“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

There are many budget hotels in Flagstafff, and most of them are run down, poorly managed, badly located, etc. This one stands out above the others for being clean, well-managed and in a decent location only a few blocks from downtown.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I chose this hotel based on the reviews and its location, and stayed here for 4 nights. The location is perfect - close to downtown and the urban trails, a block away from NAU, close to the observatory, and easy access to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc. The price was definitely right, and the room was immaculate. The room was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave - the refrigerator was larger than you find in most hotel rooms, included a small freezer compartment, and - best of all - was virtually noiseless. The bathroom was no-frills, but it was spotless and everything worked efficiently. I had lots of different guests staying in the rooms next to me during the four nights , but I was never bothered by any of them - the soundproofing must be fairly good. The wi-fi worked perfectly - never had a problem with it. All in all, I'd recommend this hotel based on its value , cleanliness and location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

I spent just one night at the Highland Country Inn and was impressed by the value I got for a $65 (tax included) rate. No-frills, standard motel. The room was truly spotless, definitely one of the cleanest motel rooms I've ever seen. Check-in & check-out was swift and efficient. Free high-speed internet too. You can clearly see that this property is very well managed. It's slightly far from the center but well within walking distance (10 minutes to downtown). I would definitely return there!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

My wife and I booked this well before arriving in the US and thought it good value for what we paid. Our room was upstairs, large and clean, obviously used, but in fine order. A fridge, micro-wave and a TV made up the electrical stuff, along with a hair dryer.

The shower worked, as did all the lights, we only used the room to sleep and shower in, so it had everything we required and as stated already, at a very keen price.

The old downtown area of Flagstaff is within walking distance and we seemed to be safe enough wandering around in the evenings during our three night stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Needed a place fairly close to downtown Flagstaff for a wander around. This place worked fine, I paid $60 - a little more than other reviewers but I was happy. Clean and comfortable with good shower pressure. Easy to find and park, quick friendly check in - hard to get lost finding the room! Secure enough not to worry. A flower of 60/70's style architecture!

The room backed onto the main road yet was quiet, hang a left and 5 minutes walk later under the bridge you are on Route 66 by the visitors centre. Everything to see for the 66 traveller is left or right. (Weatherford, Babbit Ford etc). Dinner at the Beaver St Brewery and a cocktail at Granny's and the photo of Paul Bunyan. Easy and simple. Macabre note - Timothy McVeigh stayed at the Hilltop just up the road apparently....There are nearby fast food places as gas stations if you need them, I had a complimentary coffee and hit the road to go hiking.
Sometimes simple things work best. Total stay was 11 hours and unusually I didn't take a photo - letting the side down!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I really enjoyed this place! The staff was uber friendly, everything was READY when we got there (unlike many other higher class hotels). I decided to stay here after reading the horror stories of other hotels in the area. These stories inclue Bed bugs, unfriendly staff, overpricing.... so my frien and I decided this would motel would be our first stop from our arrival in phoenix. Apon our arrival I have to admit I was nervous. I saw this motel and was wondering is it was really worth the money?! I tried to remeber I had two weeks of traveling (through out arizona) and i needed to rest. So I dragged my flatlander, cigerette smoking lungs to the check in counter. Was greated by a genuine friendly face, took my keys, and hiked up the stairs. Got into the room (I was miserably tired by now), and was VERY supprised.

The room was CLEAN... VERY CLEAN actually. I immediately ran to the bathroom to inspect more. NOT A SPOT! No mold... the water pressure in the shower was great.... Then proceded to take off the covers of the bed... no "private" marks... i found clean smelling (awfully pink) pressed sheets in a wait.... yes... comfy bed!

I showered... slept... woke up rested.... I didn't hear the famous freight train of Flagstaff once! Rooms are basic... they do have a fridge and microwave... locationg is safe... but not close enough to the downtown to walk it..... It's right off the campus of NAU... and it is across the street from Granny's, a great bar/restaurant... famous for a mini apple pie... GREAT CRUST! I slept there one more night before hiking bright angel trail... and I a had great sleep!

Just a warning... flagstaff (even in august when i went) IS FREEZING AT NIGHT. It was 38 degrees in the morning (yeah was a shock when i walked outside in shorts)... though both the heat and airconditioning worked in the room.

Flagstaff is also around 9,000 feet above sealevel. (perfect place to rest a couple days before the Grand canyon to acclimate)... air is noticibly thinner if you live on "flatland." This can cause a decrease in sleep quality even if you are sleeping on a cloud! Many people talk about the train in Flagstaff being loud... this can intensify agitation... so I would stay here because of PRICE and barely hearing the train!

It's close to the Lowell observatory (they discovered pluto) YOU HAVE TO GO... it's and amazing expierence and I got to take a view through a GIANT telescope. The city also operates on a lowlight nighttime policy... which was brighter then I thought it would be... but is still pretty dark so bring a flashlight if walking through residential areas. Pizza is good at Alpine pizza... server was rude, but very unique pizza (not like NYC and NJ but great in a different way!)

So in a nutshell... this place is great! No bedbugs (I hear their bad in flagstaff even at the Name hotels) IT'S DIRT CHEAP... i ended up paying $52 with tax (if i remeber... could have been cheaper). It's close to major attractions in Arizona.... (used it as a hub phx-> Fflagstaff->Petrified Forest (awesome)->Flagstaff -> Grand Canyon. It's a beautifull place in the middle of desert! Must stop here and stay at the Highland Country Inn!
PS- Free highspeed wifi! Best of our trip!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

We stayed here for one night on our way to the Grand Canyon. This place has everything you need - big spacious room, two queen beds, fridge, microwave, big bathroom, tv. What else could you ask for for $45? The room was clean and comfortable. No frills but all the basics are there for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Highland Country Inn? Share your experiences!