“Don't waste your time.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 34 Attractions in Flagstaff
Type: History Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally constructed as the Coconino County Hospital this museum includes a main building, barn and cabin that offer exhibits and crafts demonstrations pertaining to life in the early 1900s.
Flagstaff, Arizona
10 attraction reviews
“Don't waste your time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have lived in Flagstaff for 15 years and this was my first time here. I will probably wait another 20 years to go back. The price was high for such a small museum and there was no rhyme or rhythm to the place. It is kind of separated by different years in the different rooms but not much is labeled it just seems like a bunch of stuff from that respective time period was thrown in a room. It is a very small museum with not much to look at. The best thing about it were the old pictures of Flagstaff and there were not many of those. Don't worry about missing this one, you will not miss much.

Visited August 2014

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Long Overdue Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My parents and I thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to the museum- long overdue having lived in Flagstaff for 27 years! The displays were incredibly interesting and we loved all of the bits and pieces of local history included in the signage- so many events and people that we'd never heard of before! And to see them interwoven with the sate and national events via the timelines- fascinating! Since our first visit I've found myself on the internet searching for additional stories on the characters and incidents introduced through the museum's exhibits.

-Sheryl

Arizona
11 attraction reviews
“Lots of history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Lots of history. The staff were very friendly & informative. They are still working on some exhibits; however, still was a great stop for us. We will go back next time we are there.

London, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
“Different museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I found this museum very different from museums in England. I went with family and we were greeted by a very pleasant woman who was clearly interested in her museum and gave us some interesting information before we went in. The museum was an old hospital building from the 1930s It had different sections eg childrens school room and nurses living quarters. It had lots of photos of the past for the school and instruments etc, including an Iron lung for the medical side of things and some lotions and potions. It was a real find and so interesting. It was 'set in its own times' eg 1910 - 1960s and pre 1880s, Outside there was a wonderful piece of history with old houses including rocking chairs and barns and pieces of machinery for the farm. I loved this bit. I also liked the prices for things in the past and the comparison to now.
It is worth the visit and at six dollars is not expensive although in the UK museums are free. It is child friendly and the facilities are clean and well maintained. I would have liked a hook for my handbag and there are not baby firendly.

Okawville
14 attraction reviews
“A Great Step Back In Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This museum is located in an old hospital building from the 1930s. It was saved and preserved to house a myriad of antiques and items from the past, both relating to the hospital and regular household items. The collection is huge and each room of the hospital holds items separated by the years, ie. 1920, 1930, etc. A couple of the rooms are furnished with the original equipment, such as the operating room, the nurses quarters, etc. The volunteer on duty was very knowledgeable and provided some great insight and anecdotes of the history and times of the hospital. One item in particular is an iron lung, which had been used fairly recently and has an interesting story with it. This museum is a one-of-a-kind and worth your time to visit. Nominal fee of $6 to see it, but worth the price. Make it a definite stop in your travels to the area. Look for the old articulated steam engine in front - another neat item to look at. Highly recommend. A+ rating.

Visited December 2013

Been to Pioneer Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Pioneer Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.