“average place, strange decor” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Church Street, Buffalo, NY 14202   |
Ranked #14 of 21 hotels in Buffalo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“average place, strange decor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The decor in the lobby and the rooms make you feel you are in the wrong decade or even century. The rooms have a very dated feel to them. Carpets need more cleaning.
The service is average.
I think if they renovated this hotel, it could do better, but that goes without saying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

769 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Luis Potosi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was a pleasure to find that a hotel that looks 70's-80's from the outside, has such renovated rooms and furniture. The service was excellent, very nice people from the front desk to the waiters, and room cleaners. I guess this quality of service is a Buffalo city trademark and the Adam's Mark hotel is no exception. The one thing I think this place has room to improve, is the restaurant. It's clean and with good service, however the buffet was mostly low-protein, high carb food; you know, lots of bread, deep fried stuff, pasta, but almost no high quality meat options. If you declined the buffet, you could only get a sports-bar type food, which was worse, only pizza, burgers and fries. The salad bar was decent though. I rather pay more for a buffet that includes red meat plates.
The fitness center is very complete, plenty of equipment and machines. Some treadmills were broken but everything else was ok.
The pool could have been warmer.
Another good point for this hotel is that I was there with my family for an annual international karate championship so it was packed however the service remained excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway noise. I got a pretty silent one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank your for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We really enjoyed the competition during the holidays and appreciate your business. We are very excited to have the group back for their next event. I will share your comments with the Director of Food and Beverage and I am certain he will take your feedback into consideration during our quarterly menu reviews. Travel safe and we will see you next time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I will start with the service from the start~ made reservation with Jim, he was genuinely attentive, asking amenities I would be needing, making suggestions, truly seemed to care that I would have a remarkable stay which is what they say there and I truly did thanks to Jim and Pam. Upon arrival Pam greeted us with a smile, she had suggestions of attractions to see, she took the time to help us plan our day. This is a very large hotel with beautiful dining area, so for the staff to really care about you as a guest not a $ says a lot. The room was beautiful, clean not a hair or dust bunny to be seen. Room has lg flat screen, mini refridge, microwave all hidden in a cabinet for a classy look. Next time in Buffalo I will be staying there again, for the price and location it's great! Mins from Niagara Falls, casinos, outlet shopping and zoos which we didn't see this trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I appreciate your compliments and will share them with the staff. Your Business is truly our pleasure. I am delighted we were able to make your experience special. Next time your in town we would love to have you back.

Lyndhurst, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at the Adams Mark on Jan. 29-30, 2013. I had stayed there in 2011-12 and had an excellent stay. This stay was almost as good. The actual hotel amenities were excellent - the woman at the front desk could not have been nicer. I checked in at about 11:30 PM and was told the hotel bar/restaurant was open and serving until 2 AM. That suited my hungry and thirsty self perfectly, When I checked out the next moning, there was a problem with my room key activating the automatic gate at the parking deck exit. A young woman at the front desk handled that perfectly, and quickly freed me to go home.
There were some hiccups to the stay, however. I was coming over to the hotel after a Buffalo Sabres hockey game. The first man with whom I spoke gave me directions to the hotel which I thought I followed correctly. I ended up on I-190 North to Canada before exiting at the next exit. I called back, and this time a hotel concierge (surprisingly still on duty at 11 PM) had a better knowledge of geography and talked me into the hotel.
The biggest problem had to do with billing. The hotel records had my reservation listed under 'Pay on Own'. When I work for the Buffalo Sabres (the reason for my trip), the Sabres set up my hotel stays on a direct bill. In fairness, I do not know if this mistake belonged to the Sabres or the hotel; regardless, it was frustrating for someone who had driven 3 hours to Buffalo, worked a hockey game for 11 hours, got lost with directions given by a hotel employee, and was quite hungry.
Do not let these last two paragraphs dissuade you from staying at the Buffalo Adams Mark. With the exception of the billing snafu (which may not have been the hotel's fault), NONE of the problems I encountered were the direct fault of anyone or any facility at the hotel. In fact, I called the hotel on Feb. 13th requesting an email duplicate copy of my folio, and a front office executive named Jim handled the request quickly and cheerfully.
I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone staying in downtown Buffalo look into the Adams Mark Hotel for their stay. It is an excellent hotel.

