“Great staff team” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff team”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Everyone was helpful and pleasant.
We stayed here on two different nights on a recent road trip of Arizona and Utah National Parks and Monuments. We had planned to stay in town on the second visit, but cancelled the other hotel and returned here due to the lovely staff - especially Beverley, hope you had a good time in Costa Rica.
The Pony Soldier is on the Route 66 and a bit of a journey to Downtown. Not a problem - the fast and efficient Mountain Line Route 66 bus stops about half a block away and cost $1.25 per fare - thanks for info and timetable Beverley.
The last bus leaves Flagstaff at 9.15p.m. but that suited us as we had early starts both days.
Why the bus? There are several micro/craft brewers in Flagstaff and we don't drink and drive.
The freight trains ARE frequent and this adds to the ambience - I was brought up near to the busy London to Brighton trainline in the UK, so happy thoughts of childhood.
Being on Route 66 the Pony Soldier is convenient for the I40; AZ89 - Wupatki and Sunset Crater; 66 East for Walnut Canyon National Monument and scenic AZ160 to Grand Canyon.
The only thing that we found less than satisfactory was the breakfast, but with a microwave and a fridge in the room that wasn't a problem.
Would stay here again if/when in Flagstaff.
Thank you all for two pleasant stays.

Room Tip: #200 for pet free/allergy sufferers, but not if the trains bother you - it is at the front nearest t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your first stay and that you decided to stay with us again when you returned from your National Park Circle. I assume you made it back to England, and Beverly has returned from her trip to Costa Rica. Thanks again for your kind words, and we look forward to your return visit!

Scott Grams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arrived late 11-5-12 in the dark and did not see the train track across the street until one went by as I was checking in. The lady at the desk said there was a law in the City of Flagstaff that they could not blow their whistle and I would never feel any vibration. A City can not pass a law that violates any State or Federal train laws for street crossings! She gave me what she said was a quite room way in the back so I could not hear them. She said she lived 9 miles away and never heard them even though the track was a "major" east-west" route. Well guess what, it was awful, trains all night long, whistles and no sleep. It was 27 degrees outside and there was no extra blanket in the room, only the lightweight spring covers on the bed so I had to put the 2 bath towels on the bed for warmth. I turned on the in-room heater but it was like having a lawnmower running in the room. I got very little rest in spite of a Tylenol PM and ear plugs. DON'T STAY HERE unless you plan to sleep in your car at a rest stop soon after you leave. I am going to go downstairs to ask for 1/2 my money back. No glass pot for the coffee maker in the room and when I boiled water and had it drip into the paper cup to make the instant hot chocolate I brought I had to stir it with the pen in the room. No microwave and no refrigerator either and the mattress is so cheap and hard it felt like a hardwood floor. DON'T STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all if you want any rest.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 8, 2012

I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at our hotel. As I have mentioned on previous responses, Flagstaff is a historic logging town that grew up along the railroad in the 1880’s. Our hotel was built in the early 60’s along Route 66 and the railroad, and has been successfully operating ever since. With that being said, and is also noted on Trip Advisor in the room tip area, if guests are light sleepers the back of the hotel is genuinely quieter than the front.

Flagstaff does has an agreement with the BNSF Railroad, the government, and the Arizona Corporation Commission that while traveling through the city, the whistles are only supposed to be used in cases of warnings or public safety.

“March 13, 2010 from APR (Arizona Public Radio)
For many small towns, the long, haunting sound of a train whistle is a sign of old world charm. But for people living near those train whistles, the charm wears off quickly. Flagstaff, Ariz., is the latest town to silence its train whistles, after federal rules have allowed this safety feature to be replaced by wayside whistles and cameras. Nationally, there are fewer towns willing to tolerate the noise.”

Many of the items you have listed could have easily been rectified with a phone call. We could have brought you extra blankets. If the Heater/AC was too noisy for your liking, we could have moved you to another room, and we could have explained that the “single cup” coffee maker does not have a glass pot; rather you put your cup under the drip basket. There are instructions for use printed on the top of the coffee maker. We also have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available 24/7 in our lobby. There are condiment packages in the basket next to the coffee maker, and if one were missing, we would have gladly delivered one to you.

When you came down to check out with the front desk staff, you listed some of these items, but indicated you did not want a discount. My staff wrote the issues down and then gave me the information. I then instructed her to remove the payment and the charge and we did not charge you for your room. I noticed that this is your first review, and unfortunately it was a negative one. I would like to suggest in the future, irregardless of where you stay, that if problems do arise, you contact the front desk or manager so the can attempt to make things right. If we do not realize you are experiencing problems or issues during your stay, we are unable to fix them. We are in the hospitality business, and we do try to please our customers. I would also encourage you to write reviews when you have positive experiences too!

General
Melb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Location good but car desirable as is some way out of town.

Spacious, comfortable rooms with good facilities.

Staff helpful and polite.

