“You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
Rugby, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here en route to a visit to the Grand Canyon. The hotel was fine, clean and the staff very attentative. Was a litte surprised that the room was smaller than I expected. Hotel was fully booked and we had a room near the lift. Avoid at all costs, the room was noisy from about 0530 onwards as all the doors are spring loaded and most people just let them slam shut. Ask for a room well away from the lift.
Breakfast was very good, even better than expected the staff continually ensured everything was stocked up. Simming pool was good as well. Overall with the exception of the slamming doors difficult to complain and good value for money.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not near the lift

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Salida, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband has traveled for work many years, now he is retired, we go on a couple vacations every year. The staff at this hotel, including the housekeepers, maintenance, everyone are the most helpful, courteous, friendly that we have ever encountered. This hotel room is super-clean, comfortable & quiet, no train track noise... Just want to give this hotel & staff a SUPER HIGH 5! Free breakfast was substantial & the room was just what we reserved, no hassles. I would advise anyone going to Flagstaff to stay here!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn on a Sunday night. Upon our arrival we found out that the online booking we made came threw as smoking. YUCK!!! I didnt even know they had smoking rooms in Holiday Inns anymore. Needless to say we were upset. The manager I think her name was Katie was very carring and was able to get us into a non smoking room with two beds. It wasnt the king we had booked but it was non smoking. Katie was very nice and apologized about the mix up (even thow it was not her fault). She personaly called and made sure everything was good with our room about 30min after we checked in. The beds were a bit hard so I asked for extra blankets. They were to our room about 10 min later. The young man that delivered them was very nice as well. Like other people who have reviewed this hotel I find it out dated and lacking. The service is what made our stay a nice one. Thank you Katie!!

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed here 3 nights on my first visit to Chicago. When I first arrived I thought I would never find my way around the hotel as the various entrances/ exits were quite confusing. However, I quickly got acclimatised and friendly and helpful staff were always available to help. The location was first class, within walking distance of the Lake, Navy Pier, Willis Tower, shops and eating places. The room was small but adequate and the bed had a firm and very comfortable bed. There was a charge for Wiifi access in the room but it was free in the Lobby, or in Starbucks downstairs where you could enjoy a tea or coffee whilst accessing online. Only downside was there were no tea making facilities in the room. swimming pool was small but adequate as I always had it to myself, though there was no plastic bags for wet swimwear which meant dripping all the way from 7th floor to 21st floor. Concierge gave easy to follow directions to all the sites and public transport and the reception staff were very helpful when I had a problem using my Uk debit card. All in all I had a very enjoyable stay and would this hotel again if I am ever lucky enough to be back in Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The reason I book this place was because the pool picture from the Holiday Inn website. Man, was I fool, and this pool suck. The water was freezing cold, unlike other holiday inn they keep it warm most of time. The room we were in were a bit ok, but feel out dated. Great staff, well just the check in. Love the egg mix breakfast, unlike other location.

Room Tip: There is other better hotel out there.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Travelbabyboy,

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased you had a pleasant experience at check in. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Decided to escape the Phoenix heat and head to Flagstaff for the weekend, and found the local Holiday Inn Express, which at times can be hit or miss. This one was, well, alright.

Checking was painless and the staff was quite friendly. Plus they had cookies out, so I am easy to win over. The room was clean and well made when we got there. About the size and the amenities one would expect from a HIE, including the tiny fridge and the tiny couch in the Single King standard room.

The hotel is in a somewhat commercial and industrial area with I-40 on one side and the train tracks on the other. We had a freeway facing room and I found there to be very little road noise. On the train facing side, the trains are frequent, but don't blow their horn through town either, though I I don't know how loud the rest of the train noise gets.

The real downside was the bed, which is probably the most important aspect of any hotel. There was still the firm and soft pillows on the bed, but they seemed really old and lumpy. It took a lot of folding and bunching just to make them comfortable. The mattress its self felt like it was plastic. It was pretty hard (not firm, but hard) and its self kind of lumpy as well. It reminded me of a king size version of my college dorm mattress, which is not a good thing. Needless to say, it wasn't the best night's sleep. Oh, I've stayed on plenty worse mattresses at other hotels, but this was not the quality sleep I've come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand.

The breakfast was standard Holiday In Express fare, if you been to one before, you will know exactly what to expect.

Room Tip: Odd Number rooms are the south side, I-40 facing. Even number rooms are north side, train facing...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Andrew B,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and amenities.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the bed. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Flagstaff, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Expresses and generally have been pleased with them. While I would not say this place was awful, it needs some TLC. The building, in my humble opinion,is ugly. Parts of the public areas are dingy and worn looking, with dirty carpets. While I was not in the mood to complain, when I entered the room, the TV was on, a cushion was askew, and there was no coffee. Now I do not want to be too critical of guest room attendants, because I do appreciate the hard job they do, but the room really wasn't presented too well. The floor lamp was sitting unplugged in a spot across the room from the chair where I needed it for reading, so I was rearranging furniture. Get the picture?
On the positives, the front desk folks were very nice and assisted me sending a fax.
This is one of the more negative reviews I've written. I had just come from the Kimpton Firesky in Scottsdale, which is a horse of a different color. Maybe that has something to do with my letdown! As another reviewer indicated, it is overpriced for what one gets. I don't mind staying in older, seen better days motels sometimes if the rate is right. But, for $129, this customer was not too thrilled. Anyway, I am now buying a home in Flagstaff, so it looks like that was my last hotel night here!

Room Tip: There are better places to stay in Flagstaff.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff? Share your experiences!