Ed Warren
drfont@aol.com

Room Tip: Call the hotel before your stay to insure your stay is billed to the proper person/organization.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Ed,

My apologies for the billing error and the directions you received. I know the roads in our city can sometime be confusing as the names are very similar. It was my pleasure to personally assist you with your receipt. I am looking forward to your return. We are all excited about the changes happening with the team and are looking forward to a bright future, but will miss our coach very much.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Had a great stay - rooms comfortable, beds are the best and I really like the color scheme. This is not my first time here and I always enjoy it when I am in town. I feel compelled to write because I had a problem when I was about to miss my flight because I was not ready when the shuttle I was scheduled for was leaving so I inquired with Pamela at the front desk who spoke with the bellman Gary and they were both so accomodating and went out of their way to ensure I got a ride to the airport. The lobby was very busy and while I was waiting for Gary to bring the shuttle around, I was speaking to a gentleman in the lobby telling him my story and it just happened to be the General Manager who was out talking with the guests. Thank you Adams Mark for being my home away from home in every meaning of the word.

Matthew

Room Tip: every room I have had on the 7th and 9th floor have been great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Matthew,

It is our pleasure. Thank you for your kind words and more importantly your business. I am so delighted to hear that Pam and Gary were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your return to the property. Travel safe.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Adams Mark for 1 night in a room with 2 double beds

Pros
- Location was ok.
- Gym and pool available

Cons
- Bed head broken
- Analoague TV
- Fixtures and fittings broken or very outdated
- Heater was very noises

• Stayed January 2013
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Valued Customer;

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us your opinion as a consumer is truly valuable. We continue to update and upgrade the hotel. I would recommend asking for the upgraded executive level rooms for the small up charge it is certainly worth it. Including flat screen televisions, IPod docking stations, Microwaves and refrigerators in every room.

I am disappointed to hear about heater being noisy, certainly your rest is our first concern. If we had of know about this issue we certainly made every effort to correct it for you as we have engineers on property 24 hours a day to provide outstanding service. My apologies.

If you have to opportunity to comeback call me and I will personally attend to your complimentary upgrade.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed there this past weekend as I took a flight from Buffalo as opposed to Toronto and thought that I would stay downtown instead of close to the airport.

Area--the downtown sights are all in walking distance but even for a frequent traveler like me, I decided not to go out at night--did not feel safe.

Check in-- the front desk staff did not greet me with a smile and seemed somewhat cool in the conversation. However, the interaction was only for a few minutes so I let that slide. Also, later that night I was trying to find a book of amenities in my room, went back to the front desk, different clerk and she was as aloof as the first person I met!

Room-- a nice one on the 8th floor, facing the city and it was very quiet. Beds comfortable, everything spic and span clean but the only issue was that even though I set the heat to max I was still frozen to death. Thankfully it was just an overnight.

I did dine in the restaurant for breakfast and that will be a separate review.

Check-out was easy and at last I did meet a front desk clerk who smiled and actually asked me how I was doing?! Her pleasant nature actually surprised me. Overall, not a bad experience but I think that front desk staff are the first impression of the organization and should perhaps have a bit of extra training in at least smiling.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the city are quiet, the other faces the highway.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
VisionsBuffalo, Manager at Adam's Mark Buffalo, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Rob,

Thank you for your feedback, I have reviewed your comments with our staff. I apologize for the impression they gave you it is our goal to WOW our guests at every opportunity. I have used this as a teachable moment and our commitment is to Excellence. I appreciate your business and am looking forward to your return.

Jim Burke

Been to Adam's Mark Buffalo? Share your experiences!