“Locked out with no way home!” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Locked out with no way home!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The hotel wad easy enough to find. Check in was easy enough. The staff was friendly and listened....or so I thought at that moment. The rooms are huge and the funiture reminded me of being in my grandmothers bedroom. We went to dinner and the front desk was happy to call us a taxi. My wife decided to go back to the room, and when she gets there her key doesn't work. The evening front desk clerk refused to issue her a working key and told her that she would just have to wait. As my phone was dead, she had to sit and wait for two hours. Even though during check-in we both checked in at the same time and I told the lady at the desk my wifs name. I get back and find out she has been waiting and the desk ckerk didn't so much as issue a simple "sorry". Just excuse after excuse. Walking away from the front desk, feeling unsatisfied and unhappy. Yet after giving my wife a hard time about getting the key issue fixed, he resets the key for me with out so much as asking for my I.D.

Too bad really, it would have been a great stay but that pretty much broke it.

Checked out and brought the issue up to the morning manger. She was nice and listened to what I had to say. Very professional.

• Stayed March 2014
GAHotelsandResorts, General Manager at Little America Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Dannon,

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback from your recent stay at Little America Flagstaff. I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment in us, as we strive to provide an exceptional experience for all our guests. I am terribly sorry your wife was made to wait to receive a new key. We do have strict procedures in place to protect our guest’s safety when it comes to handing out keys. However, the situation with your wife could have been handled a lot better. Please know I have shared your feedback with my staff and are using it to train and improve our service so other guests do not have the same experience.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Little America Flagstaff in the near future and I would be pleased to personally oversee the details of your next stay to restore your confidence in us.

Respectfully,

Fred Reese
freese@flagstaff.littleamerica.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed three nights and were very glad to have the larger room for our group of four which included two tall teenage boys. We had a room with two queen beds and a sofa bed and so we could all stretch out after a day on the slopes. We did not eat at the hotel, so can't offer any comments on the food. The beds were pretty firm which was not great for us but the sofa bed was above average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either in the back or in Lodge 4 - these are farther from the freeway and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I needed a good quality hotel close to the Grand Canyon for our two day visit as part of a two week holiday. We looked at hotels closer to the park but many had received less than complimentary reviews on Trip Advisor and to be frank they all seemed a little tacky. Little America however was perfect.

Our room was of a high quality even though it was listed as standard. Clean, spacious, well furnished with a nice bathroom.

We made use of the hotel bar and restaurant where the staff were extremely pleasant and attentive (as were all the hotel staff) and the prices were reasonable.

Well worth a stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I may whine a little bit here, so brace yourself. This hotel doesn't deserve to be #1 on Trip Advisor for Flagstaff!
Overall, I liked the hotel, more than I thought I would. The rooms were quite large, with a full bathroom and a separate makeup area with a sink, mirror; that's good thinking if you have a wife and 2 daughters like I do. Nice move.
The furniture appears older, but a classic style (that's what they were going for), and very clean. Nice grounds too, plenty of parking and pine trees all around.
Here's the problem---I picked hotels on my trips through Flagstaff that have hot tubs; which after a 9 hour drive, I want to use for theraputic reasons (my achin' back).
So, when I went down in the morning, the gate was locked, with no sign up. I called the office, they said they'd have maintenance open the gate; then they called back to say it wasn't available because it was still heating up.
OK, I'm all for hot tub maintenance, and it looked clean. I didn't have 2 hours to wait for it to warm up. I also had picked the hotel with the specific intent to use the hot tub; and since I called down and checked out with the same lady at the desk, I belive a reduction in the rate was due, but none was offered. I wasn't going to fight about it; but it also makes me lean away from coming back if they won't treat us right.
I stayed at the Drury in on my return leg in Flagstaff. I was wanting to take the family to Flagstaff, and will shy away from this hotel (Little America) because they won't treat you right; and I dont' want to throw a fit; just take 20% off my bill if the error is yours.
If you advertise a hot tub, and it isn't working, don't just say "Sorry" and do nothing, that doesn't cut it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Washed -

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback from your recent stay at Little America Flagstaff. I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment with us. We strive to provide an exceptional experience for all our guests and we fell short during your stay. I apologize for the hot tub not being available during your stay and for the breakdown in communication between the front desk and maintenance departments. Please know we have shared your feedback with our staff and are using it to train and improve our service so other guests do not have the same experience.

I would like to speak with you personally about your experience. Please contact me personally at freese@flagstaff.littleamerica.com so we can speak in more detail about what happened and what did not happen in regards to a discount.

Respectfully,

Fred Reese
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The room decor is a very french provincial, circa 1962. But the rooms are huge, with a full size sofa plus table and chairs. This was most room we have had on our trip. We also enjoyed the Sunday brunch, excellent food and great service. The hotel is quite large, but is nestled into a pine forest with some walking trails behind it. If you are headed to, or through, Flagstaff, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GAHotelsandResorts, Public Relations Manager at Little America Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Vicky L-

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Again, thank you for your comments.
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

It is a dated structure but has been well-maintained. Staff was very friendly. Room was large, clean, and had good views out to the park-like setting around the hotel. I agree with the high ratings and encourage travelers to visit this one for a good night's rest.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The best things about our stay at Little America: Austin, the restaurant waiter whose enthusiasm for the job is rare in this day and age; furniture that was made well enough in the 70s to withstand four decades of use and still looks good; a great little gift shop with kind ladies working there; a beautifully decorated outside with Christmas lights galore on trees and bushes which delighted the kids; beautiful lobby with welcoming desk clerks; it was also very nostalgic, as I recalled traveling with my grandparents in style in the 1970s. I also felt a tad underdressed as we pulled up, but that was only because I was remembering how people used to dress while traveling years ago; we were dressed fine, so no worries there.

What missed the mark: the price -- for the price we paid, it was disappointing not to have breakfast provided; the tiles in the bathroom -- I can overlook the Brady Bunch avocado green tile, but it was cracked in several places; the tub -- way too slick for kids or older folks (anyone with feet, frankly, could take a nasty tumble); the lack of room numbers at the start of each hallway (i.e., Rooms 100-110, Rooms 111 - 121); the lack of elevators.

Room Tip: Bottom floor if you don't want to carry your luggage upstairs. Also, ask for a room closer to t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Little America Hotel Flagstaff? Share your experiences!