“Great remodeled motel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
North Dakota
“Great remodeled motel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

The family suite we were given to stay in was completely redone. The furnishings, carpet, two bathrooms, dressing areas, bedding, etc. were all in great condition. For an older motel, this was a complete surprise! The breakfast building is separate, and is also clean, bright, and nicely arranged. It was a very reasonable place to stay with friendly staff at the front desk and in the breakfast room. If traveling to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, give this place a try!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. Our staff appreciates it!

Scott Grams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Kingman, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

This is the third time I have stayed here. The service is first rate. The staff are very upbeat, yet professional. Rooms are nice, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you, we appreciate your loyalty as a repeat visitor!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Our stay at the Best Western Pony Soldier Inn was very nice. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. The room was small, but large enough for the 2 of us. Sink and vanity on the outside of the tub and toilet, so this works great when getting ready in the mornings. The railroad tracks are just in front of this hotel, but it was not a problem. We were near the front of the hotel, so is probably quiter at the back. However, we had no problem sleeping. The free breakfast was fantastic. We enjoyed this all three mornings we were there. 3 restaurants within walking distance. The hot tub was nice too. Check in and check out was easy and fast. Great value for the money. About 1.5 hour drive to the Grand Canyon...very senic. Lovely area. We got this room for about $60 per night. Well worth it. Free wi-fi and two computers in the lobbies for customer use.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our rates coincide not surprisingly with demand. With that being said, usually May through September rates will be higher as more families and International guests visit the natural beauty that Northern Arizona has to offer. This is true of all hotels in Flagstaff and the surrounding area.

Beaumont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I always appreciate that when I go to sites such as Priceline that this hotel is usually one that is selected when I name my own price. The rooms are always clean and spacious. My son has traveled with me both on business and pleasure and he has room to play which is a good thing. Room rates include a continental breakfast that has both hot and cold choices. Their "dining area" is spacious and the choices really are plenty - from cereal, oatmeal, waffles, biscuits, danish, fresh fruit etc... enough to satisfy.
The location is great if you want to play tourist and visit Flagstaff and the surrounding area or if you have a student attending NAU.
My only drawback would be that this hotel is located across from a railroad. Although the sounds of the train are muffled within the building they can be heard and if you are a light sleeper will keep you awake. Overall I am satisfied every time I stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Laguna Woods, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Pony Soldier hotel in Sept. of 2010 based on generally positive reviews at TripAdvisor.com. For the most part, the room was good. It was clean and while the decor was eclectic, it was perfectly fine and we were pleased. Some of the other reviews referred to this glass door to the bathroom area and I couldn't understand what they meant. Well, now I do. It is a pocket door made out of etched glass and it is the ONLY door to the bathroom and it does NOT even close all the way, leaving a GAP between it and the wall. Therefore, if someone is using the toilet, the person in the bedroom area can hear that person using the toilet, if you get my drift! But that's not even the worst aspect of the room. While I admit I am a light sleeper, I also travel with sound conditioners to block out outside noise and I turned on the FAN on the heat pump unit to also muffle any street noises, but to no avail. The train is so close to the hotel that when it went through nearly EVERY 30 MINUTES during the entire night, it woke me up all night long! So I would NEVER stay there again. That said, the breakfast was very nice and I can't say anything else negative about the hotel except, of course, it is right on Route 66, which is a very busy road.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We have had a few guests that do not care for the entry doors to the vanity area. Personal choices and expectations I guess, and we respect that. We have also had comments that the guests like the doors and use it as a night light. As far as the train noise, you are correct in that we are across the street from the tracks. Our hotel is perpendicular to the tracks, so it is quieter as you move towards the rear of the hotel. Prior to March 2010, the trains blew their whistles while going through Flagstaff and the noise was much greater. It is true you can hear the rumble of the trains going through town, but the noise has been reduced significantly from where it once was.

oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I booked this room on best western site which was likely a mistake as i paid 145 dollars after all tax , it was the most expensive best western we stayed in on our trip and it was the worst one

we arrive check in was fast and easy,lobby was clean hotel felt safe parking was good
front desk guy had no idea about anything was not sure if there was a restroom by the pool/breakfast area or not ,not sure where the pool towels were.

our room as upstairs the hallways are weird with the rooms having little shared hallway off the main hall,the floors seemed unsturdy and there was a dip in the floor as you entered our room was fine and clean . The bathroom had a etched glass door that made me think you would not want to stay here with anyone that you were not intimate with as you may be casting silhouettes !
I slept like a rock but someone else in the hotel did not as the next morning we were confronted by another guest who demanded to know what room we were in, apparently someone had kept him up all night, wasn't us,he complained a bit then went looking for the noise maker
the pool was tiny but nice we were the only ones in it while we were there and had a great soak,the breakfast the next morning was very nice the lady taking care of that area did a nice job

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2010
I am sorry to hear that you felt our Best Western was the worst one you stayed in during your trip. Our hotel is an older hotel built in the early 60's, but we try to keep it updated and current. We have many repeat guests that give us favorable reviews, and our customer service scores reflect that.

Our hotel is priced competitively with area Flagstaff hotels of similar quality and offerings. The Flagstaff Best Western is less expenisve than BW hotels near the Grand Canyon and Sedona, thus many guests use Flagstaff as a "Hub City".

We continue to strive to meet all guests expectiations. Thank you for your comments.

Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

When I checked into this Best Western, I was told that I got a "free upgrade". I wasn't sure exactly what that meant but I got a first floor room with two beds even although I was traveling alone. Usually, an "upgrade" would be a second floor room.

First the positives, this Best Western got great location. I was here to visit the national monuments around Flagstaff and this motel proves to be most ideal. It was only two blocks away from the main post office so it was near perfect for my needs. The lobby was clean and the free continental breakfast proves to be quite good. The staff there were quite nice and helpful. Check in and check out was effectively fast.

The negatives, the room wasn't exactly up to par with rest of the Best Western I stayed in. It was a noisy room for sure. I can hear my neighbors next door, I can hear people walking in and out from the parking lot and all that. For an "upgrade", I think I got the worst room in the motel. Must have been a joke for the front desk people to play on a visitor from Alaska. What make it worst was that there was a "elephant" above me and that "elephant" thumped around at all time of the night. Usually in an uncrowded motel, they alternate room so no one will be over another room. I know that this Best Western wasn't filled to the max but unlike other Best Westerns I stayed with during this vacation, the front desk didn't bother to use the alternate room system but put someone directly over me. The floor must be weak since it felt like that "elephant" might come crashing down on my bed at times. Needless to say, my two nights here wasn't well spent. And that itself defeat the purpose of what a Best Western should be, a nice quiet place to rest and relaxed after a long day on the road.

Now is this a fair assessment of this Best Western based on unable to sleep well? Well, yes it is since you come to a place like this to sleep in the first place right? If you can't, then the primary purpose of your room hasn't been fulfilled!!

Would I recommend this place? Only if you can get a second floor room, otherwise, I would cancel and go someplace else..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
I was happy to hear of your positive comments regarding our location, breakfast, and staff. Many guests do use us for the same purpose you mentioned, a hub to see the many attractions that Northern Arizona has to offer.

I apologize you felt your upgrade was a downgrade? Actually, the orginal room that you booked was a room with one queen bed, aproximmately 2/3rds the size of the room that we upgraded you to. The upgraded room also had a fridge, which the smaller rooms do not.

Because of our lack of an elevator, most of our guests prefer to be downstairs. Sorry about that, but in the future it is ok to let any desk attendant know that you would prefer an upstairs room. We generally are able to meet most requests, and get special requests all the time.

The summer months are peak season for Flagstaff, and most hotels run near full every night. This reveiw does not give the actual dates you were here, but we were 90% occupied for the month.

I thank you for your comments. We will continue to work hard to meet our customer expectations.

Scott Grams

Been to BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!