“Loved the wings & service, but Manager/Owner seemed to be in a bad mood.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Anchor Bar

Ranked #49 of 919 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Italian, Californian
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Summerside, Canada
“Loved the wings & service, but Manager/Owner seemed to be in a bad mood.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great wings! highly recommended. Cleanliness was a little lacking, and the general repair of the building could use some updating.
Couldn't help but notice the manager or owner in the background talking to servers & bartender in a very degrading tone. They were all very friendly and accommodating regardless of the way they were being treated. We left a comment card and so I hope this helps the place as it is very unique and an interesting spot to visit.

• Visited March 2013

• Indonesian first
Cape Coral, Florida
“Great wings and beer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Nice big, juicy wings. They aren't cheap, but when you see how big they are you will not be dissapointed. I ate there 3 times since my dad was having a triple bypass at Buffalo General next door. Twice I had wings and once I had Beef on Weck. The Beef on Weck was awesome. Definatley would go back.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Came for the Wings Left Loving the Pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

You must come to Anchor Bar so you can say you went where it all started! My girlfriend is from Buffalo so I have been begging her to take me when we visit and I was pleased. We ordered some mild wings and a small peperoni and mushroom pizza. The pizza came out quick and was the best pizza I have had in a long long time. The crust was to die for! The wings were also good but lets be real everyone gets their chicken wings from Sysco or some other major food distributor now so the wings were good and their mild buffalo sauce was also very tasty, next time I will make sure to get medium. I will definitely be back to Anchor bar the place has a great atmosphere and is a gem!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“It's now a bucket list destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The Anchor Bar is now a cultural must-do for visitors to Buffalo. That's ok--their famous "Buffalo wings" are good to great depending on your opinion and spicy, never milquetoast.
Enjoy the local fave Genessee Cream Ale at the packed bar or dine in the restaurant area which featured a lounge singer on the Thursday night I visited. ("I Did It Myyyyyy Waaaaaaay!")
The restaurant does have a full menu but every table I saw simply ordered a large plate of the spicy wings and pitchers of beer. The servers pile them on a round pizza tray and place that at the center of the table for the whole party to share.
Service? Enthusiastic, but it's always crowded so plan expectations accordingly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto Ontario
“Nice but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

On our SummerFunGirl birthday jaunt in Buffalo we decided to stop by the Famous Anchor Bar to try out their wings. The place was much bigger than I thought it would be and we were sat in a dining area (as opposed to the main bar area.) Service was fast and friendly and the menu was quite expansive...much more than just wings but when you're at the birthplace of wings...well...you wing it! We split a bucket of 50...half medium and half hot. I ordered a potato salad and SummerFunGirl ordered a cole slaw salad. The food arrived quickly...which was good...but I have to say...not that impressed with the wings. They were nice and crispy...which is good...a good size, also good...but the taste...ummm...practically zero. The medium wings were taseless and the hot wings were slightly better but just tasted like someone splashed a little Frank's red Hot sauce on them...certainly nothing innovative or delicious. Perhaps buffalo wings were invented here but they've been improved on elsewhere. Both salads were extremely small...about the size of an ice cream scoop and for $4-$5 a piece they're very over-priced for what you received.

Overall, the meal was OK and the service was good but I'd never tell people "You have to drive to Buffalo to the Anchor Bar and have their wings."

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Been to Anchor Bar? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Anchor Bar, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.