“Great Value, Clean, Comfortable, Responsive and Courteous Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
San Diego, California
“Great Value, Clean, Comfortable, Responsive and Courteous Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I've stayed here many times over the last 15 years and have always found this motel to be a great value with very reasonable prices in a resort town. Prices are even less for seniors and AAA members. It has always been clean and comfortable with a parking lot spacious enough to not have cars parked "on top" of each other limiting room to unload bags, etc. The staff is quick to resolve problems, even if it might mean changing rooms. The desk clerks are cheerful, accommodating, and courteous. I generally heard no trains nor street noise. Beds and pillows are clean and comfortable. Plenty of hot water for showering, even in the morning. TV worked great. In room coffee pot worked well. The pool is good and well maintained. Do not depend on their clock radios for an alarm clock-they are not reliable; however, they have a wake-up call service. The continental breakfast is exactly what you would expect in a continental breakfast: pastries (sometimes), english muffins, cereal (including oatmeal), 2 kinds of juice, hot coffee, and plenty of butter and jam. There is also a basket of fresh fruit, like apples and oranges. Other motels sometimes offer waffles too, but their prices generally are higher. However, breakfast is in the main lobby, not a separate breakfast room, and there are only 2 breakfast tables for all guests. In the past, they had small trays so you could take breakfast for 2 back to your room along with coffee and juice. But at my last visit, these trays were no longer available, even on request. EconoLodge has been known as a budget motel, and should be compared with other budget motels. I gave it 4 stars (as a budget motel) considering it compares very favorably with even more expensive motels in the area. When this motel has been full in the past, I've stayed in other motels and paid lots more for a lot less. But if you are looking for lots more service and features, a big breakfast, and amenities, this probably isn't the place, but be prepared for higher prices elsewhere. But be careful.......prices can significantly increase here (like all other motels in the area) when there are special events in town, like the NAU graduation for example (usually in May I think), and all rooms in town are at a premium (if you can even find one without an advance reservation). I'm not looking for much when I travel.....just a good night's sleep and being comfortable. I can't imagine staying elsewhere when I'm in Flagstaff.

Room Tip: If you have limited mobility, ask for a 1st floor room. There are no elevators, and stairs are diffi...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
henderson, Nv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was rated highly so we thought we would give it a try even tho Econolodges are generally quite low grade motels. There is NOTHING good we can say about it. Staff were unfriendly, swimming pool had a yellow ring around the wall like bathtub ring and was disgusting. Cold water in shower even very early in morning. Beds incrediblty hard. Refrgerator didnt work. Small tv was so dark on screen you could hardly know what was happening. Ice machine didnt work. Vending machine didnt work. At Breakfast, even tho there at 6 :15, all muffins gone, orange and apple dispensers empty or didnt work. So if you like toast and instant oatmeal that was it.
Avoid this Motel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Casa Grande, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

Great housekeeping. The beds were very nice didnt care to much for the pillows. It was very cold in the room the heating seems to be a little out dated. We went down for breakfast the first morning we were there and there wasnt much to pick from ceral would have been nice or maybe even bagles with cream cheese. The over all stay was niceloved the window veiw...

Room Tip: Better breakfast to pick from.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

Because I got a really incredible deal on this room, I was not expecting much, but I was completely impressed by everything here. The room just had a warm cozy feeling to it. From the time we checked in, I got a great reception from staff and they were always cheerful;never felt like we were a bother. Slept great, breakfast was free and easy, plenty to choose from. We only stayed one night, but i would for sure stay there again. Just an over all great value. Paid much more the following night at a hotel near the canyon and wished i had just stayed 2 nights at Econo Lodge in Flagstaff instead! I liked where this place was located because although it was easy to find and close to everything, it was also kind of tucked away and private.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at $50 per night. Obviously if you want luxury this is not your place. I wanted to see the sites and return to shower and sleep, plus access fast internet, that's all. My expectations were met as I.got a clean, simple room, away from the noise of the trains which had really good internet. Also, it was snowing during my stay (I did not expect that!) and the heating kept it warm to the point where I felt nice and cosy.

Staff service was a little mixed - in the day it was a friendly young lady, at night it was an odd woman who looked completely disinterested in people generally. The breakfast in the front office was just honey buns (a crappy pastry), toast, juice from a machine and coffee, none of it looked good. Bag storage was a bit of a hassle - I had sent a bag storage request and been told they could accomodate, yet on arrival they told me they didn't have a storage area. The staff put my bag in an unsecured area which I was not thrilled about.

The hotel also had a 'Business Center' in that it had a lone PC which you could use to surf internet or print documents.

About the noise from the trains ... during my stay in flagstaff I watched one of the freight trains pass by and it was incredibly loud, and the noise went on for about 5-10 minutes. I would not recommend staying in a hotel near the train line unless there have been some changes to noise policy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed for three nights at this hotel in the last week of December. We had a fantastic stay at this place. We had the 2 queen bed rooms. It had all the amenities you would want - microwave, refrigerator, quiet heater, etc. Housekeeping was great. Clean rooms, and really good prices. I saw many negative reviews about the breakfast at this hotel. For the price, I really don't even expect a breakfast. The breakfast is good enough to get you started for the day....breads....butter....coffee....juices....muffins etc. They have juices available through the day as well. But the best part of this hotel is the people/staff. Everybody is fantastic.....I don't know all their names.....but I remember one name - Pete. Everyone and especially Pete were very courteous and helped us a lot with getting us acquainted with Flagstaff and helped us in a zillion ways (including calling us to let us know the weather forecast even after we checked out) during the snow storm that hit flagstaff in last week December. We loved staying here....and would stay again without a doubt next time we are in Flagstaff! Fantastic - 5 stars!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, NM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This property is very basic. It is the typical hotel with nothing special or interesting. The room was clean and comfortable, Wi-Fi was free and the continental breakfast was, well, very basic but adequate. As long as you don’t expect any more, this was an adequate overnight stay. This is a pet friendly property with a $10 per night fee, however, I didn’t mention that I had a pet and wasn’t charged.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Econo Lodge Flagstaff University? Share your experiences!