“Very disappointing... I expected FAR more from Hampton.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10% for AAA and CAA
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Cortez, Colorado
“Very disappointing... I expected FAR more from Hampton.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stay at Hampton Inn's all over the country... and they have finally given me a "less than 100%" experience.

I have been so pleased with Hampton over the years I even got the Hilton HHonors linked credit card.

This Hampton was different... it was AWFUL!

First problem, they (along with every other Flagstaff hotel I have stayed at) SPRAYED THE ROOM WITH WAY TOO MUCH TOXIC CHEMICAL "Freshener".

Not only did they spray the room with this "freshener" that I am highly allergic to... they sprayed the bed with it... INSTEAD OF PUTTING ON A FRESH DUVET COVER.

I woke up an hour after I fell asleep with a splitting headache, swelling eyes, burning lungs, and a very long black hair that was not mine in my mouth.

I felt totally violated and very not at home.

PLUS the place was filled to the brim with children who were not very well behaved.

the next morning I tried to go to "breakfast" at the very reasonable hour of 6:30 am only to find that the whole thing had been picked clean and was not being restocked, we had to go out to eat after several tries, there were just way too many family's pushing and shoving over food.

This is the third time we have tried to stay in Flagstaff, and even the number one hotel smells like cheap caustic pineapple air "freshener".... they have banned smoking, but still allow the hotels to spray petroleum based air "cleaners" that actually dirty the air. All the hotels in Flagstaff are horrid... almost as bad as the hotels in Grand Junction, Co... ALMOST.

I won't stay in a hotel in Flagstaff again... they cater too much to people with children, and the properties are in bad shape.

Room Tip: Stay in Laughlin Nevada, just three hours away... Unless you have children... then this is the perfe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Morgan Hill, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I traveled to Flagstaff in order to attend my niece's graduation from NAU. The location was convenient. Japheth, the front desk attendant, was very helpful with check in and answered my questions. The complimentary breakfast and all day/night coffee bar was nice along with the indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. It was quiet as well which I appreciated.

All staff members we came in contact with were super friendly and genuine. Seemed like they enjoyed working there which made me feel right at home. It snowed all day Saturday, so I stayed inside - catching up on some work, enjoying he pool, and watching TV. There were a couple restaurants within walking distance.

Ken dug my car out of the snow on Sunday. Really went the extra mile to help.

Next time I'm in Flagstaff, I will most definitely stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The staff was very nice and the room was clean. I only stayed one might for business but was pleased. I stay at HHonors properties whenever possible and would stay again. Like most Hampton Inn hotels however the gym was lacking. A rack of dumbbells and some older cardio equipment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very clean comfortable room with a Jacuzzi. We enjoyed a relaxing evening in the hot tub and then a very restful nights sleep. Before checking out we sampled the complimentary breakfast.
The staff was friendly and got us into our room quickly even with several people trying to check in. The location is perfect if you are in town for any NAU event. Dining near by. Great location

Room Tip: We had the King room with Jacuzzi. Good way to get relaxed and sleep well.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

So I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons. I had been traveling across country and just needed a nice relaxing clean place to sleep. I got MOST of what I wanted, with a few surprises...

Check in was great. The staff was awesome. The lobby is "cute" - themed to Arizona, with a warm friendly fireplace. The room was fine...

... with two exceptions...

There is no office chair for the table. Most Hampton Inns have office chairs so you can plop down your laptop and do some work. Not here. Just two armchairs. Do you like browsing the net on a soft armchair? I don't. Maybe you do.

There are NO PLASTIC BAGS over the trash cans. Say what??? I asked the clerk about this. Apparently the manager thinks its not 'green' to have plastic over the garbage cans in either the sleeping area or the bathroom. You know, the bathroom where people throw who-knows-what inside of? The housekeeping staff washes them, I was told... Oh, that's a relief...! I'm sure a sprinkling of bit of water is MUCH better at protecting me from the bacteria that's swarming in those cans than a safe plastic bag. THANK YOU Manager for being GREEN over SAFE!!!!

And while I'm thanking the manager, I just want to say thank you for the hair in the bathtub drain and the mysterious strand of red hair on the shower curtain. That made my stay so much more fun...

Breakfast was nice and when I brought up my issues with the staff, they were AWESOME. Could not have been nicer or more accommodating at addressing my complaints. Things happen, I get it. No big deal.

My stay was fine overall...

....but they should reconsider putting plastic over the trash bins. Green or not, it's not fun for the guests.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for business recently and do all over the country, but these TV's are the most difficult to operate than I have ever experienced. After calling the front desk I was explained that you have to enter a series of 4 or 5 numbers to get it to work each time you change a channel. The channel up or down feature does not work. Many of the movie channels come in and then go out intermittently. This was not my first time to stay at this hotel and experienced the same problem. The first time I saw several Cable repairmen working on something with the signal so attributed my initial visit several months prior to some issue. Not so. The televisions in this hotel are absolutely ridiculous to change channels or even watch. Rooms are dated. Staff are pleasant.

Room Tip: If you plan on watching TV, don't plan on changing the channel and you may want the instruction...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived at the Hampton Inn, Flagstaff just after 11am. Check in is at 3pm. The front desk attendant was very helpful with allowing us to check in early. She was very friendly and I was impressed by her mannerisms. Honestly I wasn't expecting anything special about this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised! The room was nicer than I expected and I really appreciated the sticky note left by housekeeping informing us that the bedding was freshly laundered. Which I expect from every hotel I visit, unfortunately a few of them I questioned! The complimentary breakfast and all day/night coffee bar was nice along with the indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. It was quiet as well which we appreciated. All staff members we came in contact with were super friendly and genuine. Seemed like they enjoyed working there which made my family and I feel very comfortable. We will be staying there again as we visit Flagstaff frequently.

Room Tip: Suites are available but we were very happy with our double queen room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Flagstaff? Share your experiences!