you. When I first check-in I was given a room 324, when I open the window there was a giant steel structure. I had no sun light or no view, just steel. I quickly went to the front desk and requested a room change. No issue, I was promptly accommodated by the courteous staff. Saturday morning I requested towel set from housekeeping. I was asked how many. I requested a four towel set. I was asked how many people in the room? I stated how does it manner, I am asking for four towel set. I was told you had two when you arrived, I stated so that is why I need four towel set since I got 2 towels at check-in. This conversation was back and forth for 3 minutes. I went down to the front desk and reported the incident. Of all the hotels good and bad I have stayed, I never had to beg for towels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
AT,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize for your experience with getting extra towels for your room. I know the extra demand for them during some of our team competition weekends did strain our counts. We have increased our stock levels to meets the needs of our guests. I am looking forward to your return and thank you for your feedback.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Work booked this hotel for me, and it is somewhere I would have not booked for myself after reading the reviews. It was as expected, just a large conference hotel. Room was ok except I got placed at the end by the freeway which was very noisy, so do try and get a room at the other end. Front desk did try to move me but they were fully booked out. Would I recommend it? Yes if you just want a cheap place to lay your head. But no included breakfast, or airport transfers means perhaps it's not as cheap as it first appears.

• Stayed May 2013
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Duncan,

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business. We are continuing to grow our corporate base with great rates for our business partners and many of these rates include parking as well as breakfast. Reaching out to our awesome Sales team I am sure they can find a great rate and package that a competitive and inclusive. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return.

Hood River, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here for a couple nights for a conference. Found the location convenient to downtown, and walking distance to the waterfront/marina area. Also an easy 20min drive to Niagra Falls State Park. If you have a car you are forced to park in the garage, and pay a daily fee.

Its clear this is a really old building, but has some decent renovations. My room had a huge king-size bed, microwave, fridge and a desk. A nice big flat-pamel TV with plenty of channels. BUT, its a bit run-down to say the least. The bathroom door-knob was all messed up, the sink faucet was damaged, the shower-head was vintage 1975 or so. I was on the 7th floor and had a nice view toward the lake I tihnk, it was hard to see though the window that hasnt been washed in a years.

The restaurant served a really good breakfast. The little gift-shop is convenient. I ordered room-service for dinner, and it took WAY too long for it to arrive, and the delverer complained he was so busy and wasnt getting tips... really? Cant imagine why.

I probably wouldnt stay here intentionally...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept apologies for the delay in your room service. I have shared your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage and he will certainly address it with his staff. We are excited about all the changes at the hotel and shower heads and faucets are on the list during our preventative maintenance program. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

Guelph, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First off... this is my first review of a hotel..ever. My line of work requires about 1/3 of my life in hotels all over the world...so I consider myself to have a well rounded view.

We attended an event at this hotel, so decided to stay for two nights (weekend) to make it easy. We arrived late on Friday with 3 young children in tow and had a "executive suite" booked. Their executive suite turned out to be a small room with 2 double beds, a fridge and microwave!!! We notice stains on a comforter and called the front desk to have it changed. After 2 calls and 90 minutes we took matters into our own hands... took the comforter to the front desk to finally get it changed at 11:30pm!

Our room was beat up to say the least. The bathroom door was falling off its hinges. The sink faucet was busted up and we could only get ice cold water from it... the shower was our source of hot water. Their were other smaller issues not worth mentioning.

The next morning I put in a request to have maintenance fix the above mentioned items. No one even entered the room in the morning, so I approached the front desk mid day. They told us it would be addressed before we came back (we were leaving for the afternoon). We returned to our room at 9:30pm and...nope nothing fixed.

The kids wanted to go swimming in the pool. The tiles around the pool were busted up and dangerous for bare feet. The water was cloudy. The kids swam for all of ten minutes and said the water "felt weird". Within minutes of getting out we could see a rash on all of them...a quick rush up to the room for a shower.

The hotel was run down an in dire need of massive renovations. Hallways, pool area, rooms...it was everywhere. Beat up, dirty, old.... you name it. It seemed like they were very short staffed and no one really cared about their surroundings. Staff were nice, I will say that, but management needs to clean their glasses!

