“Never again” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   2140 East Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86004   |
Henderson, Nevada
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The rooms were clean, the young lady at the front desk was friendly.
Our first room - the tiles were coming up from the floor as they had not been grouted properly, the swamp cooler was so loud you could barely hear the television over it. There was no curtain on the window that was in the bathroom - and there was an office building with windows that someone could look through and see. To add to it, the window that was next to the door had 2 screws holding it - or trying to. One push and someone could climb in easily. We also had problems with the television.
When we called the desk, they stated none of the bathroom windows had curtains. They also ended up switching our room.
The next room, the window was still in the bathroom without a curtain, but it overlooked the roof and it was outside the shower, where the last one was in the shower.
I gave this a 2 for the courtesy of the young lady at the front desk - there was another woman, maybe in her forties who was not as cordial.
We had been looking for somewhere inexpensive as we were going to be outdoors....however, it needed to have some sense of security which it does not. We will never stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Woodstock, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I had to really think about how to rate this one, but overall I was very pleased with our stay and I think at least four stars are well deserved despite some shortcomings. First, the rooms have been very recently updated. They looked nicely contemporary, and I liked the fact that the floor was laminate instead of carpet. The shower even had a rain shower head, though it was difficult to get turned on. It was far more than I was expecting given the price. There were details of the update that revealed the remodel to be rather slapdash (loose grout, some sloppy cuts in counters, that sort of thing). But overall it was a lot better than a Motel 6 or even a Super 8, the sort of places that would compare in price or probably have even cost more. The price was simply unbeatable. TV, wifi, and air conditioning all worked well. If I'm remembering right there was even a microwave and fridge, though we didn't need or use them. What really impressed though me was the service. I booked online with my phone an hour before we arrived and immediately realized I had made a mistake and accidentally booked for the following night. I called the hotel and they were very friendly and accommodating. The man I spoke to immediately canceled that reservation with no fee and rebooked us for the right night. When we checked in, the woman at the front desk was really friendly and talked to us about what food options might still be open. Later that evening, after my husband took the first shower, I found that the shower drain was very clogged. I really dislike standing in backed up water when I shower, particularly in a hotel, plus I was afraid the water would overflow the shower basin if I tried to shower too. That issue would have warranted a lower rating except for the hotel staff's response. I told the woman at the front desk about the shower, explaining that we didn't want to change rooms because it was so late, and asked if I could get a key to another room so I could take a quick shower. I really wasn't expecting a yes, but she immediately gave me a key to another room, told me to take my time returning it, and was very apologetic. I had a great shower in the end. If you stay here, don't expect every detail to be perfect. But if you run into a problem that you can't deal with, just talk to the staff. They could not have been more helpful and accommodating. And, like I said, the price is awesome: less than chain motels and with far better service and ambience.

• Stayed May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

WARNING!!! WORST PLACE EVER!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!

Blood on bed sheet and floor, fecal stain and multiple pubic hairs on bed sheet, etc etc etc. This is the worst place I've ever stayed at - EVER!!!

This is the first time I've ever reviewed a hotel or motel negatively, but "Royal Inn" is so much in it's own class of insanely bad that I feel I own it to my fellow travellers to warn about this place..

It all started when we checked in and got our first room. Here, the room was under construction (full of dirt and construction dust which made our mouths dry and dusty within a minute. Furthermore, the room did not have any of the advertised equipment, such as a fridge and a microwave oven. Also, there was no soap. Since the room was clearly under construction, we thought that there had been a mistake and went down to the reception and politely asked for a new room. While encountering a somewhat hostile female behind the desk, we were given a new room but the problems didn't stop here..

Whereas the new room did have the advertised utilities, the sheet were dirty with pubic hairs, blood stain, poop stain etc (I will see if I can upload pictures along with this review). Furthermore, the comforter was torn up and has holes in it. In addition, the general level of cleanliness was extremely poor and we found pubic hairs on the bedding as well as in the sink, blood on bedding and on the floor, mold in corners etc.

We then contacted management again and politely asked to have the sheets changed (they had told us that they were fully booked, so we knew we couldn't ask for another room), and they said that they would change our bedding. We went out to eat, but after returning - 1 hour later - nothing had been done. This pushed us to ask for the money back (and we would then find a new place to stay), but the woman at the counter refused after having called the manager. We did manage to get them to hand out new bed sheets and pillows, but those sheet were also dirty (!!!) (again, I will see if I can upload photos along with this review..)

From here started a nightmare where we had to call Booking.com to try and get our money back and get help with finding another hotel/motel. Booking.com asked us to take picture evidence of the room etc. which we did, and upon receiving the pictures, booking.com called the woman at the desk (which now claimed to be the manager!!) to ask them to refund our money. The woman at the desk now claimed that "we had been complaining from the moment we got there, and that we were lying about everything" (little did she know that we had a camera with us and could document the whole thing). Long story short, despite having booked a room for several days, we ended up leaving and Booking.com managed (after numerous emails and several weeks of problems with the management at the place) to give us 50% of our money back. We thus lost money on this in the end.

I will recommend to everyone that you stay far far far away from this place and take your money elsewhere..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Made this reservation last minute, and was pleasantly surprised. This hotel is easy on your wallet and very welcoming. I enjoyed the rooms as they were recently remodeled. T.J. at the front desk was friendly even during our last arrival. I will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rodeway Inn Flagstaff? Share your experiences!