“First & Last” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Carefree
“First & Last”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were traveling by Amtrak train with a very late arrival into Flagstaff and wanted to be able to just walk to our hotel since the downtown car rental was closed. We were told by the Avis Car Rental facility that the Rodeway Inn was one of the closest hotels to the train station, so we thought we'd give it try since the historic downtown hotels didn't have very good ratings on TripAdvisor. As a matter of fact, NONE of the downtown hotels get good ratings b/c of the train noise; most are foreign owned and NOT maintained to a high standard. This will be our LAST time staying at a downtown hotel in Flagstaff. This Rodeway Inn was gnarly, dirty, loud traffic & train noise, old and run down. The office was equally gnarly, unclean and reeked of curry. I will say that the manager was kind and did allow us to have extra towels. There is a 48 hour cancellation policy on this hotel, so be careful! You are better off staying at either Drury or Marriott and paying for a cab for early morning departures or late night Amtrak arrivals. Any of the hotels right along Rt.66 parallel to the train tracks are old, run down, noisy, and you won't get much sleep.

Room Tip: Better to AVOID
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dipesh P, Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
It is disheartening to learn that you were not impressed with our accommodations, amenities and services. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any services or amenities that did not live up to your expectations. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Johannesburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

Stopped over in Flagstaff after visiting the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Was really just to sleep over before heading off to Vegas the next day. At first sight it looked worn and dated. Rooms are a good size. Must be said though even though it is a bit dated the bed was comfortable and clean. Bathroom facilities are basic and clean. Tons of hot water in the morning for a nice long shower.
Reception though was small and offered no real facilities. I would not eat the stuff out the vending machines. The person at reception was there really to just hand out your keycard for the room. The in room WiFi did not work for me but spent half the night out partying so did not really bother me.
If you are a light sleeper I would advise against this place. It is right across the road from the railway line and there are trains going through during the night. Considering that some of these trains are 120 carriages long, it could keep you up at night.
If you do stay though and want to go out to breakfast, do try Martanne's just up the road from the Rodeway Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the road to avoid being woken up by the trains going by.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Dipesh P, Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown, responded to this review, February 12, 2015
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We can't thank you enough for sharing the ways that we were able to impress you and the ways that we can continue to improve upon our service and hospitality. I want to assure you that your comments are being taken seriously, passed onto our staff and addressed through continuous improvements to our accommodations and policies. We also hope that you will be far more impressed with our improved accommodations and services during your next visit!
Loxahatchee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2015

Although the building is very last century, the rooms are freshly painted and clean. Perhaps, with a little more attention to decorating, both the rooms and lobby would appear more appealing. I enjoyed the convenience of having a microwave & fridge in my room...The picture over the bed was not centered and a permanent stain on the bedspread, gave the room a shabby look. The heating and cooling system worked perfectly. If you are not fussy about outward appearances and can appreciate the fabulous location, this hotel is a fantastic bargain. I would definitely stay here, again, if I come back to Flagstaff!

Room Tip: 1. Ask for a ground-floor room on the side of the property. Rooms in the back are 2-story and might...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your perspective of our hotel’s accommodations and services. It is great to hear that we were able to meet your expectations of service and hospitality. It is also very helpful for us to hear your comments on areas where we can improve. We hope to see you again and that you'll finally be truly impressed with our improvements.
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

The shower head should be replaced, and the wall plug outside the bathroom and next to the bed did not work, the plug where the clock and phone is plugged in, is very lose, could not use that plug do to it being very loose...other then that was room, and service was fine. I would stay there again if those 3 issue are fixed...

Room Tip: This was a smoking room, and I was impressed that it did not smell of smoke while I was there. The r...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dipesh P, Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2014
We are so glad to hear from you and to learn that we were able to give you a pleasant experience. Your comments and suggestions will help us to recognize our strengths and improve upon our weaknesses. Reviews like yours are extremely helpful in our ambition to continuously improve upon the guest experience and I hope you'll return to see how we grow and evolve. We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

2 words... BED BUGS

I've been reading other travellers reviews. Most people are saying that their experience was an overall pleasant one. My partner and I or rather just my partner just must have been unfortunate with the room we were given. My partner was severely bitten during the night and did not sleep as a result. Somehow I did not get any bites. We know bed bugs were the cause as we spotted some on the mattress. We informed the manager who appeared to be concerned, but I'm not certain she will do much about it..
It is also a really noisy area...My advice would be to pay a little extra and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I think we were in 109 so avoid that room..i would imagine all other rooms would still be noisy
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dipesh P, Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2014
I am so sorry for the unfortunate incident that you experienced regarding the visit of unwelcome pests in your guest room. We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to point out the possibility of a pest problem. Rest assured that we respond to all claims of a pest issue with prompt and professional action. I assure you that we are continuously improving upon our services and accommodations while addressing our policies and procedures for minimizing and attending to these situations. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention so that we can make sure no future guest experiences the same inconvenience. We also hope that you will be far more impressed with our improved accommodations and services during your next visit!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

This hotel is very basic (no shampoo and hair dryer in the room, for example), but perfectly clean and acceptable. I paid $40 a night for a mid-week stay. It has to be the cheapest place to stay in downtown Flagstaff. I think the room rates close to double on the weekends, but it's great value otherwise. But again, it's very basic accommodation. Like, I'm not sure there was heat in the bathroom. But being able to walk to the bars and stuff for so little made it all worth it!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your compliments, rating, and review of our high housekeeping and cleanliness standards. We appreciate that you have taken the time to let us know how you perceived our accommodations. We want you to know that your feedback and description of your experience at our hotel is of utmost importance to us. We hope that everything turned out all right and we are looking forward to seeing you again!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed ate this hotel for one night and found it to be very clean and comfortable . the staff were very pleasant and made us feel very comforable.I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Flagstaff

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
familyinn, Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2014
It is very rewarding to hear from you on this matter and we appreciate that you have acknowledged our efforts to provide a clean, comfortable, and hospitable experience. We are glad you had a pleasant stay and we look forward to your next visit!

Been to Rodeway Inn Downtown? Share your experiences!