“No night stay here but only a drink in the bar” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Weatherford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Weatherford Hotel
Save Saved
You added Weatherford Hotel to your Saves list
23 N. Leroux, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Mesa, Arizona
“No night stay here but only a drink in the bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have seen the Weatherford for years while traveling into Flagstaff and have not had any need to stay here and after reading the latest reviews I would say head to the Super 8 for $50 a night and check out the clean rooms there before putting your head on any pillow. Besides that we only wanted a drink at the historic bar. We were told there was the bar upstairs and one downstairs. No one who greeted us was enthusiastic about either location. We chose the downstairs bar, unimpressive but still quaint with youth at the bar laughing and having a good old time. That's where we wanted to be rather than stuffy upstairs. The bar keep was Chelsea and what a great gal she was, very accomodating helping me decide what kind of ladies drink I should indulge in. I decided on the Peach Tini, and well now I have bought the peach vodka and peach schnapps and have made my own since they are delicious, she was right I did like it. Hubby had his usual gin and tonic. But the best part was that Chelsea was up all the locations of where to go for happy hour, where to eat and what to see. We took her advice and went to Pato for Thai food, more to come on that in Tripadvisor, a real hit for us. I learned some new drinks and now I actually know what IPA beer is and what it means, not that I am going to use it anytime soon. We look forward to trying Los Altos and Criollo's and Mama Luisa that Chelsea recommended. If nothing else go to the bar downstairs and meet up with Chelsea and get the scoop on what to do while you are in town, she's knowledgeable for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I've visited Flag at least 10 times and had yet to stay at the Weatherford. I've stayed at Monte Vista and other chain hotels outside the downtown area. For whatever reason I had assumed that the Weatherford was the nicer and tamer of the non-chain hotels in the downtown area.

My wife and I stayed just 1 night last weekend. When making the reservation, I mentioned to the woman on the phone that we would we arriving a bit late, about 6:00pm, because we were day-tripping up from Phoenix through Cottonwood (wine tastings) for my wife's birthday.

When we arrived, there was a holiday parade. The main road (Aspen Ave) was closed, which made it a pain in the butt to find a parking spot in an already minimal parking situation. The woman on the phone didn't mention the holiday parade to offer assistance with parking.

The real issue is that when we checked in, the staff mentioned that there would be a holiday party that night on the third floor in the Zane Ballroom just down the hall from us. We didn't baulk when we checked-in around 6:00 because we were tired and I didn't want to try and figure out an alternative, especially with the traffic, parade, etc. When we walked up to the third floor, we saw the party had a DJ. We went to an amazing dinner at Tinderbox and returned around 10:00pm. The music shook our tiny room until 11:15pm and the party continued (sans DJ music) until at least 2:00 am with party-goers slamming doors, yelling, romping though the hall. We got sporadic, thin sleep.

In the morning, we didn't want to deal with our non-sleep issue and ruin the end of our weekend. A day later I ended up emailing Sam Green (email on website) expressing my dissatisfaction and disappointment with the lack of candor when booking the room. That was 7 days ago and there was no response, so I decided to write my reviews.

The $100 room was tiny and dirty. The cover on the bed was filthy and the floors dirty/stained. A small room is to be expected older hotels but tiny was not okay for $100/night. The full-size bed was springy as I would call it and rather uncomfortable. The bathroom required a maneuvering dance around the door in order to get in and use the toilet or shower. And I'm a slim guy. The shower was silly too. I'm 6'2" and the shower head was at my sternum (maybe 4'10").

I’m all for supporting independent operators but not at the expense of value or my comfort. Kitsch and novelty can only take consumers so far. When a clean, comfortable, nice and service-oriented accommodation can be found a $5 cab ride down the road for the same (often cheaper) price, then the Weatherford and Monte Vista need to get their act together.

