“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The first room they gave me had stains on the walls, including what looked like a hand print (I don't want to know what was on this person's hands). The one large chair in the room had a HUGE stain on it. I went to the front desk to get a different room; the guy explained that the stain on the chair had been cleaned. The thing is, if there's a HUGE stain on any furniture, you get new furniture. You don't leave a huge spot there like that. bleach the walls, for gods sake. CLEAN THE ROOM.

He reluctantly gave me another room which also had stains on the walls--including stuff that could have clearly been cleaned off but wasn't. And right next to the bed there were what looked like claw marks dug into the wall paper....no joke.

I left this motel and went somewhere else. I'm sorry but customer service? I understand that this is an econolodge, so it's not going to be fancy, but they could at least make the rooms LOOK hygienic. How am I supposed to trust that they properly clean these rooms if they leave them looking like crap?

Room Tip: don't go here!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife made the reservations for our ski trip to Flagstaff; I was a little concerned when I found out the price was under $30 per night. We had 2 non-smoking rooms, both with king beds. No problems checking in. The rooms were clean and next to each other as requested. Everything was adequate for as much time as we spent in the rooms. The room had a small refrigerator, good sized bathroom, good heater, and a sink area.
The king bed had only 3 pillows on it, so I would request more as soon as possible because it seems only the maid staff has access to pillows.
Overall, I was happy with the value and the rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here on December 29th, 30th and 31st of 2012. This hotel exceeded our expectaions for the amount we paid. Not sure what others expected, but the desk attendants are not the comedy club or condo sales people, they were professional and treated us with respect. The "continental breakfast" rivals any we have experienced...it was more like the breakfast at LaQuinta ($$$ minus the waffle maker. The room was excellent for ($$) motel. Beds were firm but clean. Pillows were only downer...but WalMart is just minutes away. We stayed in national chain X last time we were in Flagstaff and paid ($$$). Rooms were newer but not nicer. So, Econolodge in Flagstaff is a great place for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Room was small, even for two doubles. Shower was tepid, and hit me below the armpit. Room was noisy with street noise and adjoining rooms. Outside lights would not turn off, so room was lit up like it was daylight all night long. The lights were all underpowered florescent bulbs, so it looked dingy and washed out. Wifi was terrible. continental breakfast was meager, some small apples and oranges, bread and jam, one type of muffin, and watery juice. Saved by Quaker oatmeal. Overall, would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We spent a night at the Econo Lodge in Flagstaff, AZ last April. It was inexpensive, comfortable, certainly not fancy and well-located near Northern Arizona University. We stopped again on October 22. A good bargain money-wise. The staff didn't seem too concerned or interested when our plastic card wouldn't open our room door, and reprogrammed the card. The room was reasonably comfortable but looked somewhat the worse for wear as if someone had been throwing baseballs at the walls. When showering the next morning, my wife called my attention to a big black hair stuck to the shower wall. I told the desk clerk, and he had no comment. The included breakfast was minimal but to be expected in view of the low price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
familyinn, General Manager at Econo Lodge Flagstaff University, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
I do thank you for bringing these issues up to my attention. I have noted the cleanliness issues and will address them with our housekeeping staff to prevent these issue from arising in the future. I have also noted the service quality from our front desk staff and I will address this review to them to show them there performace. I do thank you again for bringing these issues up and I also apologize for the experience your received from our property. I do hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Econo Lodge in Flagstaff is a great value. The room was very clean, and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were a bit flat. We were in the back corner on the main floor, close to the pool, but didn’t experience any noise, even though there were some kids playing in the pool.No noise from neighbors, either. This was an overnight stop for us, so we didn’t use the pool, but it looked very clean. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and pretty close to major roads for getting around to area attractions , like the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

Front desk staff were very courteous and efficient. They were very knowledgeable about the area and gave great advice on local eateries and attractions.

A basic continental breakfast is included – lots of breads for toast and muffins, fruit, juices and coffee/tea. When we were there, they had run out of fruit and fruit juices. They were very quick to replace the missing items, however, so don’t be shy about letting them know it has run out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I do thank you for taking the time out of your day comment on our property. Im glad to hear your stay went well and the staffs performance was great. I thank you again on your positive review and hope to see you during your next stay in Flagstaff.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

A reasonable place to lay your head for the night. Comfy beds - everything worked... pretty clean looking although the carpet did look scary & smelled a chemical cleaning as we walked in.
But all in all... staff was OK... not cheery but not rude. The juice, muffin, toast "breakfast" was welcomed in the morning. Did not use the pool but it looked clean. I would stay here again if I was passing thru Flagstaff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I thank you very much for your positive review. Im glad to hear everything went well during your stay and we hope to see you during your next visit in the Flagstaff area.

Been to Econo Lodge Flagstaff University? Share your experiences!