“Best burger I have had” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #288 of 818 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub, Vegan
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Since 1969, the Steer is located in the heart of Buffalo's University Heights, right next door to its sister restaurant, Lake Effect Diner. Newly Remodeled, open for lunch and dinner and weekend brunches. Upstairs private banquet room available.
“Best burger I have had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

It was awesome.
We were there early and were seated right beside the fireplace which was very nice as it was windy and cold outside.
We had the starter mixed salad, which was good. I had the Memphis burger with slaw, chedder, bacon, onions and a side of mac and cheese. I loved it. My husband had a burger with hot peppers, provolone and onions and half of my mac and cheese. He said it was very good.
We would definitely return.

Visited March 2014

New London, Connecticut, USA
“Young crowd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great service. Very noisy at the bar, but a nice terrace area where you can relax and have more quiet. Or the dinner area which was also quieter.

Visited October 2013
West Seneca, New York
“great service, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

went with a friend from out of town. Had chicken fingers, fries (a rather small order), deliciously spicey fall harvest soup, one had dinner-salmon-which he said was good-not delicious. Atmosphere is a far cry from the days it was run by the Turgeon Brothers-like a college bar with a side dining room. Menu gave a nice choice of typical Buffalo fare with some nice dinners too. Our server was very friendly and fast. A nice selection of beer-a few seasonal choices from local breweries.

Visited October 2012
Buffalo, New York
“Nice Local Bar with above average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

This place is mostly a college bar. The food is pretty good...wings, pizza...we tried the pizza with the Ghost chili peppers (hottest chili pepper in the world) and it was awesome. Burned the $&@% out of our mouths, and the waiter was conscious of this and kept our beers and drinks filled and cold. Overall nice experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, NY, USA
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My wife & I went back to The Steer after many, many years as part of a local Restaurant Week promotion - $20.09 per dinner. Bad idea...right from the start.
1. Both front doors were thrown wide open. Why?
2. Upon entering you are in a bar with no restaurant in sight. No hostess station.
3. After inquiring about the whereabouts of the restaurant from the bar patrons, someone (waitress? hostess?) directs us to the restaurant with a "sit anywhere you want." Even though we had reservations, no one asked.
4. After ordering, water came in bottle (nice idea for self refills), but no ice.
5. Never got any bread.
6. Chicken wings appetizer came. Hot wings were OK. But after saying she'd bring some more napkins, the waitress did not.
7. Entrees arrived...before our salads. Upon inquiry as their whereabouts, the answer was "I'm sorry" (a refrain we heard a lot - not just about our meals but also to nearby diners about theirs) and the salads appeared so we had to eat the entrees with our salads instead of having the salads first.
8. Additional napkins (paper not the cloth ones we had) appeared at some point. A little late since the wings plate had long since departed.
9. My wife's potatoes had a lot of garlic, which was not mentioned in the menu. Since she cannot eat garlic, the waitress had to substitute a different potato. But the waitress never asked to take my wife's plate back to the kitchen to make the switch - just brought out the sub potatoes on a separate dish.
10. My potatoes were steak fries but the waitress never brought any ketchup.
11. Our steaks were ok but nothing to brag about.
12. Waited 10-15 minutes for our desserts after the entree plates were cleared. Got a ridiculous excuse for the delay from our "I'm sorry" waitress. My wife's dessert appeared but I had to wait another 4-5 minutes for mine. The desserts were OK.

The dining room has large windows as part of overhead garage-type doors that must be opened in the summer to enlarge the restaurant to include the outdoor "patio" area. The problem is that the windows and "patio" areas front the parking lot so you're looking out to parked cars facing you only a few feet away. Not exactly scenic or appetizing.

It will be another 20 years before we even consider going there again. Hard to believe a restaurant with that kind of service could exist for so many years. Time to say "nighty-night" and close the doors.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere