“Historic is one thing; shabby is another” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Weatherford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Weatherford Hotel
Save Saved
You added Weatherford Hotel to your Saves list
23 N. Leroux, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Santa barbara, CA
“Historic is one thing; shabby is another”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I chose the Weatherford because I like historic venues and it was located close to the Amtrak station; also because it was a Tuesday night and there's no live music in the hotel's bars that night (see other reviews that mention noise). I paid $99 for a standard room, although I gather they have refurbished rooms for $139 or thereabouts. I checked in late and, frankly, if I'd had a car, I would've left and found somewhere else to stay. Initially, I was taken aback by the state of the room: The paint had bubbled and cracked on the outside wall and ceiling, apparently from leaks; the baseboard and window ledges were badly torn up and missing paint.The metal bed frame was also banged up, although the bedding was clean and the bed pretty comfortable. There was no bedside table or lamp and when I went to move a small table and dresser lamp to the bedside, two of the table's legs turned out to be extremely loose and unsteady. I didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot on the carpet, which was dark red and didn't seem too bad until I looked closely. The bathroom had a badly chipped porcelain sink, a shower head that reached my collarbone (I'm 5'9" tall), and the shortest tub I've ever seen (great for gradeschoolers!). That said, the bathrooom was very clean, the towels were nice, and the water pressure and temperature good. Overall though, the room was pretty depressing. Next morning, in daylight, the rest of the hotel above the ground floor looked just as shabby - not charming - but plain old shabby with chunks of plaster knocked off corners and paint chipped or scraped. It's a popular place with students, what with two bars and two live music areas, and it seems the owners are happy to let it look like a fraternity house rather than a hotel, which is a real shame. More imporantly, I did not see a smoke detector or sprinkler in my room and no map giving evacuation information in the event of fire - perhaps that's not required in Arizona, but it certainly gave me pause given the age of the hotel. On the plus side, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the kid who carried my bags up the three flights of stairs (no elevator!) was a sweetie, but I wouldn't stay there again, even if they dropped the price to $59 a night, which is really all the room was worth.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms before you register and have a back-up plan.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

for real historic hotel in downtown flagstaff. you can park your car and walk to everything.

11 spotless rooms with no tv or phones. also have couple of rooms with shared bath for the budget concious.

charly's is fun for entertainment but for those who want something quieter they have a bar and lounge on second floor with access to the balcony to observe the street scenes.

my favorite in flagstaff.

Room Tip: interior rooms quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is not for everyone. It is really an old building (not modern made rustic). It has a lot of character, nice bar and breakfast room, and it has the best location. Downsides: no views from the most expensive rooms, a little bit pricey, old style bath tub with no shower curtain.

Europeans be warned: thick wall to wall carpeting in the hotel room and in the lobby areas!!! No hard floors here!!! Noise blowing in the morning for sure.

I was a little bit afraid that the music played during the blues nite would be a problem but it was not heard in the room.

To put it short: as you can see from older reviews some like this but it is not for everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights during the 2012 Pickin' in the Pines Bluegrass Festival. I attended NAU in the 70's so am no stranger to Flagstaff. The Weatherford is not for everybody. It's old, refurbished, yet still a little funky. The staff is wonderful, very personable and friendly. While the rooms are small they are very clean, no A/C, but hey, I was there in September and Flagastaff sits at 6900 feet in the DRY Arizona air, so no biggie, summertime might be a little uncomfortable. There was a fan that fit perfectly in the old style lift-up window. Once raised, it provided ample ventilation. Some reviews complain about the noise from the bar but it never bothered me. I am a chronic overpacker" so getting my duffle bag up theree flights of stiars to my room (no elevator) could "have killed me at 59, but Jesse at the front desk had it up there pronto. Again, outstanding service. And,, as they say, Location, Location, Location. You can walk anywhere and drink as much as you want, without having to worry about driving (Flagstaff cops are DUI mongrels). So, no worries there!

Things that need improved:

NO WiFi: I could not use my iPad at all. This is a shame since they have such nice sitting areas. The staff will tell you that ther are WiFi sites available, but not really, they do not permeate inside the hotel walls. I would have gladly paid for an exclusive WiFi signal in my room and throughout the hotel. Come on man, it's 2012!

MORNING COFFEE: There are only 11 rooms and there is complimentary coffe for paying guests, BUT, you need to walk down 3 flights of stairs, go into Charly's Restaurant, try to find a waiter and ask for a cup, sort of feeling like a moocher. After all that, they bring you a nice cup of Joe, but no spoon, you have to hover over a table while you add cream, sugar, etc. then walk back up 3 flights to your room. SOLUTION: Spend the money and have a Guest Coffee Station on your wonderful 2nd floor lobby sitting area so guests may come and go as they please, in their jammies, to get some coffee.

PARKING: There are only about 6 spaces behind the hotel accomodating 11 rooms so this is a problem on the weekends when the 2 bars are featuring live music and locals mooch on the Guest Only parking spaces. I drove around for quite a while on a Saturday night after returning from the festival trying to find a street parking space. Not cool.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

So we stayed here one night during a weekend trip and this place is awesome!! The history in this building alone is enough to make a non-history nerd excited. Luckily I am a history nerd and was excited at every turn. It reminds me of the Stanley Hotel, but smaller and happier.
All of the staff I met was amazing, but Shelly, the upstairs bartender, was fantastic!! She helped out with everything we needed, suggested cool places, and served us drinks!
The hotel isn't a quiet place on a weekend, so if you are looking for a nice and intimate time, this may not be it...but if want a place with life, fun and a story this is your place!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Denton, TX USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hotel is beautifully restored and has such wonderful atmosphere. If you think the place is pretty during the majority of the year, wait until they decorate for Christmas. The staff is also really friendly and helpful.

You need to be prepared for your stay here. In an effort to keep the place as historically based as possible, the rooms don't have televisions or phones, and some of the rooms share a bathroom down the hall with a shower, toilet, and sink. Our room had a sink and I believe a water pitcher and bowl, and the two authentic wrought-iron beds were essentially full-sized. However, if you're looking to stay in a place that isn't mainstream, this is a great historical place to go, as I said- if you're prepared for what you'll get. We actually enjoyed our night there, but what's keeping me from rating this hotel above average is the amount of light that shone into our room windows (the little ones above the door) from the hallway. They made the room fairly bright and it was difficult to sleep due to that.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

I don't mind a room that smells so long as I can fall asleep. I don't mind not having a coffee maker nor a TV so long as I can fall asleep. I don't even mind the creaky mattress that takes me a little extra time to pass out on so long as I can get to the passed out point.

Its 1 in the morning as I write this and the loud music and the party down the hall shows no signs of abating. Usually loud means ambient noise or that the tenants are being rude but there's literally one of those pseudo ravish college dance floors going on less than 30 feet down the hall. And that this is an old building that's not really designed for noise isolation doesn't help.

I get that this is a great venue but 'loud' with no qualifications is dishonest at best. If you want the college experience of trying to sleep while your roommates are throwing a party, then this is that and more (except everything they play is exclusively Top 40, like the TGI Fridays variety).

Everything else is really nice though but this is a huge minus by my measure.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Weatherford Hotel? Share your experiences!