“The perfect place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buffalo
Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House
You added Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House to your Saves list
893 Elmwood Ave, corner St. James Pl, Buffalo, NY 14222   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Buffalo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“The perfect place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Karen is the hostess of the Elmwood Inn where she has created a relaxing and artistic ambience. Every detail of the decor has been considered and there is another treasure everywhere you look. This inn is the antithesis of the corporate hotel, with original features, wood floors, oriental rugs and individual items of furniture. My bathroom was a haven, with candles thoughtfully provided for illumination while soaking in the raised, extra-deep bath.

Karen provides fresh fruit and homebaking for breakfast every morning and is very friendly, helpful and interesting.

The inn is perfectly situated for the cafes, bookshops, architecture and art galleries of the boho Elmwood area. If you are using public transport there is a bus stop nearby with buses every 15 minutes to downtown and all connections.

Not to be missed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Western MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I've stayed here a total of perhaps 30 or 40 days over the last few years, for many reasons:
- Location is excellent, in the Elmwood section with nice restaurants etc.
- The place is clean, no one ever smokes there, so no trouble with the simple pleasures like breathing.
- The host, Karen, is nice, interesting, intelligent, helpful, and friendly, but not intrusive. If you want to keep to yourself, you don't have to worry that you're hurting her feelings.
- The little things make me feel welcome. I can always get another bottle of water from the closet, or another chocolate from the bowl, or heat up my food in the kitchen.
- Everything works. The hot water is hot, and runs, the bed is comfortable, etc.

The decor is cool (arts & crafts style) but I'm indifferent to that. Karen also makes treats on many mornings, probably good but I'm usually out the door before it's ready. And there are probably more things too, that I can't think of, that someone else will like.

I always recommend this place even though it means sometimes they don't have room for me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We love staying with Karen at the Elmwood Village Inn! Our most recent visit was in March 2013 but we have been staying with Karen since we discovered her Inn last year (6 visits so far), and we look forward to each return stay. We are Buffalo natives who visit frequently to see family and now consider Karen's Inn our home in Buffalo; we wouldn't stay anywhere else!

The rooms are lovely, with perfect touches throughout the Inn (which is exquisitely decorated), the breakfast treats delicious and the company unparelleled - both Karen's and the many friendly and interesting guests we have met there. The location is fantastic - in the heart of Elmwood Village very close to great restaurants and wonderful shopping and in a charming neighborhood. Karen's knowledge of Buffalo and what is going on that guests may be interested in is amazing.

We have stayed in the Master Suite and Skylight Suite and both are lovely - spacious and comfortable. All the touches and amenities - big and small - are perfect and we are always amazed at how Karen anticipates guests' every need. We look forward to our next stay this Summer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The passion of the host or hostess makes a B&B great. Karen's enthusiasm and charm make this a great B&B. She has decorated the house with an artistic eye. And she is more than willing to assist you, or simply chat.

The Elmwood Village Inn is well situated. It is among several blocks of boutiques, shops and restaurants along Elmwood Ave. Highlights for me were the Blue Monk (fantastic selection of draught beers) and Bistro Europa (wonderful intimate restaurant). The Albright-Knox Art Gallery is less than a mile away on Elmwood Ave.

You can expect good coffee, juice, fresh homebaked goods, a selection of fruit and good conversation. Don't expect a three course breakfast.

You can hear the street traffic from the Middle Eastern Room and the Middle Western Room. But Karen has provided a white noise machine. I am not a solid sleeper on the best of nights. But I had no problem sleeping. If you are terribly affected by noises, then this may not be the place for you.

By the way, the bed in the Middle Eastern room was very comfortable.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: You can hear the street traffic from the Middle Eastern Room and the Middle Western Room. But Kare...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Elmwood Village Inn marries old style elegance with modern artistic vision to create a lovely, interesting (great art), and immensely comfortable place to stay. And then there are Karen's delicious morning treats and her good company. I stayed at the Inn on a work-related trip, but as soon as I arrived, I began wishing for a huge blizzard that would have me stuck at the Inn for a week.

Room Tip: Go for the master suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and this place was uhhhhh-mazing.. Karen, the owner, was friendly and helpful and full of knowledge about the area... and she baked some fantastic pastries every morning which I ate all of. Great dog Max too. AND she has a bookshelf wall which swings on hinges hiding a secret room. Cooler B&B? Probably not. I'll be back for sure. P.S. try the wings at Gabriel's Gate (thanks for the tip Big E)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My hubby and I just got back from a great stay at Honu House. We stayed in the Skylight Suite this time and loved it. The suite is huge! Huge, comfortably and beautifully furnished (not fru-fru like other B&B's. This place is full of African masks, Native American style woven blankets, local art, handmade dishes, etc), nice sized bathroom, comfy, inviting bed, a kitchen, skylights, big closet, and good wifi. We did have a problem with not being able to get into the inn one night and ended up having to stay with my sister, but the innkeeper, Karen, refunded our money for the night and was very gracious. Make sure the keys work in both the outside knob and deadbolt before going out for the night. This was an unusual situation and I don't think this is a common problem at all. This inn feels like a home, not a hotel. The innkeeper is welcoming and fabulous to talk to. We spent most mornings chatting with her for over an hour over breakfast. When I go back to Buffalo, I will always stay here. There is no question of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: The Skylight Suite is up two flights of stairs. If you have limited mobility, make sure you inquire...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Elmwood Village Inn: Honu House? Share your experiences!