“Less a hotel than a popular bar in a college town” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Weatherford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Weatherford Hotel
Save Saved
You added Weatherford Hotel to your Saves list
23 N. Leroux, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #26 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
“Less a hotel than a popular bar in a college town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

I don't mind a room that smells so long as I can fall asleep. I don't mind not having a coffee maker nor a TV so long as I can fall asleep. I don't even mind the creaky mattress that takes me a little extra time to pass out on so long as I can get to the passed out point.

Its 1 in the morning as I write this and the loud music and the party down the hall shows no signs of abating. Usually loud means ambient noise or that the tenants are being rude but there's literally one of those pseudo ravish college dance floors going on less than 30 feet down the hall. And that this is an old building that's not really designed for noise isolation doesn't help.

I get that this is a great venue but 'loud' with no qualifications is dishonest at best. If you want the college experience of trying to sleep while your roommates are throwing a party, then this is that and more (except everything they play is exclusively Top 40, like the TGI Fridays variety).

Everything else is really nice though but this is a huge minus by my measure.

• Stayed July 2012

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here after visiting the Meteor Impact site and having come from the Grand Canyon. The hotel is located in the middle of the historic downtown, We loved the live blues band who played in the bar and the colonial style balcony over looking the streets. Staff were friendly and helpful. We did not need AC in the room. In fact we liked the un-reconstructed charm of the hotel, and the convenience of being able to enjoy a few drinks and listen to the band without having to drive back to our accommodation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

First let's deal with the noise issue. Many of the older reviews mention train whistles. This is no longer an issue (a law was passed in 2010 prohibiting trains passing through Flagstaff from using their whistles). So you're not going to hear any trains (even though the Amtrak station is just down the street).

On the other hand, there are 2 bars in the hotel that feature live music. This you are going to hear (at night), no matter which room you're in. The type of music and how late the band plays depends on the night. I stayed on a Monday night and a blues band played in the main floor bar until midnight. I also stayed on a Thursday night and a jazz band played on the 3rd floor bar until 9pm (the latter was rather pleasant in fact, and I'm not even into jazz).

To be fair, when you reserve a room the staff almost try to talk you out of staying because of the live music, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone (and wasn't to me).

Live music aside, I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful (even offering me the use of their cell phone to make a local call) and the location can't be beat. Right downtown within easy walking distance of the Amtrak station.

As previously mentioned I stayed on 2 separate nights (a Mon and a Thu), both times in room #57. This is one of the rooms that shares a shower/bathroom. Both are right across the hall and if anyone else was using them during my stay(s) I was none the wiser. Everything was clean and well maintained. The room was more than adequate for my needs (I was travelling solo) and well stocked (towels, soap, shampoo, plastic cups, ice bucket).

Two minor complaints: You can't tell if the shared bathroom is in use so I took to knocking gently on the door before using my key. Also, the stopper for the sink in my room was missing. I asked the staff if they had a spare and surprisingly one could not be located (a minor nuisance really).

Also had breakfast at the hotel one of the mornings and it was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask how late the live music lasts for the nights you are staying. Unless you are a very heavy sleepe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Berrien Springs, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was just about the greatest entertainment, friendly people, and fantastic 1 nighter of my life. Not the 1 nighter in the classical guy-gal sense, but rather the most enjoyable 1 nighter hotel stay of my life. And my gal agrees! We danced all night long, enjoyed one of the best blues bands we have ever seen (and we have seen some good ones), met everyone in the band, and most of the other folks there. Special kudo to SAM, what a great musician, class act, and really good guy. The little room, #54, was too special to try to describe, but it was on 3rd floor, just off the bar and balcony, had a little window out to the balcony, was just as lovely, cute, special and romantic, as all get-out. In the morning I wandered over to 'Animas' and bought some lovely clothes for/with, my special lady. We had breakfast, wherein the talented and lovely Miss Brittany served us, and convinced us to go down to Sedona. I always have LOT OF WORDS, BUT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE TRULY UNIQUE, BEAUTIFUL LITTLE HOTEL. I can't get to Flagstaff too often (and I also loved this town), but ANYTIME I GET CLOSE, I WILL ~ WEATHERFORD. Larry & Josie from MI.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Having gone to NAU, but not having a reason to stay there, I was excited to book a room at the hotel on a recent trip to Flag. I spent many-a-night enjoying Zane Grey's cocktails on the hotel's balcony, and rocking out to local bands in Charlys bar on the hotel's first floor. So, I could attest to how fun this hotel could be on the right night. But, we were there while NAU was on spring break, so Zane Grey was closed and Charlys was silent. :( My husband has shared the story of running into a ghost hunter on the second floor several times since our trip-she was definitely excited about the trip to their "haunted basement." So, that was one great memory that came out of it. But, I am fairly certain we were the only customers on that night (rather, the only sane ones). And, I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed with the hotel, after all these years. Having traveled a bunch and stayed in lots of similar types of hotels, I felt like $98 for the room was a bit steep, considering the full sized bed was pretty uncomfortable and my husband had to squat to get under the shower head. Not an awful place to stay by any means (esp compared to said travel experiences), but feel like they could knock $30 or so off the price.

Room Tip: Depending on the night of the week, you may want to ask to be further away from Zane Grey.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We didn't want to stay in touristy Sedona after our Grand Canyon visit, so we settled on Flagstaff and this hotel. We were warned of trains, bars, noise, no tv or phones, haunted history, old creaky rooms and the cold despite the noisy heaters that crank off at the witching hour. Sounded fun! We got two rooms (51 and 52) at the end of the hall on floor 3. No elevator. The last room had a bathroom across the hall that was rather spacious. Our room had a bath in it, but I think it was built for midgets. My husband is 6'2" and I am 5'6". The shower head was aimed at my chest. (see the pic).

The bed was small- full size, but comfy. I brought an extra blanket because of the warnings. The train wasn't that close so we didn't hear it overnight, despite additional warnings on that noise. We brought an iPad and watched "The Others" with the kids so we could capture the ghost haunting history spirit. That was fun. The clerk that checked us in for the night told us about the murder years ago and the honeymoon couple that fled and how they no longer use that room for guests, but its used for liquor storage now.

They didn't have anything going on in the ball room and the second floor bar was closed, so we didn't hear any noise from those areas either. Granted, the creaky floors went off all night and I wasn't sure if that was the kids going across the hall to their bathroom, or the night watchman checking out our floor.

The room was small, simple with a rocking chair (that did not rock on his own- darn!) and an antique looking dresser with a mirror that reminded me of my childhood - late 1960's. The closet was an after thought as you could only hang two items and they had to be hung facing you, not facing left/right like a normal closet.

I really liked this place, probably because I was forwarned of all the noise/problems. But we had a great night. The coffee was free in the morning in the cafe on first floor and the breakfast was about $8-12 and all included meat, dairy and cheese type options. No vegan options except for fruit at $5.

Know what to expect and you'll have a great time too.

Room Tip: Know what the noise and problem issues are- expect them and you'll have a great time.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed in one of the rooms with shared bathrooms, using Flagstaff as a base to go and explore the Grand Canyon. The room was basic but clean, pretty much what you expect from a historic hotel that in no way holds itself out as a luxury place. The two bars are great and the staff incredibly friendly and helpful, sitting out on the balcony and watching the world go by was quite cool. The only issue is that it can be a bit noisy at night, didn't really affect us though.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Weatherford Hotel? Share your experiences!