“The front desk people tried to fool me” 1 of 5 stars
Review of America's Best Inn

Save Saved
You added America's Best Inn to your Saves list
America's Best Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   910 S. Milton Road, Flagstaff, AZ 86001 (Formerly Arizonan Motel)   |
Ranked #50 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
New York, New York, United States
“The front desk people tried to fool me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I booked and fully paid one night at this hotel using a Hotels.com app on my cellphone, but forgot to change the number of adults to 2 though I traveled with a friend of mine, and we purposely booked a room with 2 beds.
When we had showed up at front desk, two guys with strong eastern accent momentarily declared that they will charge us an additional fee for the second person staying. I wasn't born just yesterday, so I said that any hotel's basic price does cover at least 2 persons in a room, especially when the room has two beds. Then I said that I would gladly cancel the reservation at this motel. In fact, I mixed up the names. I wanted to book the hotel named America's Best Value Inn when we had already stayed a night and were very pleased. The answer of these representatives was that they'd be happy to cancel my reservation and I'd not be getting any refund. My next turn was to say that I'd agree to pay the imposed surcharge; however, I'd post a negative review about this hotel. The surcharge was instantly called off, and we got a key of the room.
Later, I went online just for the price, comparing one adult to two adults per room price, and it expectedly showed no difference. So I feel I have to publish the story, so next visitors of Flagstaff wouldn't get oblige to bargain like at an Eastern market when they are tired after long day hiking at Grand Canyon.
Our further experience at the hotel wasn't any better, as well. In the middle of the night we were awaken by frantic knocking at the neighbor's door and some junkie's screaming. In the morning, we felt broken down by the sleepless night and had to change our next plans to hiking due to extreme tiredness.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
aneri03, Manager at America's Best Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
our rates are same for 1or 2 person 1 bed, but it is different 2 people 2 beds are higher, that is what i was explaining him,but we let him stay without any extra charge, he didn't complain about noise,nobody else has complain about noise at night or in the morning , i don't believe that,

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have to be honest - we thought this place was fine, especially considering the price. It is a 1950's motel, like many of the places in Flagstaff. Check in was relatively easy but we pre-paid through hotels . com
Our room was updated pretty nicely. This place would never be mistaken for a 5 star resort but I honestly thought that it was roomy and functional. The place is clean and comfortable. The only drawbacks were that the walls are quite thin so you can hear a lot (but that can be an issue anywhere), and there is an occasional humming in the wall which I figured out to be from the plumbing. As near as I could figure, when the water demands reach a certain level it sounds like a new pump kicks in or something. There was one time that my use of the sink coincided with the humming, but it did not happen all the time. The humming was loud enough to stir me from sleep and was probably close to a really quiet alarm clock. It doesn't happen that much and I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
The location was great for us. We were in town for Cardinals training camp and love downtown Flagstaff too. This place was walking distance from both (maybe a mile or so), which was perfect. We could walk down to training camp and avoid the parking hassles, and we could walk into town to go to Collins Pub, have a couple drinks and not have to think about driving back.
I think we would certainly consider staying here again given the location and the price. Take this review with a grain of salt. If you are really picky and are thinking of something more like a Hilton or Embassy Suites, this place will not do. If you want to save maybe $50 a night over those places and all you really want is a place to get a good rest and a good shower, this is it. If you are a light sleeper like me, you could bring some earplugs just in case you get next to some rowdy neighbors.

Room Tip: Obviously see if you can get a room further away from Milton, just to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

The sign out front said all new rooms. Our room was clearly old. Paint was pealing off in bathroom. Shower head needed to be repaired. Water pressure was good, however. The service was only OK. I had to ask several times to get extra rollaway beds put in our room. If you can afford a nicer place, go there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Well, let me say that this is the most disappointing of all of my stays at an America's Best property. As many of the other reviewer's have stated, it is an old motel. The beds are not the most comfortable, but for $60/night on a holiday weekend, it was better than a stall. This property is nothing like advertised on the website. The free internet is spotty, I had issues with staying connected until midnight. There is no breakfast as advertised online. The lobby smelled strongly of curry, but it was dinnertime when I checked in.

I would not stay here again. It was a place to stay overnight. I will be contacting the corporate offices to complain. The next time I'm in town, I will stay at a Best Western or Marriott property.

The one good thing I can say is that they allow small pets - for $12/night.

Room Tip: There is no pool. There is no fitness room. Here's a tip...stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I pass thru Flagstaff several times a year and always stay here, as it's clean, comfortable and affordable. Great central location with restaurants and shopping within walking distance, yet far enough away from the railroad tracks that the trains don't bother you. Management is friendly and knowledgeable regarding where to go and what to see. Check-in is quick and efficient and the wifi internet is free. If you're looking for an affordable room that is clean and comfortable, you won't go wrong here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

First and foremost, let me just say that I rarely rate hotels this low. I am an expert when it comes to low budget hotels in Flagstaff. I have to stay in Flag on the weekends, and over the course of the last few months I have been "trying out" various cheap hotels in the Flagstaff area. So, I realize that when you pay forty dollars for a hotel, you shouldn't expect that much. With that said, here is why I am rating this hotel so low.

When I checked in, it was pretty late. 10:45 p.m. ish? The man behind the counter seemed annoyed by my presence. I had pre-paid for the room on Expedia, as I always do. This makes check-ins usually pretty fast and easy. However, this guy proceeded to write down every number on my drivers license and credit card. Then he needed my e-mail and phone number. This whole process took about 9 minutes. I stood there...in silence as he typed. It seriously looked like he was writing a novel on his computer. I thought, do I look like some sort of criminal that he needs to have all of this information?? It was excessive and I was tired and wanted to go to bed.

After what seemed like an eternity, he handed me the key to my room and didn't really explain where the room was because he clearly had better things to do. I'm a smart girl though, so it didn't take me long to figure it out. I open the room and find what one can expect in a forty dollar a night hotel room. It seemed clean until I started to take a look around and walked into the bathroom to find dirty towels on the floor and used soap in the shower. Clearly, the bathroom had been overlooked by the cleaning staff. It happens, it's not a big deal.

I packed my stuff back up and headed back to the lobby. I explained to the man that the bathroom was dirty and there were used towels and used soap and he seemed totally puzzled. He then gets out a sheet of paper and says, "It says they cleaned it today?" Well, I'm not lying, so can I please get a different room? He again seemed annoyed and as if he didn't believe me, but then apologized for the dirty room and gave me another room.

That room was clean and fine....and the bathroom was good too. The next morning I called the front desk to ask what time check-out was, and the lady who answered was rude and short with me.

Like I said, I don't expect much from these cheapy hotels, but there are soooo many better options of low budgets places in Flagstaff. Between the rudeness, the dirty bathroom, and the long checking in process, I will definitely NOT be going back to this place. If this is the best that America has to offer, than America is in trouble.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
aneri03, Owner at America's Best Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you very much for your review,manager offer an apology for her inconvenience, and i have video recording to prove it, not only that we never ask guest for their e mail address only phone # for the reason that if guest forget something in room, at least we can informed them, it never took more than 3 minutes to check her in and i saw that video
It Is management policy to get all the information from guest and their credit card for incidental, if she feel offended for that we are sorry,

Thanks

Owner
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Service was better than I expected for the price that I paid for the room. I was thinking they will turn the heater off to save the cost after they cleaned the room, however they kept the heater on the whole day so that we can enjoy the warmth after a motorbike ride in 32F! What a nice suprise!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to America's Best Inn? Share your experiences!