“Base for sightseeing area parks” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Merrimack, NH
“Base for sightseeing area parks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Traveling from New Hampshire my wife and I decided to see as much as we could in the area. We aren't ready for a bus tour. We did drive 1,000 miles in 6 days. I'm a DAV driver at the Manchester, NH VA Medical Center and usually drive 200 to 500 miles a day bringing patients from homes to appointments and back home. So, a 200 mile drive in one day was just a vacation drive.
We chose Flagstaff as a base to visit 7 National Parks and Monuments. We found a great price deal online at the Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff. We trust Holiday Inns. Our room was at the end of a hallway and very quiet, clean, and comfortable. The staff was great, helped us find restaurants, provided a refrigerator for our room, and made recommendations for parks that we hadn't considered. Those parks or monuments were a pleasant addition to our vacation. The continental breakfast was the best of every hotel (100's) we've stayed in over the years. The bus tours we shared breakfast with every morning were surprisingly friendly and well rested. Previous experiences with bus tours included overtired, rushed, and grumpy passengers. The only negative was the undersized room. We had to learn how to maneuver without bumping into each other or the walls.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Murrells Inlet
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Came up from Sedona to Flagstaff early morning. Got to the Hotel about 11am. We checked in ahead of time & off to the Grand Canyon we went. Room was great,bed was better. Breakfast was very good. Staff excellent.

Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here en route to a visit to the Grand Canyon. The hotel was fine, clean and the staff very attentative. Was a litte surprised that the room was smaller than I expected. Hotel was fully booked and we had a room near the lift. Avoid at all costs, the room was noisy from about 0530 onwards as all the doors are spring loaded and most people just let them slam shut. Ask for a room well away from the lift.
Breakfast was very good, even better than expected the staff continually ensured everything was stocked up. Simming pool was good as well. Overall with the exception of the slamming doors difficult to complain and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not near the lift
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband has traveled for work many years, now he is retired, we go on a couple vacations every year. The staff at this hotel, including the housekeepers, maintenance, everyone are the most helpful, courteous, friendly that we have ever encountered. This hotel room is super-clean, comfortable & quiet, no train track noise... Just want to give this hotel & staff a SUPER HIGH 5! Free breakfast was substantial & the room was just what we reserved, no hassles. I would advise anyone going to Flagstaff to stay here!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn on a Sunday night. Upon our arrival we found out that the online booking we made came threw as smoking. YUCK!!! I didnt even know they had smoking rooms in Holiday Inns anymore. Needless to say we were upset. The manager I think her name was Katie was very carring and was able to get us into a non smoking room with two beds. It wasnt the king we had booked but it was non smoking. Katie was very nice and apologized about the mix up (even thow it was not her fault). She personaly called and made sure everything was good with our room about 30min after we checked in. The beds were a bit hard so I asked for extra blankets. They were to our room about 10 min later. The young man that delivered them was very nice as well. Like other people who have reviewed this hotel I find it out dated and lacking. The service is what made our stay a nice one. Thank you Katie!!

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights on my first visit to Chicago. When I first arrived I thought I would never find my way around the hotel as the various entrances/ exits were quite confusing. However, I quickly got acclimatised and friendly and helpful staff were always available to help. The location was first class, within walking distance of the Lake, Navy Pier, Willis Tower, shops and eating places. The room was small but adequate and the bed had a firm and very comfortable bed. There was a charge for Wiifi access in the room but it was free in the Lobby, or in Starbucks downstairs where you could enjoy a tea or coffee whilst accessing online. Only downside was there were no tea making facilities in the room. swimming pool was small but adequate as I always had it to myself, though there was no plastic bags for wet swimwear which meant dripping all the way from 7th floor to 21st floor. Concierge gave easy to follow directions to all the sites and public transport and the reception staff were very helpful when I had a problem using my Uk debit card. All in all I had a very enjoyable stay and would this hotel again if I am ever lucky enough to be back in Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The reason I book this place was because the pool picture from the Holiday Inn website. Man, was I fool, and this pool suck. The water was freezing cold, unlike other holiday inn they keep it warm most of time. The room we were in were a bit ok, but feel out dated. Great staff, well just the check in. Love the egg mix breakfast, unlike other location.

Room Tip: There is other better hotel out there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Travelbabyboy,

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased you had a pleasant experience at check in. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff? Share your experiences!