“Historic hotel with real charm for a short stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Weatherford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Weatherford Hotel
You added Weatherford Hotel to your Saves list
23 N. Leroux, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Historic hotel with real charm for a short stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Weatherford (est'd 1892) for one night on our road trip of June 2014. We had been to the Meteor Crater, and en-route to the Grand Canyon. This hotel was in the perfect spot, and was recommended to us by good friends.

We booked several months in advance, and all it took was an email. The hotel did not want even a credit card number to hold the room - I loved that level of trust.

We had been advised to select one of the premium rooms (there are three), and we chose number 42. This is a great room, and we recommend it to you. The only extra we would have liked is a shower curtain around the four-legged bath. Water was everywhere as we tried to shower.

The hotel is easy to find, and there is parking (free) round the back. There were some extension works going on while we were there, and the builders compound and fences blocked a little of the parking areas. We were fortunate the find the lady owner (who introduced herself as 'Sam') supervising the works and she guided us to a parking spot.

Check in was easy, and we were given coupons for 2-for-1 appetizers and 2-for-1 breakfasts.

If you are looking for a squeeky-new Marriott, don't stay here. This is a historic property, and has been / is being refurbished sympathetically in keeping. We had an iron bed, and a period stove in our room - we though these were really charming. As I mentioned, the bathroom has a free-standing iron bath.

We had dinner on the surround-balcony, and watched the sun set. Food was simple, but reasonably priced and tasty. The bar serves a variety of real ales. The town has a number of breweries, and we went for a walk later to sample them - highly recommended.

There was some noise in the morning as the builders were getting back to work, but we were up by that time. Breakfast was nice, and we used our coupon.

If my review has helped you, I'd appreciate your "Helpful" vote - have a great trip!

Room Tip: Definitely go for room 42 by booking in advance.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We love historic hotels in the West and have stayed at many in the Southwest and Four Corners areas. Having lived in Flagstaff for a few months in 2012, I thought staying at the Weatherford (or it's counterpart, Monte Vista), would be a nice stay. I had seen the common rooms—the very popular Charly's Restaurant and the packed and popular bars at The Weatherford. Well, popular bars do NOT equal nice rooms in this hotel. We were beyond disappointed — the Weatherford is simply an awful place to stay. (Maybe revelers in the bars not staying an entire night find it convenient to carry on their partying. For real travelers — do NOT stay here.)

Let's start with what the hotel doesn't have that are simply expected, normal parts of any hotel today:

No air conditioning. And it was very hot the weekend of June 6-8.

No WiFi.

No screens on the ancient windows.

No ceiling fans.

No coffee pot, and no coffee anywhere early in the morning.

And get this: No access to RE-ENTER the hotel if you go out in the early morning (6-7 a.m.) to look for coffee — which is an exercise in futility in downtown Flagstaff.

The so-called registration desk is a tiny cubicle where the staff hand-write the registration—nothing computerized. Quaint? No. Annoyingly slow.

We had been told our room would be away from the bar, and quiet. Ha ha ha ha ha!! There is no quiet place at The Weatherford, with bars on the first AND second floor. The second floor bar was mere steps from our room, and the partiers were wandering all over the hallways, often congregating right outside our room door. This, of course, went on until 2:00 a.m.

The room itself, the most expensive available (so we thought it would be nice) when we booked two weeks in advance, was the most appalling room I've seen in our constant travels. Paint peeling off the walls, an ancient iron bed with paint peeled off the rails on the headboard, an ancient mattress with no support — little furniture and a bathroom so tiny you could hurt yourself trying to turn around. The shower is over a half-tub. Why? No space to put anything in the bathroom as you unpack. One uncomfortable, stiff, kitchen type chair. Clearly no one is expected to relax or spend any time in the room. And the aforementioned window — which looked out over the roof—was an ancient window.

Historic should be restored—maintained, kept nice and updated with basics like: AIR CONDITIONING! And no fan to compensate? Are we kidding?

The tiny closet came with ONE clothes hanger. Thanks, Weatherford.

We require coffee in the morning. The front desk gave us breakfast vouchers but no indication WHEN breakfast was served. It wasn't served before 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning, we can tell you that. We are early risers with things to do, places to go. So we left the hotel in search of a coffee shop. Nothing. Nada. Downtown Flagstaff, crawling with drinkers the night before, had not a single coffee shop open in the early morning. Streets were deserted. Most of the cafes boast Wine & Espresso. Clearly they don't expect people to actually want the espresso before noon.

