“A Tasty Treat in Buffalo” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 908 restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: European, Ukrainian, Eclectic, Sandwiches
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A small, quaint farm-to-table bistro focusing on preparing the majority of the food on premise. We make everything from our butter to our bread. We work diligently with local farmers and other food producers to attain the best quality ingredients available to us. We butcher the majority of our meat in-house utilizing every edible part of the whole animal when it is available. We procure a whole Heritage Breed hog every two weeks from T-Meadow Farm in Lockport, NY. It is butchered in-house, by hand and processed into various products such as prosciutto, lardo, cappocolo, sausages, bacon, roasted pig heads, pates, and country hams. We also regularly acquire all of our poultry, rabbit, whole lambs, and a variety of bird eggs from Painted Meadow Farm in Franklinville, NY. This enables us to work closely with the farmer to ensure that the animals had a happy, healthy life and were not mistreated in any way prior to slaughter. We are adamant about using every part of these animals as a sign of respect for the life they have given up in order to nourish our guests and ourselves. The majority of our produce is also procured locally and in season. You will not see asparagus on our menu until late May or early June. Local, fresh picked veggies are much more nutritious than their mega mart counterparts. This approach also ensures a minimal environmental impact for the simple fact that they do not require a long journey from thousands of miles away, thus burning valuable fossil fuels. The effect of keeping our money in the hands of small local farmers is one that can be felt throughout the region. There is a lot to be said about doing business face to face with the people who produce your food. They are very proud of what they do and will hold themselves accountable for delivering sub-par products. That fact is a very refreshing change from ordering from a stranger over the phone and hoping that the cello packed veggies from who knows where. Our farmers who supply us have become our friends over time, and it is great knowing personally everyone who touched what goes on a plate and out to our guests.We are also fortunate to be acquainted with one of the country's premier fishmongers located in Boston. They are located right on the Old Fish Pier in South Boston, a very prestigious and vital location for fresh seafood. This company supplies some of the best Chefs in the US. They will also custom cut or process the fish any way that is desired which is usually not the case. The quality, freshness and variety available to Europa due to them is very apparent on each plate we produce. You will be hard pressed to find better anywhere in the region.Reservations are highly recommended for all parties who plan on dining with us. Due to our small size, we fill up quickly. Out of out 28 seats, 10 are at the bar. If you are travelling, don't leave it to chance to get a seat. We will do all we can to accomodate anyone. If you are vegetarian, vegan, or have a food allergy, please do not hesitate to call us and let us know a few days prior to your visit. Doing so will ensure that you will get what you want and not have to worry about what you will be able to eat. We are more than happy to make you whatever your heart desires within reason. We are in the Service Industry after all, and at the end of the day our pride rests on your fulfillment. We hope to see you very soon. Thank you to everyone for your continued support. We are nothing without you.
Buffalo, New York, USA
“A Tasty Treat in Buffalo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Bistro Europa was one of the biggest surprises I've had in Buffalo. The first time I went was over lunch one day and splurged bc everything sounded so amazing.

I'm a big fan of farm to table restaurants so this was a pleasant surprise.
I've had the basil lemonade, a fresh pasta with squash and the sticky toffee pudding - all amazing.

Most recently I had the local beets 5 ways (very interesting and tasty), a swordfish in a romesco broth with fingerling potatoes - amazing and rich, and pumpkin donuts with a cider. Amazing.

Overall, their menu is varied, fresh and very well-thought-out. Finally. A place in Buffalo that appreciates fine dining! Highly recommended!!

93% Recommend
Buffalo, New York
“A Taste of Europa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Thinking about Bistro Europa's move to Connecticut street prompted me to pay them another visit on Elmwood. You never know what changes are in store when a great place relocates, and I guess I just wanted to create another memory - just as it is today.

I made a reservation and, thankfully, got one of the last tables available. They were completely booked.

I sampled their spaghetti squash as an appetizer and enjoyed conversation while I waited for my entrée to arrive. I watched as the beautifully presented dish was placed before me.

The Lamb Chop (Ala Steve Gedra) had been pan seared and finished in the oven. I have as much difficulty describing the aroma of lamb as I do its flavor. The best that I can do is to say that the dark seared meat tasted like a less marbled sear of beef that was infused with grass or meadow. It wasn't gamey, it was just pleasingly different from beef. The color and aroma were just marvelous. And the Sessions Black beer I ordered paired perfectly with the lamb dish.

The next item to arrive was Ellen Gedra's signature dessert 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'. The words phenomenal and amazing are very much overused and again - very subjective. So let me just say that when my 'Sticky Toffee Pudding' arrived I requested two additional spoons.

I invited two guests sitting nearby to taste the 'molten toffee, chocolate and whipped cream concoction' and - they immediately ordered one themselves.
It was 'that' kind of amazing.

Throughout the evening water was refilled, tables bussed, napkins replaced, dinnerware changed out, guests checked, rechecked and checked again and - people tasted, smiled and enjoyed all that Bistro Europa had to offer.

My hope is that there will be more available seating at their new location - so that more people can enjoy as well.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, MA
“One of my favorite meals of all time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was visiting friends in Buffalo, and I have to say that my pasta dish at Bistro Europa was one of the tastiest dinners I have ever had! The combination of ingredients, the sublime sauce, the textures, and the rich taste made it absolutely delicious. This small place is a big winner!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
somewhere deep in Ohio
“very small place that serves very big food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Visited here on a Friday night with friends who made reservations far in advance. A very small dining room. Maybe 8 tables. Good wine and beer list. Began with a local greens salad with local pears topped with a gorgonzola dressing with Marcona almonds. Two of us had it and thought it was one of the best salads we had ever had, maybe the best ever. The steamed halibut was surrounded by or on brussels sprouts, artichoke barigoule, leeks and concord grapes. How the chef came up with this I have no clue but it was but it was outstanding in everyway it could be. Corn bisque, beet salad, and squash blossoms were rated as superb as well. Casual and cozy. What a place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lady Lake, Florida
“Is THIS what a pierogi is supposed to taste like? Wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The title says it all. We stopped in for a quick bite this week and were blown AWAY by the pierogis! Now I know what they are supposed to taste like. Wow. Soup was fabulous as well. Don't miss this experience. I have been reading pierogi recipes ever since and am going to try to replicate. Will dream of these! (I'm a foodie).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere