“Wonderful Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rue Franklin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 919 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: West Tupper
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Wonderful Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

There is nothing to dislike about this restaurant. I was visiting the Buffalo area from out of town recently, and had dinner with friends here. It was my second time eating here. I had duck (Pekin style). It was not overly sweet or syrupy and the duck was cooked just right and was very flavorful. My dinner companions were very complimentary of the lobster bisque they had as a starter. I would definitely come here again and again.

Visited March 2013

Toronto
“A Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I thought there couldn't be a French restaurant in Western NY because most restaurants that like to call themselves French actually lend themselves more to Italian, and not really good Italian. So I was skeptical about Rue Franklin but decided to try their 3 course fixed price dinner on a Tuesday evening.
The restaurant is tastefully decorated in a French bistro style with full table linen service and a formal and professional waitstaff and maitre D. There is a lovely courtyard open during the summer months and a pretty bar area for cocktails as well as two full dining areas. It is spotlessly clean.

We, (my partner and I), both opted for the fixed price dinner, which included an appetizer, a main and a dessert. On this day the 3 courses were priced at $34.00 each. There were 2 choices in each category.
Rue Franklin offers an extensive wine list and sells wines by the glass as well. The wine by the glass is a little on the high side, even the bottles are a teensy bit high but the selection is excellent and a good bottle of wine is important with this caliber of food.
My partner started with a lobster bisque which was wonderful. Big chunks of lobster were abundant and the creamy broth was sweet and rich as this type of soup should be. I enjoyed the Salmon Rillette which was a salmon pate type dish served with delicate micro greens and toast points. The salmon was smoky and was nicely blended with fresh herbs. Also excellent. Fresh warm baguette bread was served with butter and the bread was some of the finest I had ever tasted. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, it was actually better than some baguette I've enjoyed in Paris!
For the main course, my partner chose the lamb osso bucco served with oranges and cardomom and baby squash. Slow cooked to perfection with a subtle flavor of orange this dish was spectacular. The meat was tender and full of flavor.
I ordered the striped bass served a la Greque which I thought might be some nasty feta cheese thing but was surprised and delighted when it was instead served with delicate herbs and tender grapes. Saffron potatoes were served with it but I don't eat potatoes and I asked for a substitution. The server told me I could have another choice and anything I wanted. I opted for mushrooms, (her suggestion), and they were perfect. The fish was tender and delicious and very,very fresh.
For the dessert I enjoyed the chocolate souffle cake with house made vanilla ice cream and it was served warm. So extravagant and just the right sized serving. My partner tried a trio of custards, rather like a cream brulee treats without the crunchy toppings. Two of the flavors I found particularly outstanding. One was ginger and the other chocolate. It was accompanied by a very flat, very buttery shortbread type biscuit dusted with powdery sugar. Wonderful.
We each had a glass of wine, he, a cote de Rhone and I a savignon blanc each were priced at $8.
At then end our server brought us each a chocolate carmel house made by the chef and they were melt in your mouth sensational. Chocolate and carmel, not too too sweet but with a touch of saltiness which all good carmels should have.
Our bill came to about $90. before tip which we felt was more than reasonable given the quality of the food. And yes, it was French, with an American twist. If your tastes run to specialty foods, foie gras is offered as an appetizer as well as crispy veal sweetbreads served with apples and calvados. I'm trying those next time, and there will be a next time because I think Rue Franklin is the best restaurant in Buffalo.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Restaurant is French, very good food. I had the filet, my husband had the lamb. The lamb was among the best we've tasted. The tables are a bit close. The service is professional and attentive. They should have a no cell phone policy- as the table next to ours received two calls, which rang (very loudly, cause their phones were sitting out on the table) for all four rings.

They service fresh warm French bread
The cocktails were fantastic

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“a great french restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

this place is special: truly french with outstanding service and great food. The previous owners recently retired and sold the place to a young couple.(he used to be one of the chefs) and nothing has changed-except for a more imaginative menu.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West New York, New Jersey
“a bittersweet memory”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have been attending/enjoying dinners and celebrations at Rue Franklin for 27 years. Supportive of the restaurant's change in ownershio, we went to dinner there right after the changing of the guard when Dee-dee left.
That was more than a year ago. Dinner was superb.
I went back last night wth a friend whose birthday we were celebrating, and ordered the lobster/shrimp/scallops main course/entree.
While all else was perfect, the main course I should have sent back, and would have, had not the situation been what it was.
The lobster was old,, tough and tasteless, the shrimp ridiculous--small, and bland and with tails on in a rue--what am I supposed to do? Cut the soup and delicately scoop out the tails? Sea scallops--no, bay scallops. And the rue was pink water. Yes--pink water. The noodle cake was best--at the bottom.
The French are proud of their seasonings--shame on you Rue.

• Visited January 2013