It’s such a shame that the dark-sky city now has quiet trains (no more obnoxious loud horns). The city has even more charm now, but the hotels downtown can’t piece together a decent hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Didn't stay here but enjoyed a good meal and very good locally brewed IPA. The staff were helpful and attentive without being distracting. The hotel is in the centre of Flagstaff in what looked to be a student area (nothing wrong with that) with lots of small bars, restaurants and shops. The hotel itself is an historic building and is worth a wander around (along with a pint of IPA) in itself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The historic district is the core of tourism in Flagstaff Arizona. Our impression as we walked the streets was that it is more of a night life destination then a daytime area. Bars and college students are in abundance. Nice shops and a few restaurants were sprinkled amongst the funky and deferred maintenance. The local curator at the visit-worthy Pioneer Museum out of town mentioned that we should visit the historic Weatherford Hotel. So we headed to the hotel and walked into the lobby. Like many historic venues the Weatherford has suffered from deserved upkeep, but the staff was friendly, the bar lively and the restaurant populated. What we found to be the best of the Weatherford was the upper balcony where we enjoyed quiet views up and down the old western streets. Here you can feel the old west. Be sure to study the old pictures and paintings throughout the stairwells, floors and in the restaurant. These are the gold you'll find at The Weatherford.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa barbara, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I chose the Weatherford because I like historic venues and it was located close to the Amtrak station; also because it was a Tuesday night and there's no live music in the hotel's bars that night (see other reviews that mention noise). I paid $99 for a standard room, although I gather they have refurbished rooms for $139 or thereabouts. I checked in late and, frankly, if I'd had a car, I would've left and found somewhere else to stay. Initially, I was taken aback by the state of the room: The paint had bubbled and cracked on the outside wall and ceiling, apparently from leaks; the baseboard and window ledges were badly torn up and missing paint.The metal bed frame was also banged up, although the bedding was clean and the bed pretty comfortable. There was no bedside table or lamp and when I went to move a small table and dresser lamp to the bedside, two of the table's legs turned out to be extremely loose and unsteady. I didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot on the carpet, which was dark red and didn't seem too bad until I looked closely. The bathroom had a badly chipped porcelain sink, a shower head that reached my collarbone (I'm 5'9" tall), and the shortest tub I've ever seen (great for gradeschoolers!). That said, the bathrooom was very clean, the towels were nice, and the water pressure and temperature good. Overall though, the room was pretty depressing. Next morning, in daylight, the rest of the hotel above the ground floor looked just as shabby - not charming - but plain old shabby with chunks of plaster knocked off corners and paint chipped or scraped. It's a popular place with students, what with two bars and two live music areas, and it seems the owners are happy to let it look like a fraternity house rather than a hotel, which is a real shame. More imporantly, I did not see a smoke detector or sprinkler in my room and no map giving evacuation information in the event of fire - perhaps that's not required in Arizona, but it certainly gave me pause given the age of the hotel. On the plus side, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the kid who carried my bags up the three flights of stairs (no elevator!) was a sweetie, but I wouldn't stay there again, even if they dropped the price to $59 a night, which is really all the room was worth.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you register and have a back-up plan.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

for real historic hotel in downtown flagstaff. you can park your car and walk to everything.

11 spotless rooms with no tv or phones. also have couple of rooms with shared bath for the budget concious.

charly's is fun for entertainment but for those who want something quieter they have a bar and lounge on second floor with access to the balcony to observe the street scenes.

my favorite in flagstaff.

Room Tip: interior rooms quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is not for everyone. It is really an old building (not modern made rustic). It has a lot of character, nice bar and breakfast room, and it has the best location. Downsides: no views from the most expensive rooms, a little bit pricey, old style bath tub with no shower curtain.

Europeans be warned: thick wall to wall carpeting in the hotel room and in the lobby areas!!! No hard floors here!!! Noise blowing in the morning for sure.

I was a little bit afraid that the music played during the blues nite would be a problem but it was not heard in the room.

To put it short: as you can see from older reviews some like this but it is not for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Weatherford Hotel? Share your experiences!