“Stayed twice in the past month, both times great!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Buffalo
Rochester NY
“Stayed twice in the past month, both times great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was in Buffalo first with my husband when we brought our son to college at UB, and a couple of weeks later with a group of friends for a concert. T his hotel is very conveniently located, walking distance from the downtown theater district and several good restaurants, and not far from the subway entrance,

On our first visit, we arrived very tired and overheated from trudging around campus on a hot, humid day. We were a couple of hours shy of check-in time but the manager, Theresa Smith, allowed us to check in early. when she noted that the room we had been assigned had a weak wifi connection, she gave us a free upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. The room was beautifully appointed with a very comfortable bed. Later in the afternoon when we went out for a bit of shopping and dinner, Theresa provided us with a map and some suggestions of where to eat. ( We can now give high marks to FAT BOB'S SMOKEHOUSE for barbecue, and COLTER BAY GRILL for burgers and wings....both within a block of the hotel. Colter Bay is a bit noisy but the wings make it worth it!)

On my second visit to this hotel I also received excellent customer service, wish I could recall the girl's name, a young woman with strawberry blonde hair and glasses....the first room I was assigned was next door to a group of guys with a case of beer and very loud voices. after 45 minutes in my room, during which time I could hear them yukking it up nonstop, I concluded that this was going to be a problem if I wanted to get some sleep. The young woman at the desk was happy to reassign me even though the hotel was already sold out for the night (and I'd already been in the room unwrapping the soap and so on) and she found me a nice quiet room. The same woman also helped me with using the hotel computers because I am not the most computer-savvy person.

Breakfast is the same at most Best Westerns, it isn't gourmet fare, but it is dependably fresh with a decent variety, and the coffee is very nice.

Other positives: we saw a number of housekeeping staff members and they always greet you with a smile, only a small thing but I think it lends a friendly atmosphere to the whole place. Also, I like the fact that the entire parking lot was very brightly floodlit at night, I expect it discourages thieves and I felt safe leaving my valuables locked in the trunk. Oh, and we love the parrot in the lobby.

I have only one minor complaint, and this will only trouble those who are traveling in a group. If your room is, for example, on the third floor, your elevator key card will ONLY allow you to go as high as the third floor. Friends on the fourth floor? too bad. You can't go knock in their doors. you can only go to their rooms WITH them. And THEN once you have, you cant get BACK to your own floor, the fourth floor friend had to key the elevator FOR you. key cards required in the stairwells too. This made it difficult for us as we were a group of eight and we were trying to gather in one persons room for some wine and cheese later in the evening, and the running back and forth with the right persons elevator key EVERY time someone needed to go in or out was ridiculous. I understand the need for security but there has to be a way around this.

I would definitely recommend Best Western On The Avenue for comfort, convenience and service, with the caveat that if you are in a group, you should make sure you're all on the same floor.

Room Tip: make sure your whole group is on the same floor, or the lower floor occupants won't be able to g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Delmar, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in September while in Buffalo for business. The hotel is in a good location - Close to downtown, restaurants and bars. The area seems safe, however, the front desk does tell you to make sure to remove any valuables from the car. Good practice, but makes me leary of the area.

The lobby is small but the bird is pretty cool to come back to. The rooms are straight out of the 1980s. Very basic, no extras.

The breakfast is just ok. I have had better at comparable hotels.

I may stay at again, but would probably check out other options in the area to see how they are.

• Stayed September 2012
kingston, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The staff was very friendly and professional. Unfortunately the room did not meet my expectations. There was mold on the bathtub tile and in the grout - especially around the soap dish - yuck! I was also not impressed with the plastic sheet under the badly wrinkled bottom sheet on the bed. On the plus side the free 24 hour coffee in the lobby was nice. Since cleanliness if a priority for me I would opt for a different hotel on my next visit to Buffalo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

High spot is a 16 year old African gray parrot in the lobby. Nice to find an elevator for a change and security is good - you need your key card to get above ground floor.

Room is nice, my wife liked the heat lamp in the bathroom. TV is old and small.

Room Tip: The clerks were helpful, picked a location best for us: I wanted a room near the elevator since I am...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Baxter, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

What a wonderful stay in Buffalo. Reason for trip was nephews wedding. Our room, the service, the employees, from top to bottom was AWSOME! Everyone was willing to assist when needed.
Daniell, Theresa and Dawn were exceptional. Every housekeeper, every employee I had any interaction with were outstanding! The old saying saving the best for last, well I am! Vernon, "the man"! What an enjoyable, helpful attentive guard, you are the BEST!!!
Thank you all for your help and service. It is very obvious you all enjoy your job and feel "ownership" in your place of employment!
I will be back!!.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We are actually still at the property as I write this review. It's a good value hotel - clean, somewhat updated, and the room is a decent size. I'd come back here without a doubt when travelling to Buffalo.

The most impressive feature are the staff who work here - friendly, helpful, and willing to go out of their way to assist us. When we arrived, we asked if a small refrigerator was available. Allie, the front desk staff, said she wasn't sure there were any available but said she'd look anyway. Within minutes she called and then came to our room an plugged it in for us saying she was just happy to help.

The morning breakfast host was as friendly as can be! The choices for continental breakfast were wide enough ranging that anyone could find something they would like. If there is any criticism, the coffee is entirely too weak.

It was a good visit. I'd come back to explore the area a bit as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Warren, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 4:30, and was given keys for both rooms I booked. We found none of the rooms were cleaned when we got to the 4th floor. The maid who was cleaning the room next door told us to go back to the lobby because she didn't know we were coming in, and our new rooms would definitely be on a different floor. So we all went down, with all our children and luggage, and was told that there was only one room ready at that time if we wanted to stay on the same floor. So we went to the clean room, still on the 4th floor, and they called the room in about 30min telling me to go down the lobby for the key of the other room. We understand that these things happen, and we were not in a hurry for anything so that was not a problem for us to wait and go between our room and lobby for several times. What we were unhappy with was that nobody from the hotel said "sorry", not even for ONCE. Won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN On The Avenue? Share your experiences!