Then to add insult to inhospitality injury in Flag—the hotel is locked tight as a drum and there was no access to re-enter the hotel after going out! No one at the front desk!!!! My partner had to stand outside until some cleaning staff arrived at 7:30 to be let back into the the hotel!!!!! What kind of hotel prevents guests from coming and going? What is the curfew for getting in at night, and when on earth does the staff arrive????

We will never stay at The Weatherford again. Absolutely terrible. We asked our local friends about the Monte Vista and we were told the rooms were no better. What's up, Flagstaff? Our friends said, "No, The Weatherford isn't known for its rooms." No kidding.

For hard-partying folks looking to crash, maybe it's tolerable. For grown-ups, travelers, and people expecting hospitality—forget it.

If you want historic and nice — go to Durango, El Paso, or other places who "get it."

If you want to stay near the Grand Canyon, head on into the very hospitable Williams, AZ.

If you must stay in Flagstaff—you'll be better off with one of the many chain hotels and motels than line Route 66 on the way in. Stay away from downtown as far as accommodations go.

The Weatherford is a simply put—a dump. Forget historic.

Room Tip: The tip is: don't stay here. Go out to Route 66 and find a trustworthy chain hotel or motel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I would definitely not stay at this hotel again. While the staff was very friendly (that's when you could track one down to man the 'front desk'), the hotel is overpriced. The bed was very old and the pillows ancient. The room did not have an alarm clock, tv, wi-fi, iron or any other basics that are found in the most basic of rooms these days. While the staff did inform me both when I made the reservation and again before checking in of the noise due to the bars (thanks!), I would not stay there unless you are planning on partying yourself. However, most importantly as a single female traveler, I had safety concerns. There is a very old lock on the door. With late night revelers able to roam the halls due to no separation between bars and rooms, I did not feel the safest. Also I did not leave anything of any value in the room when I went out which caused inconvenience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Oakland, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

While much of the hotel is historic, there have been attempt to modernize the rooms, so that the beds are quite comfortable and the tub/shower is at least useful. The food at Charley's (the hotel bar etc) was excellent, and I went to bed before the noise commenced. The hotel staff warn about the noise, but despite the fact that I was there on a Saturday night, I did not find it awful.

Room Tip: I needed a private bath and I'd recommend that you ask before you commit to a room!
Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked this hotel being it was close to the train station. I had to catch an Amtrak train at 4am in the morning. This hotel was walking distance to the train station and made it very convienent. The food and drinks were great. The bartender got me turned onto pineapple vodka and sprite. Super yummy!! Check in was pleasant. The only downfall was the room. It was clean but very tiny. I don't even think a midget would have been comfortable. Though for just a 5 hour place of rest it was fine. Then again it is a historic hotel and people back in the 1800's were smaller.

Room Tip: If you are claustraphobic look elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed 1 night and yes heard the bars closing at 2am. Nothing I haven't had happen at several other downtown hotels in several other cities. The staff, everyone we experienced was young, very pleasant and helpful. I would for sure return and you should too if you want an experience in a turn of the century building in the center of the old town. If you don't want street noise, snapping heat pipes or creaking floors stay at a Holiday Inn etc. but you will be missing something special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review around 1 am because I can't sleep. If you're reading it at 1 am, it's because you find yourself in the same predicament.

Don't book a rom at the Weatherford on a Friday or Saturday night if you want to sleep.

Unfortunately, this beautiful historic hotel has become part of the "pub crawl" that has infested downtown Flagstaff. I had the misfortune of staying here on a Friday and found this out for myself. Starting around 8 this evening -- and apparently it won't end until 2 am -- the two hotel bars have turned my plans for a restful night inside out. Loud music, yelling, and hallway havoc as the college age kids take their business into the hotel itself have ruined my stay. It's the typical hooting, fist pumping, heavy-bass music and alcohol fueled stupidity. I'm in a frat house, not a hotel.

I complained, and the helpful woman at the front desk offered a refund and called other hotels for a room for me. It's apparently a bit of a routine. All were booked or more expensive. So here I sit, half tempted to go sleep in my car.

I feel so naive thinking I might actually SLEEP at this hotel. I guess there's more money in serving alcohol than in providing the promised service to paying hotel guests.

Strongly recommend that travelers not stay here on Friday or Saturday.

Stayed November 2013

Been to Weatherford Hotel? Share your experiences!