There is no restaurant on site but the desk clerk pointed us in the direction of a multi year award winning restaurant in the shopping precinct next door. Yes...I did thank her greatly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My family of 5 stayed in the "Family Suite" for 3 nights...got a deal at $89/night. Rooms were immaculate and very spacious. Main room had 2 Queen beds, 2 loveseats, cocktail table, 2 end tables, dresser, TV, microwave, refrig. (Our kids loved their own space.) Pass through a small hallway with long closet to a separate bedroom with King bed, 2 end tables, dresser, and another TV. One full bathroom--on the small side--but it worked out fine. Entire suite had 4 double windows (plenty of light) and 3 separate climate controls (for heat or A/C). Suite faced the railroad tracks, which are very busy--counted 3-4 trains/hour...but the rumbling isn't so bad. After exhausting hikes in Sedona and the Grand Canyon, and soaking in the hot tub/swimming in the pool, we slept like babies. Beds very comfortable. Pool is small, hot tub is big--both indoors and heated. No one else used them so we had them to ouselves. Breakfast was substantial and well stocked. Biscuits & gravy better than average. Plenty of options for breakfast so a great money savings. All staff members were polite, helpful, and very welcoming. The family suite was ideal for lots of space to spread out for several days. Since there's only one of these, book it early. There's no elevator at this BW, and the suite is on the 2nd floor above the reception desk so stairs are your only option. The BW is located on the north end of Flagstaff but is just 7 minutes from the heart of downtown if you're seeking shops, trendy restaurants, etc. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed and positive review. Our family suite, although located in the front of the building, is very popular with families & couples that don't mind sharing a room.

berwick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is located across the road from a MAJOR FREIGHT LINE. As we checked in after dark we were unaware of the close proximity to the line until after we had checked in. The rail is not scheduled so you could have a night where the trains run about every 15 minutes as we had. These are 5 engine locos. On calling the front desk we were offered earplugs. This is not the clerks fault and they must take alot of slack because of the noise, but she was serious. We used the earplugs and turned the air conditioner on high. Not much sleep, the other guests looked as tired as we did the next morning.On check out I mentioned the trains and the clerk told me it is much better now that the trains cannot blow their whistles. On the plus side they do serve a great breakfast. This Best Western is not to the standard I have come to expect. They do need to work on sound proofing. After a month of travelling and many Best Western stays I cannot recommend this stop.

Room Tip: Choose the very back of the building. The trains are very loud and you can feel them through the flo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sgramsaz, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your review. Flagstaff is an old logging town that grew up along the main railroad from Chicago to Los Angeles. The infamous highway, Route 66 also follows this line. The city, along with the business community spent many years to get the railroad to stop blowing their whistles while going through town. So it is much quieter now than previously, but you can still hear the rumble of the wheels on the tracks and powerful locomotives as they roll by. Flagstaff as a whole, as well as Williams and Winslow also are on Route 66 and the railroad.

Many of our guests stay here because they enjoy the trains. Our hotel was built on Route 66 back in the 60's, and we have maintained it to be current and up to date to meet BEST WESTERN standards. We have a high repeat customer base, and as witnessed on this site, have many positive reviews. We are proud recipients of Trip Advisors Certificate of Excellence Award in 2011 and 2012 based on our customer's reviews and responses.

Each guest has different expectations and we try our best to meet them, but sometimes we fall a bit short. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our continental breakfast, which is highly rated by our guests.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to Flagstaff for a weekend getaway from Phoenix. Flagstaff is perfect this time of year, with the Oktoberfest, the cooler weather, and the bustle of NAU back in session. The hotel was a short drive to downtown. It was clean and spacious. My only problem was that we wanted a suite so that we could put our toddler to sleep in his pack n'play, then husband and I could wind down in the living room. However, this suite has no door separating the living space from the bedroom. So we had to all go to bed at the same time. Since we don't sleep 12 hours, like our 1 year old does, we had to keep him up late. He cried quite a bit, which probably disturbed our neighbors. Oh well. If you are looking for a suite with a separate room, this is not the place. The 3/4 does nothing in the way of privacy. Otherwise, continental breakfast was functional and this hotel was ok. ps. the pillows are massive and uncomfortable. Bring your own pillow.

Room Tip: all the same. Bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. You are correct that our suites have a 3/4 wall with no separate door. It is displayed as such on our website and our virtual tours. I apologize if you were misled. The suites are great for young families, perhaps not infants, but do offer two 37" flat screen TV's, two separate bathrooms, fridge and microwave, a king bed, and a pullout queen sofa sleeper.

Each bed has 4 pillows, and we try to match 2 larger and 2 smaller per bed to try to offer options for our guests.

Thanks again,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while we were in Flagstaff for a wedding. It is not located downtown, but that area is a short 5 minute drive away. Our room was clean and comfortable, and I slept very well on the bed. I could tell the hotel is a little older, but efforts have been made to update it. Breakfast is provided, and I would rate it as an above average continental breakfast (waffles, cereal, fruit, yogurt, and the type of bagels/pastries which probably go weeks without spoiling). With breakfast included, I felt staying here was a great value and would stay here again. My only complaint would be that the parking lot needs to be rearranged, so drive slowly around the building.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and would visit us again if you find yourself in Flagstaff.

Scott Grams

Been to BEST WESTERN Pony Soldier Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!