“Clean, nice room.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Days Inn I-40/Flagstaff to your Saves list
Days Inn I-40/Flagstaff
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2735 S Woodlands Village Blvd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #32 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights. When I checked in I noticed that the charge was for $12 more than the original reservation said. I travel a lot but had never had an experience if being overcharged like that, so I didn't have the printout of the reservation with me. When I logged in to their reservation system on my phone, the Days Inn site showed a rate even higher than the rate the hotel was trying to charge me. The person at the front desk told me to just fax a copy of the original reservation and I would receive a credit. What I didn't notice at the time was that the overcharge was equal to 3 nights worth of a "Service Fee". Had I read some past reviews on Trip Advisor, I would've known what this was about and tried to challenge it. Unfortunately, there's not much I can do now, since when I did get back and looked at the original reservation, it mentions that the hotel may be adding "local surcharges or service charges". If this is a standard practice, why not include it from the get-go so you know the total? The answer is unfortunately simple: price competition with rival chains means that they deceptively leave out these fees to make themselves look cheaper in comparison. For example, Motel 6 now charges for wi-fi, but at least they make it perfectly clear on their website. If I plan to use wifi there, I can add the fee and I'll know ahead of time EXACTLY what my final cost will be.

The facility seemed clean and well appointed until we were given our rooms keys (we were on the second floor). When I asked where the elevator was, I was told there was no elevator (another thing I would've noticed had I read the reviews ahead of time). This is the first time I've stayed in a hotel with interior corridors that didn't have an elevator.

Once in the room, things initially looked better. The room had decent space and amenities, including items not listed on the website. The bathroom was basic but very clean. The room had a small fridge and microwave, which weren't listed as standard amenities for every room (that meant there was no open plugs to charge our computers/phone; we had to unplug other items to do that). Unfortunately, that was the only pleasant surprise. The room was advertised as having 2 queen beds, but these were the smallest queen beds I'd ever seen (sleeping in them wasn't that comfortable either). Noise from the hallway and other rooms wasn't filtered well, though it wasn't the worst I've stayed in. Our room was next to the main staircase, and the bed was against the wall shared with the stairwell. While sitting in bed leaning against the wall, I would feel the vibrations of people going up and down the stairs! Thankfully I had brought earplugs!
Breakfast wasn't anything to write home about. Yes, they offer hot waffles, but you have to make them yourself (which is fine for how much the nightly rate was), but it was obvious from the first morning that it wasn't going to happen for me. The line to make waffles took up the vast majority of the limited space of the breakfast area. I quickly resigned myself to the cereal selections (a respectable 4 different options), and figured I'd probably be doing the same the next 2 mornings. When I came down the second morning and tried to get some cereal, they were out of milk. I went to the front desk to bring it to their attention so they could refill the milk dispenser. I was told they were out (duh!) and there was nothing they could do. I asked if she could send to get some more milk and she said no (I did hear her talk to someone in the back room; a large grocery store and a Walmart are just across the street). The time was about 8:40 and breakfast was supposed to be served till 9. When I asked if I'd be entitled to a small refund on that day's rate, her response was negative, with the explanation given that "breakfast was free"! She was very serious about that! Obviously, I didn't even try to get breakfast the 3rd morning of our stay.

We plan to make several trips up to Flagstaff this winter season. We will be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definitely avoid rooms 200 and 201.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed overnight at this Days Inn. We had spent the day at the Grand Canyon and we decided we would spend the evening in lovely Flagstaff before returning the next day to Phoenix. This place was well-priced for a one night stay. We just slept there and then had a quick breakfast... Perfect for that. Decent bed, clean, courteous service, simple breakfast. Good location in relation to the town and the freeway. No complaints from us! If you want to spend a couple days in Flagstaff there are some nicer places, however we would recommend this for anyone who needed a stopover for a night or two.

Room Tip: No difference!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Days Inn I-40/Flagstaff? Share your experiences!