“Nice evening” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 907 restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mike A in the Hotel Lafayette is a contemporary American fine dining experience, begining with the guests first impression of the beautifully restored hotel. Artisan crafted cocktails in the Art Deco era lounge begin an evening of unparalled service and cuisine and ala carte and tasting menus feature the finest ingredients prepared with passion and respect. The superlative wine list will accentuate a perfect dininng experience.
NY
“Nice evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Mike A's last weekend for dinner. The interior is lovely and welcoming. The servers and staff were outstanding on all levels including attentiveness, efficiency, courtesy, accuracy. They even raised the heat a bit when they noticed we were cold. The wine list is very good, very high end in some cases. We ordered the Seared Sea Scallop app, Lobster en Barigoule and Aged Peking Duck for main courses, Chocolate Soufflé for dessert. Descriptions of food taken from their menu:The scallops (Charred Grapefruit, Shaved Fennel, Rabarbaro Glass, Long Pepper, Vanilla Oil) The lobster dish (Braised Artichoke and Thumbelina Carrots, Red Quinoa, Compressed Grapes, Light Barigoule Broth), the duck (Smoked Jelly, Braised Chestnut, Turnip, Duck Soubise, Confit Cigarello, Liver Mousse, Tangerine). Everything was delicious. The food is something one might see inBon Appetit magazine. More high-brow than we normally eat with the smaller size portions, the foamy 'broth' and the jelly. I would not like to eat this way daily but it made for a lovely dinner and a relaxing evening. It is expensive ($42 for the lobster, $34 for the duck) but as a special night out, it's worth the splurge.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
New York
“All hype.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had really, extraordinarily high expectations for Mike A's, given the chef's track record. I came once for dinner and once for lunch, and will likely not be returning. Why? I echo the sentiments about poorly-trained staff.

During dinner service the companion and I ordered the Tomahawk steak for two (which I don't believe is on the menu any longer). Our server advised us that we could either slice it ourselves, or he could slice it tableside as it would come to the table in a huge slab. We asked him to do the slicing and were surprised when he grabbed one of our measly steak knives and starting hacking and sawing into this brontosaurus size piece of meat. I felt sorry for him, it really appeared he was struggling and by the time it was put on our plate it resembled roadkill more than something an upscale steakhouse would produce. All in all the meal tasted fine (we also got the French onion croquette and the marrow bones) but most of the menu items at Mike A's are just too rich/indulgent for me. It's almost over the top--maybe this is why this place is so hyped. It's not so much innovative as it is just excessive.

Lunch yielded similar results. I requested a salad to pair with my lobster roll instead of the house made chips and offered to pay the difference. I was told that there was no salad, it was fries or chips only, but there was clearly a salad on the lunch menu. I couldn't understand why a server would deny a paying customer a reasonable request. The only thing I can think of is that he was not trained to deal with the situation. Also, my lobster roll was comprised of *some* lobster, mostly roll, and a ludicrous amount of mayonnaise with a side of, you guessed it, more mayonnaise, for the chips I didn't want. Sigh.

For these prices, I expect way, way, WAY more. Sorry.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster, New York
“More like one in a million”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Listen, sit in the bar and prepare yourself for an awesome dinner. MIKE A's knocked it out of the park! Sea Bar is good, but Mike A s is the next level. Don't head there looking for a cheap night this place is priced right but costly. I have read complaints about service in the restaurant but the bar waited on me and it was full "c"s!
1st course scallop, wagu beef and croquette
2 nd course duck
Drinks and dessert even better

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, NY
“Not worth the money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I went to MikeA's for his birthday on February 9th. We were very excited to go since we had not been there and it seemed as though there was a lot of work put into the Lafayette. We were sorely disappointed. We made reservations at 8pm and when we arrived the hostess explained that our table was not ready and to take a seat in the lounge. We were happy to grab a drink at the bar. 40 minutes later...my husband went to check on the table and they said "oh its been ready whenever your ready..." well no one came to get us. Either way we were ready to forget about that and could not wait to eat. When the waiter came to take our order, we wanted to just order the appetizer first then order our meal. He refused, stating the policy was that we order all at once and they will properly space out the meals for us. Ok... well our Foie Gras (which was excellent) was served 2 minutes later. When we finished that plate, I'm not kidding you our steaks arrived within 30 seconds. This is what topped everything off. For a steakhouse that is supposed to be 5 star and you are supposed to be "wowed" by the experience, this is the most unprofessional thing that could have happened. We were in and out of the restaurant in a 1/2 hour! On top of that, the wait staff were not very trained and did not live up to the professionalism I expect at a good steakhouse.

Overall, the steaks were not great and the service was bush league. My filet was not a $38 filet, it was more of a $20 filet. My point is, if you want to spend the money, go to Chophouse. Their service and atmosphere is impeccable and steaks are much more worth the money.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Buffalo, New York
“Horrible Dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband I and I have been to many restaurants in Buffalo and was excited to try this steakhouse. The service was not up to par for a restaurant of this quality. When we finally ordered and received our food the cuts of steak were not up to quality. I ordered my filet medium and when I cut in to it it was raw and extremely bloody. When you are a steakhouse and a high end one this was extremely disappointing. We couldn't find out waitress and had to flag down another server. They took it back and by the time I received it back it had been 20 min and everyone else at the table was done. We were offered complimentary desserts for the table which we declined but nothing else was done. Not the type of meal we expected and we were hoping for the best with the beautiful atmosphere. Would not go back or recommend to friends if they are looking for a nice steak house.

Visited October 2012