“Wonderful interlude” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
Arizona
“Wonderful interlude”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The rooms are large and elegantly outfitted, with doors that slide open to a wooded forest, 2 Queen beds or a King were assigned to each of our group of 24 people, traveling for a week in October. This was QUITE the nicest place we stayed. The toiletries were upscale and we had a mini-fridge (with nothing for sale inside!), ice and vending machines located in each building.
The heated outdoor pool looked inviting, as did the popular outdoor jacuzzi, but I opted for a walk on their 2 miles of trails which connect to other Flagstaff city trails.
The dining room was well-appointed and served by very friendly staff. The lunch buffet was a real deal - $13.95 buys you 2 or more entrees( herb-crusted pork roast, fried fish) and sides of roasted potatoes plus a diverse buffet of salads and desserts. The bread pudding with rum sauce was delightful.
Price here varies by occupancy level - the more people the pricier, so if you want to book a get-away for no reason, don't choose Homecoming Weekend or another local event's date.
It's across the highway from Black Barts Steakhouse and Musical Revue, enjoyed by many in our group. The restaurant in the hotel is better than all the others on our northern AZ tour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

1,318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Little America on our way to the Grand Canyon while traveling with my family: 6 adults and 2 children under 8. This is a fantastic family hotel! The rooms are fabulously decorated in bright rich primary colors and they are all different. They are very spacious and the beds are super comfy ( i didn't like the pillows but I'm picky). The hallways are bright and inviting. I shared a room with my 2 cousins and we had plenty of space. The bathroom was large, it included a small refrigerator, the towels plush and the English toiletries were a great surprise. The personnel is so pleasant and helpful. The Tree of Life restaurant is fabulous. We had the breakfast buffett and everyone was happy with their choices...and the best part is the gift shop is fabulous!!!! Great selection of every imaginable gift for your loved ones or yourself!!! I can't way to explore this chain when I visit Wyoming (in my bucket list!!!).

Room Tip: we chose rooms in the first floor since we were traveling with the children. I gave the sleep quali...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were in Arizona in October for a trip to the Grand Canyon and other attractions. We chose to stay in Flagstaff and were not disappointed. Flagstaff is a lively college town, yet is a town with something for all ages. This was our first trip to Flagstaff and we would definitely love to return. We chose Little America Hotel in Flagstaff for our weeks stay after reviewing available options and Trip Advisor reviews. We had not heard of Little America and found out they were owned by the same man that owns Sinclair Oil, Robert Holding. The hotel was next to a truck stop for Sinclair Oil, but do not let that deter you. We wondered why that was, until we did some more research and found out that little tidbit of information. He also owns a couple other hotels in Wyoming and Utah, as well as a couple of ski resorts. The grounds to this hotel are just lovely and very manicured. They are carefully chosen to blend in with the surroundings of the Flagstaff setting with tall pines and Aspens that grace the grounds. It is just beautiful. The hotel was probably built in the 1970s and from the outside has the feel of a rustic lodge. When we first pulled up and turned into the parking area, I was a little put off because we turned beside a truck stop. As I said earlier, don't let that deter you from booking here. The truck stop area is far removed from the hotel area. When we first saw the hotel, I also thought the hotel was in dire need of a new roof, but my husband informed me that the roof was wooden shakes (shingles) which added to the beauty and rustic look and feel of the hotel.

When we checked in, we were two hours early for check in, but the desk clerk was very friendly and accommodating and we were assisted to check in without any problem or questions asked. I was so thankful because we had been up since 4am and were exhausted. We did not realize the hotel did not have any elevators and were asked if the second floor would be okay. There was a porter available to assist with the luggage. We checked into our room and just loved the look and feel. It has a retro feel from the 1970's French country, but was very tastefully decorated. (My husband owns a construction business and I decorate the new homes. I am very picky when we stay places, but I thought the look was just adorable and was in heaven). The furniture was probably from the 1970's, but had been refurbished and was absolutely adorable. I have included photos of the room. The room was just spotless. The towels were large and thick fluffy white spa towels. The pillows on the bed were down and were wonderful. This is usually one of my complaints at most hotels, but these were great. The beds were a little hard, but I have fibromyalgia and am a little sensitive to harder mattresses. I think they need to upgrade to pillow top mattresses, but they were okay. My spouse did not have any complaints about the bed, but as I mentioned, because of the fibromyalgia, it was a little rough on my hips.
Somebody had written on a review of the hotel, they were disappointed with the glasses that were used in the hotel because they thought plastic would have been better? I don't' know what they were complaining about. I would rather have a real glass and real coffee cup instead of plastic and styrofoam any day.
We used the room service several times, but did not dine in the restaurant or cafe. The service was very timely and the workers were professional and friendly. ( I think they have college kids from the university working here). The food was very good with large portions. So large, you could not eat all of it. The breakfast was the only food I thought was just okay.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends. It isn't a Ritz Carlton, but it is a step up from the Holiday Inn or Hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel facing the back. The front of the hotel sits a main highway...
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel about 10 times in the past four years. It is on a huge property with a walking trail and plenty of woods for the kids to explore. The rooms are always clean and are retro but not outdated looking. One wonderful thing about this hotel is that it was built in the 70's when hotels had solid construction. As a guest, the sound between rooms is very faint. Between that and the setting, it is a very relaxing stay. In addition, the outside heated pool is a treat for the kids and the outside spa is great for the adults. We tried another brand new hotel in Flagstaff a few times but the noise was so bad, we always come back to Little America for our stay in Flagstaff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Wifey and I were traveling to Durango and decided to break up the drive by overnighting in Flagstaff. Using Trip Advisor we found that the Little America Hotel was well rated and reasonably priced so we booked it for a night. The layout is resort like with a condo like layout of two story buildings with easily accessible parking. Check-in was fast and efficient and we quickly found our room. The room was huge with a sleeping and separate sitting area. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet. Last time we stayed in Flagstaff we got too close to the railroad tracks and were awakened every hour by rumbling trains - not the case here. Only knock would be no elevator for the second floor but the hotel personnel offered to help if we needed it. Good location, comfy, quiet and good value sums it up.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms do not have elevator access.
Thornhill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

After checking the reviews I chose Little America Hotel and it proved to be an excellent decision. It was right off the highway so no problem finding it. I requested a quiet room and paid a bit more to have a room opening onto the woods. It was silent. The hotel is a sprawling place but with lots of parking near the rooms. Check in was easy and the room a really great deal. We had brought dinner with us and were thrilled to find a large glass table that we could easily eat on. The room was huge by todays standards and clean. The value was tops and I highly recommend it.

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

A large and pleasant room inc refrigerator and safe that fully met our needs. We didn't use any of the hotel facilities. Some traffic hum from the freeway but not too intrusive. No real issues, comfortable and good value. We'd probably have preferred to be in the old part of Flagstaff within walking distance of the restaurants, etc, but as a touring base for the area it's served its purpose well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Little America Hotel Flagstaff? Share your experiences!