“Average at best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Kimberling City
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Having stayed at the HI Express in Amarillo the night before, we were hoping for a similar experience in Flagstaff, but alas, it was not to be. For no known reason, I had a bad feeling before we even arrived….possibly because I didn't see any photos of the rooms when I looked at the property online. When we arrived I thought my misgivings were unwarranted. But that did not turn out to be the case. The room was "ok" - definitely showing it's age but it seemed to be clean. What was problematic was the heater - that made the room like a sauna. We kept trying to keep the cool air blowing but it kept shutting off automatically. So we were up and down all night trying to stay cool. But at least ours was quiet. The heater in the room next to us sounded like a rocket taking off every time it kicked on. Then, after a poor night's sleep, we went downstairs to "enjoy" the free breakfast. But it was packed - SRO. As unhappy as we already were, we had no burning desire to hang around so we checked out and went to a restaurant. I was waiting for the desk clerk to ask how our stay was because I was more than ready to tell her. Sadly, the question wasn't asked. So, I let her know how disappointed we were with the room and our stay - but I could have saved my breath because it was like talking to a wall. Sigh! I'm glad this is not what we normally expect from our stays at Holiday Inns!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Jackie_in_MO,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize about the issues you experienced in regards to the condition of your room. Not being able to control the temperature of your room can lead to an uncomfortable experience and a loud air conditioning unit (even if it is in a room that is nearby) can certainly cause frustration. We will be investigating both of these rooms immediately and making sure that these issues are resolved. I also want to let you know that your comments regarding the front desk staff have been passed along to the Front Desk Supervisor and that the appropriate conversations have taken place.

Beginning next month, our hotel will be undergoing a full Refresh which will include a full renovation of our lobby, breakfast area, and guestrooms. We have some very exciting changes in store for our property and we do hope that you will give us another chance next time you return to the area. With that being said, we understand the importance of maintaining our quality levels in regards to both service and upkeep before the refresh takes place and we will be working to ensure that these levels are exceeded.

If you would like to further discuss your stay with us, please contact the hotel directly at (928)714-1000 and I would be glad to speak with you personally regarding this. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

this was my first stay at this hotel. I was impressed. Clean rooms, cable tv, great amenities like an awesome continental breakfast, indoor pool and the staff exceeded my expectations daily. Lots to see and do in Flagstaff, this hotel is a great place to base yourself during your visit, close to Cracker Barrel, Walmart, and NAU. I recommend it to anyone looking for value and cleanliness for their dollar.

Room Tip: 3rd floor non smoking was quite nice, adjoining rooms available
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Daniel T, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear cwh1947,

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our hot American breakfast buffet and our heated indoor/outdoor pool. Your kind words will be passed along to our staff. Again, we thank you for taking the time the leave us a review and we hope to see you again next time you are in Flagstaff!
Maricopa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Check in Friday was a breeze, there was a large group of us staying in 3 seperate rooms and the front desk staff was very courteous and helpful in getting all of us on the same floor just a few rooms away from eachother. The lobby was nice and warm with a fire going and it had some great warm apple cider in the lobby for guests that we went back for a few times.

Once we got to our room, for 3 people it was a little snug. The bathroom was fairly spacious with quick hot water and good water pressure. The room itself had a king bed, 2 night stands, a fold our couch, coffee table, desk, and entertainment center/dresser with a fridge and microwave right next to it. Lots of stuff in a little space, and if you use the fold out bed in the couch, the little bit of space left shrinks even more. The room definitely showed some wear and age, chipping paint, slight rattle in the a/c & heating unit, i know for sure in one of our rooms that you could see daylight from around their a/c & heating unit, it came with quite a draft in the cold winter. The king bed was hard as a rock, very un-comfortable and impoosible to get a quality night's sleep on it. The pillows were useless and i needed 3 just add some sort of support to my neck. The TV has like 200 channels and unless you're reading the channel guide they leave you which isnt very easy when the lights are out, it will take you forever to find anything on TV.

