“Hotel Hell” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Pacific
“Hotel Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

We went to the so called breakfast after a night in a room that looked like something out of the Bates Motel. There was food all over the place waffle batter and dirty cups were scattered about the room. When I went to complain to the front desk she told me "its not their job to clean they were not a restaurant" After realizing this woman had a major chip on her shoulder I went to the room to clean up and have breakfast else where. The shower did not work, the blow dryer was faulty and I had it - So I went to ask for a modest refund of 18.00 price of the breakfast - the HoJO with no breakfast was charging 50.00 for a room without breakfast. The woman snarled at me and said " Oh you were the one who was drinking waffle batter" - yikes (crazy lady) and yelled at me to leave. I put the keys on the desk and she promptly threw them back at me. She then picked up a stapler and threatened to throw it at me. I left and called the police and in the red neck town of Flagstaff the police said he was not there to break up "cat fights". WOW! I spoke to the manager, Clarion and no one seemed to care there was a crazy woman at the desk wilding staplers.
Need less to say - I will never go to a Clarion hotel or Flagstaff again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything especially the crazy staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

The hotel was in a well situated location with nearby hotels, highways and restaurants making it easy to access. However, the quality of the hotel was very poor. The rooms were small, the bathroom tiny, the tv modest and the bed aged as if it had been there for some time. Additionally, we asked the cleaning staff to clean our room an hour after they knocked at 9am and they never returned which prompted us when we arrived from a full day of activities to complain and ask for the room to be cleaned. Our response from the night staff was that they had no cleaning staff at 10pm and that they had no rooms available to accommodate us. Our response was very clear, stern and unaccepting which prompted a reply that they would move us to an adjacent room. The lack of accommodation after such a case and the manner in which night staff treated their guests, led me to believe that this hotel does not support it staff and they in turn do not care for their clients. In the end, we did obtain a change of room but to audaciously lie about not having rooms on a Sunday night when the hotel was empty was wrong and moreover left me with a bad taste. The mornings were interesting because they confirmed full continental breakfast before 10:30am but if you arrived after 9:30am they had already put away most of the food.

I would say that although this was not the worst hotel I have stayed at, it was definately one of the bottom 10. Anyway, I can't complain too much given the price that they charge and the fact that they really cater to the students and families of those attending the local university in the area who often are looking for a bargain place to stay overnight during their visits with their kids. To enhance this option, they even had a laundry room for those who were residing there for more than a few days - very typical of my long past university days.

If you don't want to pay too much and can put up with mediocre rooms, poor customer service, little attention to detail then this is the place for you.

• Liked — Low priced hotel
  • Disliked — Awful customer service and attention to detail
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

My husband and I drive up to Flagstaff to visit family and usually stay in a moderate to budget motel. Wanting something a little different and a big bigger than the usual Motel 6, I chose this motel through the internet. Of course, the photos on the website were very nice and looked inviting. I reserved the "one room suite" that had a coffee maker, a fridge, a microwave and a balcony. I was very disappointed as it was very old and shabby, dark and it had an odor. I liked the balcony for the fresh air and a place to sit and drink some hot tea, but it looked out onto the busy and noisy I-40. It held three tired, dirty white plastic chairs. And no HBO although the cable channel selections were good. I thought it was not a good value for the money. One poster here was correct about the breakfast. I went down to see what there was offered and it was lame. 2 selections of generic cereal, toast, do-it-yourself waffles, and a "Tang-like" orange beverage that did not even taste as good as Tang. So went down the street to the Denny's. On our way out the next morning, we noticed many of the cleaned rooms were left open to the hall. Me, being a curious person and wondering what the other rooms were like, I peeked into a few of them. Many of them were quite nice and looked to have been recently remodeled. So, we did not get one of the newer ones. It looks like staying here is hit or miss. Ask for one of the newer, prettier rooms. I probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — recieved and older, shabby room
  • Tips/Secrets — ask for the newer remodeled rooms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2006

After spending 10 minutes in our room we knew this was not the right hotel for us. The heater didn’t work, the bath towels looks as though they were years old (fraying and grey), the channels advertised didn’t work, constant crying from the baby in the room next door, and arguing from the other side we decided to ask for a refund and leave.

The hotel attendant was very rude, and unprofessional. This is the first time we have tried an Econo Lodge and it doesn’t look like we will be using this change again. We sent a letter to the customer complaint center about the dirty sheets, towels, broken tv, heater, and rude service, but the website cut off half of our letter.

Now here we sit in this room with working internet typing you this complaint. We can’t watch tv, enjoy heat (it’s 35 degrees outside), shower, or sleep because of the noise, and she won’t refund our money. We feel as though we are trapped in some kind of a Candid Camera Cops episode.

Disgruntled in Flagstaff

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

This hotel has a nice warm pool, this has to be the cleanest pool I have been in a while. The water was crystal blue and they have a steam room. The breakfast room has new modern atrium style sunroom. I stay at Econolodge across the US and this is by far the best keep it up!

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

This hotel is gross. It is the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed in. I have serious doubts that the sheets were washed. I would rather sleep in my car than sleep at this place again. Stay near the university - the hotels looked much nicer on that side of town and that's where the restaurants are also.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2005

The family and I came up to Flagstaff for some snowboarding, and this hotel was a perfect stay for the night. It is a great location, and the rooms must have just been fixed up, it was a great night of needed sleep. Without a doubt, this has to be one of the better hotels I've stayed at in this old town. I'll be back for another stay and thanks for the great accomadation.

Been to Econo Lodge Lucky Lane? Share your experiences!