“Living in the 80's! All original......” 2 of 5 stars

Canyon Inn
1.0 of 5 Motel   |   501 S. Milton, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #38 of 65 hotels in Flagstaff
Derby, United Kingdom
“Living in the 80's! All original......”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Firstly the owners are really friendly and chatty and certainly this motel doesn't reflect how hard they work, but - this place is beyond worn out.

There is never a good reason to paint floor tiles black, especially when you stick to them when bare foot and the splashes of it on the bath really do not help. The black and red decor continues into the bedroom and is clearly from the 80's - the first time around!!! Rips in the bedding and dull towels all add to the feel it was all original from the 80's (& not in a good way!!) The electrics were also 'interesting' with the plugs suspended in mid air across an adjoining door.

Massively in need of an upgrade so that the quality equals the owners enthusiasm.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first - it is quite 'different' and not everyone will want to tolerate...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Krissy's pictures are spot on! I wish I had thought to do the same. Please believe me that we are not hotel /motel snobs. If we hadn't been so tired driving from Texas to California I would have made my husband check out immediately. What are these people thinking? Painting every piece of furniture black? AND THE FLOOR TILE-PAINTED BLACK! ? IS IT TO HIDE THE GRIME? OMGOODNESS! I wanted to cry, it is that nasty! The toilet was not just dirty with urine but crusty as well. I started to scrub it with antibacterial wipes & when I started to gag my husband finished the job. We slept on top of the sheets, using our own blanket & pillows. My husband thought there were insects in the bed, pulled out his magnifying glass & thank goodness, the little black things turned out to be just pill balls from the black satin comforter. Please heed this warning that no matter how tired you are & if everything in the area is booked, sleep in your car! Or in a truck stop; their bathrooms & showers are cleaner than this place. This is a ghastly, despicable place!

• Stayed June 2012
canyoninnflagstaffaz, Webmaster at Canyon Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing Canyon Inn for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, it was shared with the manager and ways in which our valued guests could feel that they were getting their moneys worth were discussed.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Canyon Inn. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be very pleased. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Wrightwood, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

cheap room, comfortable bed. The room was "non smoking" but did have a bit of a stale smoke smell. not bad enough that I could not stay in room ( I am very sensitive to smoke). Decor dark and a bit run down. Need new towels, they may have been washed, but they are stained. Couple that is running the place was very friendly and hard working. As someone else said, the guest seem a bit "sketchy" and so does the property, but we had a safe nights sleep and that is what we needed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Webmaster at Canyon Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2012

Thank you for choosing Canyon Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about replacing stained towels.

• The couple running the place received our commendation for the courteous way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• The couple running the place received my personal commendation for the courteous way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Canyon Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is a small "mom and pop" establishment. Very nice hosts/owners-helpful and friendly. We also paid about $40, I had no billing problems. The room was clean and the bed was firm (which I prefer) and the linens fresh! The room had a TV, microwave and small fridge. Breakfast was OK, comparable to what you get elsewhere. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Page, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

It is obvious the age of the motel, so we didn't expect it to be very well maintained or updated in anyway. To my surprise it was very pleasant. The room was very clean. The carpet and bedding was newer and fairly attractive. At first the color scheme seemed a bit odd, but I realized it was very helpful for me to get a good nights sleep. I don't sleep well with any light, so the darker decor really helped. The bed was one of the nicer and more comfortable beds I have slept in in any hotel, and I have stayed at the Trump Towers. The breakfast was modest but fresh, and the coffee was a wonderful surpise, I say this as a Seattle native. The young couple that run the place were very nice and helpful. I can say that anytime I am going to stay in Flagstaff I will return and stay here. Very pleased especially for the price.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
canyoninnflagstaffaz, Webmaster at Canyon Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Canyon Inn for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found your stay to be such a pleasant one.

• The young couple that run the place received our commendation for the courteous, helpful way in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• The breakfast staff received our commendation for their presentation.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Walked in with no reservation and paid only $40 for this place, including taxes, so for that price it was great. Basic, worn furniture and the bedspread had seen better days, but for the price I didn't expect any better. Contrary to other reviews I read on here (after we stayed there!) our room was clean...although it was old and not terribly well maintained so it didn't have any sparkle or shine, and we had no billing issues. The receipt did say breakfast was included but there wasn't any. For what we paid, I didn't really expect food though so that was OK. Seemed to be run by some college kids.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tucson
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Not only was my credit card charged twice for this property...but I had to move rooms during a two day stay because I woke up with sometime of bites on my abdomen from the first room. I would've expected one night to be comped, but instead I was charged twice on the same reservation. I would not recommend staying here...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
canyoninnflagstaffaz, Webmaster at Canyon Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2012

Thank you for choosing Canyon Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Management was approached about the problem you had getting your credit back and ways were discussed in which this could be prevented from happening again to anyone.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bugs in the first room assigned to you and instructed to see to any needed extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Canyon Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back, and making your next visit much more enjoyable.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Canyon Inn? Share your experiences!