The breakfast they put on in the mornings is quite nice, they continue to replenish the food on a regular basis, and they have a wonderful pancake machine that makes fresh fluffy pancakes within just a minute of pushing a simple button. Jucies and hot coffee were always available and if anything ran out it was quickly replaced without hesitation by the great breakfast staff.

We were informed from other reviews that sleeping on the side of the railroad tracks attracts lots of noise and was not liked by many patrons. We slept on the highway side of the hotel and never heard any noise at all from outside except for a very very loud car alarm at 2:30 in the morning that went off for several minutes until someone turned it off. Other than that, noise was not at all issue for us at the hotel.

Overall it was an OK stay, the group of us didnt really seem to be overly thrilled with the hotel as much as we have enjoyed other Holiday Inn Express's in the past. The service was good, the breakfast was nice, but the rooms seemed dated and need some work on the comfort and space available.

Room Tip: Sleep on the side away from the train tracks
Dear AZTraveler94,

Thank you for your feedback. While we are very glad to hear that you were so pleased with our staff, breakfast and the hot apple cider that we provide to our guests, I would like to apologize about the issues you experienced in regards to the condition of your room. Chipping paint, rattling air conditioning units and cold drafts coming in through a space in the room are unacceptable and will be addressed immediately.

I would like to take this time to let you know that beginning next month, our hotel will be undergoing a full Refresh which will include a full renovation of our lobby, breakfast area, and guestrooms. We have some very exciting changes in store for our property and we do hope that you will give us another chance next time you return to the area.

Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We made plans to stay here over Christmas. When our plans had to change a week ago, the staff at this hotel was extremely helpful and accommodating with making the changes that we desperately needed. Based on that and our experience at other HIE hotels , we are looking forward to our stay there and the chance to meet those who graciously assisted us.

Dear Frances W,

Thank you for your kind words! I have passed your message along to our Front Desk Staff and we look forward to seeing you when you do arrive here at our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and hope that we will see you soon!
Union, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend taking a vacation cris-crossing Arizona ended up staying 4 nights at the Flagstaff location which allowed us easy access to both the Canyon and Sadona. We've been in Arizona for the past 9 days going as far south as Nogales & Tombstone now heading more northward... what I would like to say is out of all the hotels that we have currently stayed in the Flagstaff staff has been superior to all the rest. They're two members there at the facility that were outstanding (Jun & Anthony), both of them showed the utmost courtesy and professionalism in assisting and helping us out in an area unfamiliar to us and consistently gave us correct and wise direction in our daily endeavors in regards to roads to or not to take during the snow storms or on good days.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mike m,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your very kind words. I have spoken with both Jun and Anthony and have shared your comments with them. We thank you again for taking the time to leave us a review and we do hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Flagstaff!
Allegany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I headed into Flagstaff after spending the day at the Grand Canyon and was looking for a decent hotel. I was surprised at how many hotels in the area look just this side of seedy. The Holiday Inn Express looked so much better than the surrounding hotels that I decided to give it a try. An important safety consideration for me is having a hotel with interior room doors, and this hotel was one of the few in the area that fit the bill. The lobby is very attractive and the staff is excellent. Anthony, in particular, was exceptionally personable and professional. My room was clean and my bed was comfortable. If I have any minor criticism, I'd say it was that the room was a bit cramped. Other than that, I was completely satisfied with my accommodations, and feel it was a good room for the price ($109).

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stairs. Twice on my trip the hotel I stayed at put me right next to the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Georgetown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We intended to stay at Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff for just one night. When we came in so tired they welcomed us with a roaring fire in the fireplace and personnel who smiled and found us a room that was clean and quiet and very nice.

On awaking we went to breakfast and found it so lovely with the fireplace.

Good food, roaring fire and friendly manager and staff what more could one ask for.

We went on that day and did some vacationing about 50 miles away at the Grand Canyon. To our surprise that night we could only find hotels that were horrible. We immediately drove back to Flagstaff to the open hospitality of the Holiday Inn Express.

We understand they are making this hotel even better with renovations this year. Wow after the renovations this hotel will be more than any traveler could ask for.

A Fantastic friendly hotel.

Thank you again for the wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff? Share your experiences!