We were also directly next to I-190, so the road noise at all hours was a bit much. I'm a light sleeper so ear plugs were a must for me.

I did complain at check out regarding the room deficiencies and they gave me a 50% rebate on 1 night's cost.

For the cost I would NEVER recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, even if the event was held there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Ryan,

Thank you for your feedback. I have shared your comments with our staff. We take great pride in our hotel and I am disappointed to hear of your experiences. These items are immediately being addressed. If you would like to discuss you stay further with me please do not hesitate to call me.

716 845-5100 ext 7077
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in the Adam Mark hotel for a long weekend in Oct 2013. I was there for a concert at the HSBC arena.

The hotel is only a few blocks from the HSBC and approx. 5 blocks from Chippewa Street - aka restaurant and party central Buffalo. There is parking next door, and its a convenient location to the I-90 and bridge to Canada.

The staff I found helpful and affable. This hotel was rated through the booking service as a 4 star. It may have been at one time, but the hotel seems to be well weathered. I'd say based on my travel experience its more like decent 3 star.

If your looking for good Buffalo wings and a lively bar atmosphere locally to the hotel - try Bada Bings or The Pearl Street Grill and Brewery.

All and all I found downtown Buffalo very clean, safe, friendly and it has great architecture courtesy of Robert Moses.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us your feedback and I have shared your comments with our staff. We are taking all of our guest feedback very serious and continually improve our product and service delivery. Not only are we walking distance to the Erie Basin Marina but the Naval Museum as well. Close enough to enjoy the night life of Buffalo but just far enough away to not be disturbed by the noise it brings. Of course we think our wings are the best in town but, we are bias. Looking forward to your return visit as Buffalo has so much to offer our out of town guests.

Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was recently a guest at this hotel and was dreading my stay after reading previous reviews. I had to stay at this hotel, for convenience sake, as my daughter was dancing at a competition that was being hosted in their ballroom.
I will give credit where credit is due. The front desk let me check in early. The room had some issues with the door to the TV stand not working, but we managed. Another thing was when I booked online, the service I used said a fridge would be in my room. Once in the room, I noticed we didn't have one, called the front desk and was told only executive rooms had fridges and I was in a standard. I said I was disappointed because I had in writing a fridge was to be there, Rebecca, at the front desk had one sent to my room, free of charge. She was pleasant and professional. The fellow arrived with it in under 15 minutes and he too was lovely to chat with and helpful.
We ate at the diningroom twice and Dylan was our server. He was efficient and pleasant; quick with the food and the bill. Jenis, a cashier, made my day. My daughter and I were walking to the store and the area, while it has beautiful architecture and was probably amazing many years back, is a little rough now, walked us to a store on the way to her bus so we wouldn't get lost. She was done her day of work but took the time to help us.
The salt water pool was nice and warm(for once in a hotel) and the atmosphere is nice with the solarium. We spent 3 hours just hanging out and swimming.
I do have some suggestions, cheese and dried basil, does not make a Margherita pizza...just call it a cheese pizza because those of us that know what a real Margherita is are deeply disappointed. Do suggest all guests hang the Do not disturb sign on your door if you don't want a 8am knock from housekeeping...I think 8am is fair Mon-Fri for business travelers but not for the Saturday crowd, it just ticks people off. Also, the sound system in the ballroom was awful! Not sure if it was your system so I won't lay all the blame on you, but if it was yours, you need a big upgrade!
Overall, you got the job done and my daughter and I had a nice visit. Back in the day, this was probably an amazing hotel but given the area, the economy and corporate cutbacks, I would say this hotel has suffered. Your renovations are obvious in the lobby, restaurant and I liked that the shower was tiled, not a plastic insert that always feel claustrophobic.
The price was fair and I would stay again for a competition but probably not for a shopping trip due to location.
Thanks and please pass on my thanks to those staff that stood out to me this weekend.

Room Tip: Run the fan on the HVAC to drown out night owls.