“A great restaurant from...” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oliver's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 919 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Continental, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Amherst
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“A great restaurant from...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

A great restaurant from the Old School. Pricey, best for a special occasion. I go more often to sit at the bar, order off the bar menu. Perhaps the best steak sandwich you'll ever eat. And the bartender knows how to make a good martini.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Oliver's by their own words is "One of Buffalo's Finest Restaurants serving Contemporary American Cuisine in a...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Oliver's by their own words is "One of Buffalo's Finest Restaurants serving Contemporary American Cuisine in a Sophisticated Yet Elegant Atmosphere"...which is precisely what this Brilliant restaurant is. I've dined here a few times and have enjoyed every morsel immensely. The menu has its core regular items, but Oliver's often presents a variety of new contemporary selections. The wine lists is extraordinary and the service is remarkable. There is a lounge complete with a separate lounge menu and a lounge pianist nightly. Oliver's is pricey but worth it and a must visit. Dress is at least business casual and reservations should be made.

“Delicious, elegant, romantic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

Delicious, elegant, romantic.

“Okay but over-rated and also slightly over-priced for what you get.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

Dined at the Oliver’s last weekend and was mildly disappointed. It may be because of all the high ratings that my expectation was built too high. First of all, it’s valet parking only at the restaurant lot. If you are uncomfortable about leaving keys and letting someone to “play” with your car, you’d have to park somewhere else. There was only one jockey and it was quite amateurish. I had to wait a bit because there were two other cars arriving at the same time. Also when I asked for my bill when I was ready to leave, I gave the claim stub to the waitress to bring the car to the front only to be told that I needed to wait to give it to the jockey at the front door when he’d fetch my car.

There was no coat check. It was raining and we had to take our wet umbrella to our table.

I ordered the crab cake appetizer, which was the special of the day and the rib eye steak as my main course, which was also the special of the day. The steak only came in 16oz. size. My guest ordered the soup of the day (sweet potatoes) and the Alaskan Halibut as main course. The portion was simply too big and I hated to see food being wasted when people was starving at other parts of the world. The crab cake was mediocre and I had much better ones before elsewhere. The guest reported the soup to be okay, nothing spectacular. The steak was top notch but again, it should be trimmed down to a more healthy 10~12oz. The Halibut was a disappointment. The fish was not fresh and must have been in the freeze for a while. It came on a bed of spinach and wild mushroom horseradish mash potato. Quite a combination. Seafood must be fresh to be tasty. For dessert, I ordered the “chocolate soufflé cake”. It’s a brownie, definitely not soufflé. The overall service was good. I don’t think the chef really knows how to cook seafood or a very low local demand for it. The steak that I ordered was delicious. I have found the restaurant to be slightly over-priced for what you get. I couldn’t finish my steak and asked it to be put in a takeaway container as my lunch the next day.

A TripAdvisor Member
“dining at its finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2005

New to Buffalo within the past few years, we had heard the hype, that Oliver's was THE best restaurant in the area. It's safe to say there's some competition -- Lombardo's on Hertel Avenue and the legendary Salvatore's on Transit Road. But the service, the decor, and most importantly, the food, was impeccable and certainly worthy of the acclaim.

The Butternut Flan with gorgonzola duck confit was out of this world, followed by two perfectly-cooked fish entrées at our table -- the cod and a fresh ahi special. Was the meal worth the $100 for two people? Probably not. But it was certainly enjoyable, and would have been an ideal setting for an intimate celebration.

The coatroom would do well with either an attendant or a clean-up -- the hangers are competing with stacks of boxes and abandoned chairs. But if that's the worst thing I can find to gripe about -- and it is -- then I don't think they're doing too bad at all.